Flying in the current expansion

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
As someone who is indifferent to flight, and I am, believe me. I don't care either way. I think Pathfinder's okay. I know some people don't like the gating. I'm personally just hanging out.

But back to my point, as someone who is indifferent to flight, even I feel like the OP's idea is stupid AF. Not trying to be rude, just being blunt.
03/13/2017 01:41 PMPosted by Mimikyu
03/13/2017 01:35 PMPosted by Sadplant
Face it, flying as it is in WoW is a cheat code in any other game.

I... just... No

Flying, no flying, I play the game I want to within whatever rules are in place. But ask yourself - why do you really want to fly? I know peoplesay "it's my dragon, I wanna fly it now" and "my biggest pleasure in the game is soaring through the air" - but I know why I reach for that flying mount, and so do you - it's because it's easier. No need to plan a route, no need to fight stuff along the way - you can even just point yourself in the right direction, auto-run, and go fetch a fresh bottle of Mountain Dew.

Flying is a shortcut, a way to get around content you aren't interested in at the moment and get to the objective faster. Just leveled a character through WoD content, taking every shortcut I could because I was anxious to get into Legion - flying, heirlooms, DMF hats. At the bottom of it you cannot honestly deny that the reason you want to fly is because it's the easy path - the cheat code.

I've said it before, I'm not opposed to flight - far from it, and it does occasionally annoy me I am unlikely to get the ability during this. I am opposed to the delusion that taking the easy path isn't the primary, nearly entire, motivation for wanting flight.
03/13/2017 06:44 PMPosted by Arlei
03/13/2017 01:41 PMPosted by Mimikyu

I... just... No

Flying, no flying, I play the game I want to within whatever rules are in place. But ask yourself - why do you really want to fly? I know peoplesay "it's my dragon, I wanna fly it now" and "my biggest pleasure in the game is soaring through the air" - but I know why I reach for that flying mount, and so do you - it's because it's easier. No need to plan a route, no need to fight stuff along the way - you can even just point yourself in the right direction, auto-run, and go fetch a fresh bottle of Mountain Dew.

Flying is a shortcut, a way to get around content you aren't interested in at the moment and get to the objective faster. Just leveled a character through WoD content, taking every shortcut I could because I was anxious to get into Legion - flying, heirlooms, DMF hats. At the bottom of it you cannot honestly deny that the reason you want to fly is because it's the easy path - the cheat code.

I've said it before, I'm not opposed to flight - far from it, and it does occasionally annoy me I am unlikely to get the ability during this. I am opposed to the delusion that taking the easy path isn't the primary, nearly entire, motivation for wanting flight.

Great write-up to someone's response comparing it to a cheat code. /eyeroll

Flying past irrelevant content *faster*=/=easier. Don't pretend not flying is difficult in any way, shape or form.
03/13/2017 06:47 PMPosted by Berry
03/13/2017 06:44 PMPosted by Arlei

Flying past irrelevant content *faster*=/=easier. Don't pretend not flying is difficult in any way, shape or form.

Let me bold it for you, champ: At the bottom of it you cannot honestly deny that the reason you want to fly is because it's the easy path - the cheat code. And it's faster because you can fly over the stuff that gets in the way - in other words, it's easier.
03/13/2017 06:53 PMPosted by Arlei
03/13/2017 06:47 PMPosted by Berry

Let me bold it for you, champ: At the bottom of it you cannot honestly deny that the reason you want to fly is because it's the easy path - the cheat code. And it's faster because you can fly over the stuff that gets in the way - in other words, it's easier.

Again, faster=/=easier. The fact that you're even trying to humor the point that flying is analogous to a "cheat code" speaks volumes about your intelligence.
Flying doesn't trivialize content. Flying does nothing to content because content can't be completed while you're flying short of those handful of quests that require flying to complete.

Gear trivializes content and it's bizarre how people forget that in a game that's so focused on acquiring better gear for the sole purpose of making challenging content easier to defeat.

It's been a rather bizarre adjustment since I bought Legion over the weekend and started leveling up compared to what I've seen on the PTR since flying was added.

As I move from quest hub to quest hub, I see a dozen people stacked up AFK on the flight masters (the name plate stacking fills my screen). It's like they lost interest in the game and tabbed out to do other things. On the PTR, people are actively running around and doing things. It's extremely rare to see more than one or two people AFK at a flight master.

Flying is not the demon. It never has been. It's simply something that makes it possible for us to use our time more efficiently so we can enjoy more of what we actually like about the game.
03/13/2017 01:59 PMPosted by Sadplant
03/13/2017 01:48 PMPosted by Lucrend

Mobs that I severely out gear? Not a threat. Players? Try again I'm on a pve server. How is it harder being on the ground? All being on the ground does is increase the time it takes me to get from point A to point B. More time = tedium.

Guess what? It's not all about you.

Guess what genius..... you're 100% right in this statement. Have a look in the mirror though.
It is not all about you either.
03/13/2017 02:03 PMPosted by Sadplant
03/13/2017 01:53 PMPosted by Fenalor

How is it a cheat code let's start there?

Also why do you feel entitled to force everyone else to give up flying for the way you feel is best to play the game?

Flying has nothing to do with exclusion and time isn't really a issue in games like Zelda nor do they remove your abilities arbitrarily for no good reason making it a poor compairison.

Flying is just about moving from a to b more directly and quickly. There is no inherent benefit to it aside from lowering the down time between content. If you enjoy bordom, the tops of trees, and nonthreatening enemies annoying you then ground mounts are great. If you enjoy playing the content of the game and dislike down time and alt tab flight paths then flying is more your style.

In WoW it's not a cheat code, but in any other game, free, unrestricted movement in any direction for a indefinite time period is a cheat code.

Why play an open world mmo if all you want to do is bash the loot pinatas with as little time between as possible?
That's literally what diablo 3 is. If all of you would go play that they'd stop turning WoW into it.

And yet D3 does not have flying..... can anyone else see the stupidity of this argument?
03/13/2017 03:00 PMPosted by Ravianna
03/13/2017 02:48 PMPosted by Sadplant
You all are babies, flying is your pacifier, and pathfinder is the weening process. I cannot wait for the day that I login and see all the people who won't play the game without flying, gone for good.

Pathfinder is like Obamacare, an attempt to "fix" something that was never broke to begin with and ends up breaking what it was attempting to "fix".

Health Insurance was a scam even before Obamacare. If it was a fair system it would be regulated on the medical field with everyone paying a fair share versus hospitals scamming you for 100 dollar qtips if you don't bother to look at your bill.
03/13/2017 02:48 PMPosted by Sadplant
You all are babies, flying is your pacifier, and pathfinder is the weening process. I cannot wait for the day that I login and see all the people who won't play the game without flying, gone for good.

Ok so according to you I'm a baby, nice real mature insult there.
This conversation has descended to name calling and insults so I feel it is acceptable to respond in kind.

You called me a baby...fine, it is better to be a baby than the contents of their diapers as you appear to be.
03/13/2017 07:46 PMPosted by Joynal
Flying is not the demon. It never has been. It's simply something that makes it possible for us to use our time more efficiently so we can enjoy more of what we actually like about the game.
It's pretty impressive that, in the span of only a couple years, Blizzard managed to convince a number of people that a feature that was first implemented 11 years ago is the single greatest evil in the game, despite the overworld experience being universally worse since their grand experiment started in 2014.
well,

Legion, Loremaster

Kalimdor, Explorer

and the rest

nada, zip, zero, zilch as far as any achievements so it stands to reason you that flying is not your cup of tea but then neither has been the bulk of the game.
Imagine how boring a pokemon game would be without any of this.
Nice pokemon Analogy, let me give you one.

Imagine being forced to walk through a low level cave without a repel to be able to get to a town you were already into.

You should fight all of those low level Zubats because otherwise it would be cheating right? and having to fight every single one of them is immersive and not annoying at all right?
I'm tired of this topic. Whether or not I buy the next expansion depends on one thing: when we can fly. If we can fly on launch patch day (though having to do all the quests and explore the lands first is fine), then I will. If not, then I won't.

I won't be duped again.
03/13/2017 01:39 PMPosted by Lucrend
Tedium on the ground is NOT content. It's not any harder being confined to the ground.

You people are ridiculous.

Well said brother. You got my vote.
03/13/2017 02:13 PMPosted by Sadplant
why climb Mount Everest when you can take a helicopter?

And yet the overwhelming majority of people do climb Mount Everest when it is possible to land on a helicopter. It's also possible to glide back down, but most people walk back down.
03/13/2017 01:39 PMPosted by Lucrend
Tedium on the ground is NOT content. It's not any harder being confined to the ground.

You people are ridiculous.

Of course it's harder. You have enemies to worry about, treasure to spot, other players to avoid (pvp servers) and a host of other things to do that dissapear when you can just fly around as you please.
If you don't like the game as it's designed than GTFO. Don't let the door hit ya!
Shut up meg
03/13/2017 09:41 PMPosted by Bigkitties
Of course it's harder.

How is instantly teleporting to a flightmaster more difficult than flying there yourself?

You have enemies to worry about

Please be joking.

treasure to spot

What does a chest with 200ap tokens have to do with difficulty?

a host of other things to do that dissapear when you can just fly around as you please.

The only thing that disappears when I can fly is unnecessary down time.

If you don't like the game as it's designed than GTFO. Don't let the door hit ya!

People leaving the game over the decision to abandon flight moving forward is a large part of why the developers were told in no uncertain terms that flight would be incorporated into the game world by the people that pay their salary. I sincerely doubt Ion wants to be stuck eating crow a second time because you're encouraging another player boycott.