Death Grip Animation 7.2

Death Knight
Just a cross post from General Discussion, I figured it would be a good idea to bring awareness to the DK forum.

Death Grip is getting a new animation in 7.2, and with it comes slight changes to its mechanics.

The new animation replaces the iconic unholy crackling energy with a purple chain that we toss at the enemy, complete with chain rattling sound effect. The animation is almost a carbon copy of similar skills such as Survival Hunter's grapple or the Abomination's Hook.

However, not only is the animation undergoing a downgrade, it is also getting an added delay; Now you must wait for projectile travel time in addition to the gripping effect as well. This effectively doubles the time it takes to pull a target to you. (Naturally, the time itself is dependent on how far away you are from the target.)

Either the new change must become a glyph, or the old one should. For every one person who likes the new Death Grip animation, there are dozens who don't. The only solution is making enough noise so that Blizzard finally takes notice.

If you don't think the animation is bad, or haven't seen it, here is a link to it:
http://i.imgur.com/E2ZgD4q.png

Here is a link to the General Discussion thread:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753201107

Here is a link to the PTR Thread:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753100383

It is not a placeholder, Blizzard has mentioned on Twitter a month ago along the lines that this was the finished product.
Like, why? Grip is fine how it is.

What a waste or resources.
03/01/2017 09:11 PMPosted by Amberstelle
The only solution is making enough noise so that Blizzard finally takes notice.

They already know, but I don't think it will affect their decision. Here is their Twitter post from over a month ago:

https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/824297937958096896
We've already tried to make a fuss about it. Doesn't seem to be happening, and the best case many think we can hope for is shelling out gold for a glyph to make the ability functional just like we've been forced to with Wrath Walk. It's utter stupidity.
The thing is it's not just an animation change, it's basically the Hook ability our Belcher has, replacing the current version of Death Grip.

"If it's not broken, don't fix it."
I think the new anamation looks very cheesy
It doesn't matter what they say. This is a nerf, and a huge one.
03/02/2017 12:01 PMPosted by Steelgear
It doesn't matter what they say. This is a nerf, and a huge one.
Agreed. (Again.)
I've got an important question which I haven't been able to get onto the ptr to test for myself (no hdd space). When does the grip destination get set, when you launch the projectile or when it connects?

If I throw a grip chain and then move back 5 feet while it's flying through the air will they get pulled back the extra 5 feet when the projectile hits them or get pulled to right in front of where I launched the projectile?

For point of reference the aboms hook waits until the projectile connects to pick the point, and if the new grip works like that then we are going to enter a new age of "100 yard grips", throw a deathgrip at someone as they are running away on their mount, pop wraith walk to run in the opposite direction, by the time the projectile connects the difference between our two distances is so absurd they spend a good couple of seconds flying through the air.

Another point is if it works like the abom hook then we can throw a grip and then run around a corner, in some cases even run inside a building before the grip connects and pull them directly through walls, now I already pull people through walls slightly with positioning, but if this is the change I will be able to grip people way out of line of sight of their supporting players.

What happens if we grip someone and then get thundered off a cliff before the projectile hits?

Obviously the PTR isn't the best place to get try hard PvP data, once players do begin try-harding with it though I suspect this change will be hated by more than just the deathknight community, but by everyone else getting deathgripped as well, as the ability became more cheesy in addition to being much less responsive.
Do not want new Death Grip.
03/02/2017 04:29 PMPosted by Tsalera
I've got an important question which I haven't been able to get onto the ptr to test for myself (no hdd space). When does the grip destination get set, when you launch the projectile or when it connects?

If I throw a grip chain and then move back 5 feet while it's flying through the air will they get pulled back the extra 5 feet when the projectile hits them or get pulled to right in front of where I launched the projectile?

For point of reference the aboms hook waits until the projectile connects to pick the point, and if the new grip works like that then we are going to enter a new age of "100 yard grips", throw a deathgrip at someone as they are running away on their mount, pop wraith walk to run in the opposite direction, by the time the projectile connects the difference between our two distances is so absurd they spend a good couple of seconds flying through the air.

Another point is if it works like the abom hook then we can throw a grip and then run around a corner, in some cases even run inside a building before the grip connects and pull them directly through walls, now I already pull people through walls slightly with positioning, but if this is the change I will be able to grip people way out of line of sight of their supporting players.

What happens if we grip someone and then get thundered off a cliff before the projectile hits?

Obviously the PTR isn't the best place to get try hard PvP data, once players do begin try-harding with it though I suspect this change will be hated by more than just the deathknight community, but by everyone else getting deathgripped as well, as the ability became more cheesy in addition to being much less responsive.

I really dislike quoting such large messages but I'm really curious about this as well. I'm going to see if I can find someone on the PTR to test this with but if it works from point of contact there are going to be some really absurd things you can do to essentially grief other players.

This is also going to be a big pain for PvE, grip is essential as a tank and having it not instant will slow down runs and mess up big pulls. For instance, you can now grip a caster to you, then interrupt it almost immediately while running to the next group of mobs. With the change you will have to either wait for the mob to get to you, or have someone else interrupt if (both of which is slowing down the group).

If I can find someone to test some of this specific stuff with this weekend I'll reply back here (unless someone does prior to that)

From the footage I've seen, it sets to where you are when the projectile connects. This also allows you to not actually be where the target lands if you're moving during a chase, etc. All around, this change is just plain awful with numerous downsides, and not a single positive note about it.
03/02/2017 05:00 PMPosted by Manarri

From the footage I've seen, it sets to where you are when the projectile connects. This also allows you to not actually be where the target lands if you're moving during a chase, etc. All around, this change is just plain awful with numerous downsides, and not a single positive note about it.

I can't check it tonight, have an 8 AM physics lab, but I'll be able to test to see how this works on the PTR tomorrow. I'll post an update with what I find out.
Okay...I can confirm that the new Death Grip doesn't grip to your current location, but instead to your location when you hit the button. Meaning, that if you hit Death Grip, and the animation is still playing, you cannot move or the target won't be gripped to your location.

http://i.imgur.com/KGSH4uj.png

The red line is my movement, the purple is the movement due to the Grip.

Just tested this on Live, and it would appear that the issue exists in the current DG, however because there is no delay, the issue is significantly lessened, so unless you are at a very far distance, there is almost no problem. However with the delay, this distance is magnified.

The gap distance is about double of what it is on Live...
This sounds really !@#$ty. DO NOT WANT
03/03/2017 12:22 PMPosted by Amberstelle
Okay...I can confirm that the new Death Grip doesn't grip to your current location, but instead to your location when you hit the button. Meaning, that if you hit Death Grip, and the animation is still playing, you cannot move or the target won't be gripped to your location.

Thank you for testing!
I was afraid of this possibility as it's basically just a strait Nerf, gives our opponent more reaction time, more time to see it coming an use something like blink or disengage mid way through to prevent us from ever connecting to the target.

I can't help but think of the time they changed warrior charge so you could no longer jump the charge, so the warrior would reliably connect to the target, and then I can't help but think that they are doing the opposite with death grip now, making it less likely that we will be in the correct place to attack our death grip target after a grip.
In case none of you were not here when DK's came out, this was the animation we started with, a chain instead of purple lightening. It got changed a couple of months into WOTLK.

Blizzard is reverting it back after over 8 years and calling it "new.".

Because recycling = "new"

Someone fire Ion NOWPLZ KTHX!
It's trash. Why waste resources and time on something that is perfectly fine?
Why change something that is core and unique of DKs?

DKs have low mobility. Having control over others is their unique gameplay trait. Ranged snare and Grip is what defines death knight's competitive advantage (or at least did before the mess that is legion because now rets have that too, and more mobility and freedom)

Nerfing death grip for the sake of visuals is placing priority on aesthetics over gameplay. It goes to show where their priorities lie, and that's !@#$ed up.

Either that or its a nerf cloaked with the smoke and mirrors of a visual change. And that is not ok. Dks have no mobility or utility as it is. Death grip is the only unique utility they bring to raids. now you want to nerf that so you can put some hook animation?

Remove the originality of Death grip for a generic hook? Really?