Whats wrong with Warlords of Dreanor

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
02/28/2017 12:58 AMPosted by Xialla
My personal deepest point of dislike was the story itself. AUs and time travel are pretty much the cheapest plot devices ever.

This and I think garrisons are terrible. Class halls are much better.

Btw, it's really easy to say you like WoD now, after the fixes were done. It was a different ball of wax when you were playing it currently.
It launched with a single daily quest that was generally a boring "go here and slaughter monsters to fill a blue bar" stuff.

It wasn't until 6.1 that they finally added something else to do and even that was disappointing.
Literally 90% of the expansion was supposed to involve your garrison and followers. The other 10% was leveling, gearing to pre-raid level and then doing your clear of the raid once per week. There was absolutely nothing else and what I spent the most time on during WoD was improving my collections and challenge modes at the very start and very end of the expac.

That is why its amazing that they added a garrison 2.0 and more followers with table missions in Legion. They don't learn from their mistakes they just think they implemented it wrong... somehow.
It was too savage.
To add, the knock on effect is that Blizzard took the complaints about lack of content and has decided that busy work was an acceptable form of content so long as there was always sonething to do.

This is why we have the AP grind now.. and why said grind is about to get much bigger with 7.2. To the point where Blizzard wants the AP grind to last through the rest of this expansion so that there is 'Always something to work towards.'
At least in WoD I didn't have bots coming in stealing my herbs and ore lol
If not for garrisons WoD would have been awesome. Too much time and energy went into something the majority of us despised. Yes, majority because complaints > participation.

We don't play an MMO to get RTS elements.
It started with a bang, great story, great leveling experience, artwork as always was fantastic. I believe the raiding was well received, looking for raid was fun so I got to think higher raiding was very enjoyable.

Other than that it fell flat on its face after about a year, maybe before that. Garrisons were cool, but it should have been kept a side show and not made one of the main focuses of the game. The design for mats and professions were cool at first, but in the back of my mind I was thinking it was tooooo easy and the long haul would suffer.
If you played the content and unsubbed or found something else to play a person probably enjoyed it. If you were looking for replay ability and a bit of time\challenge to get things done thru the entire expansion it suffered horribly. That's my opinion, I ended up letting my sub lapse the last 7 or 8 months.
02/28/2017 12:57 AMPosted by Landorus
Not trolling! I am genuinely curious as to why people hate this expansion. I love the new outland and it looks amazing. I just had a cutscene which was totally epic. Just wondering, I'm quite new to wow.
I read everywhere that it is the worst expansion so I'm confused because I love leveling in draenor
Thanks!

The real problem was the content drought. If you go and look up how things were originally planned and what actually was released you can see that something major changed at Blizzard, thus the content drought. Entire Major story arcs were just left or clipped off short. The whole Bronze dragonflight were supposed to have an area that was never completed to go through some of what happened at the Garrosh trial, instead it became a footnote inside the legendary quest line if i remember right. After years of building Garrosh as a character his ending was less than epic and almost just a footnote at the end of a zone although it has had consequences. Honestly i think it finally sunk in that all Orc story all the time was bad for the game and storytelling in general. It didn't help that we came through the portal and then 2 patches later the big bad guy was our friend in another bit of WTF story telling. Oh don't worry about all the slaughtering of innocents and world conquering you tried to do, that's in the past and we welcome you to help us out, sometimes i wonder who comes up with the story.

People also got upset at Garrisons but mostly that was just a side note becuase after the last patch that was all that was left. WoD was absolutely the least content ever created for an expansion by far. Hell when one of your major content patches is social media you know things are not going well.
I had taken a break mid-Pandaland, and decided to come back for WoD. Then the garrison happened...and kept happening...and kept happening...and kept happening. After about two weeks I realized how central the garrison was to the entire expansion, and quit. It would have been different if it was totally optional like the farm in Pandaland, but to be such a defining and crucial characteristic of an entire expansion? Nah fam. Not for me.
1) log in
2) play with mission table
3) collect worthless resources from my nodes
4) wait an hour go to ashran and play pve to get daily cap (both sides avoided each other at all costs so no actual pvp)
5) log on alt and do the same thing
6) wonder why I am paying 15 bucks a month for that and eventually unsubbed

Leveling was enjoyable, that part was ok but after that...not so much.
WoD was the first time I ever had one of every class at max level and almost had them on both factions. When I get bored I level alts. I leveled an army of them. Right now I have four toons at 110. My horde shaman just hit 110 this weekend and I haven't had much time to do stuff on her so she's just over 800 ilevel. My other two alliance toons have been collecting dust because I've always got stuff to be doing on my main. The worst thing about WoD for me was the garrisons. I freaking hated it. It felt like solitary confinement but still doing hard labor.
You'll learn really quick that every expansion has people crying out "worst expansion ever".

You'll learn that WoW has many different types of players. Elitists who think they deserve whatever they want. 14-17 year old "ayyy lmao git gud 420blazeit" trolls who are there solely to troll. The argumentatives who will tell you why you are wrong, no matter what it is. The casual player who just tries to have fun. Etc etc etc.

Best advice I can give is ignore it. Especially on the forums. It's like WoW MySpace. Have fun, don't take it too serious and makes some similar friends to play with.

I personally thought WOD was really fun.
As someone who started WoW on Alliance in WoD, we're getting the same experience, and I felt the same exact way. I didn't know why people hated WoD so much... and then I hit 100... The mass lack of content really started making me wonder if the WoW subscription was worth it, and I had just started! WoD was just too little content, for too long. Bottom line.
The only thing I liked in WoD was getting from 90-100. I wasn't raiding in WoD, and it was a "raid or GTFO" expansion, so I didn't have anything particularly exciting to do. Garrison chores kept me busy for a little while, and I ran dungeons for a bit at 100, but that all got boring to me very quickly.

At some point I realized I was still paying a subscription fee for a game I hadn't played in 2 months (not that I'm going to go broke over $15 a month, but I might as well have just been wiping my !@# with the $15 a month at that point), so I unsubscribed. Didn't come back until that pre-launch patch for Legion.
I remember how optimistic people were back in the early days of WoD.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/15270207339?page=1

How innocent people were back then, if only they knew.
The questing was really a great start for WoD. But then when 6.1 came out and the highlight was a selfie camera, it went ski slope downhill from there.
02/28/2017 12:57 AMPosted by Landorus
Not trolling! I am genuinely curious as to why people hate this expansion. I love the new outland and it looks amazing. I just had a cutscene which was totally epic. Just wondering, I'm quite new to wow.
I read everywhere that it is the worst expansion so I'm confused because I love leveling in draenor
Thanks!

1. Professions went to hell.
2. Flying debacle.
3. PvP continued it's downward spiral. No new BGs. We got one crappy world PvE event called Ashran. Holinka continues (and still does) to disappoint and let down the PvP crowd.
4. The story line was garbage.
5. Too much time passing between patches.
6. Garrisons were an abomination, failure, and nothing like player housing.
7. The world was small and the terrain sucks!
8. Communication between Blizzard and it's customers declines further.
9. Rare mobs become so easy to kill that spawn rate is substantially increased. Rare mobs are no longer rare.
10. CRZ and Realm hopping increasingly become worse.

That is all I feel like listing at the moment (I got work to do).

/quack
When WoD first was in development Blizz had it in their head that they could push out one expansion per year. Turns out they can't and they just ended up skipping WoD content to work on Legion.
02/28/2017 06:33 AMPosted by Dîomedes
The questing was really a great start for WoD. But then when 6.1 came out and the highlight was a selfie camera, it went ski slope downhill from there.

Selfie-Cam AND Twitter integration.

/golfclap