Trying to figure out these portals

General Discussion
I am a little concerned about all these portals that are positioned around Azeroth.

It is like we use them daily and without fail they take our character to the other side of the portal, through the portal and some how we reappear on the other side.

Here is the thing that troubles me a little, what happens while inside these portals? Where do they take us first? Do they delete our character then recreate it again on the other side?

I need to know and I am sure I am asking the right people, so can you please tell me what you know about these Portals?
If they are like Star Trek, they de-atomize and re-combobulate us.

If they are Eienstien-Rosen portals, we just travel from A to B in less than a millisecond.

If they are something we dont know of, we go through a whale, get pooped out then reform at the other end.
I always assumed that since you can see what is on the other side of the portal that creating one is bending space so that those to points connect. Like a wormhole.
Or the real you is just dropped into wood chipper. Meanwhile, the perfect clone of you on the other side possesses all your memories leading up to the point where you stepped into the portal, and has no idea that he's just a copy of the now dead original.
I think portals just link 2 places together. So stepping through a portal is basically the same as taking 2 steps forward, but instead of only moving 2 steps forward you've traveled 2000+ steps.
I don't wonder about things like that.

I find it helps to bellow my favorite motivational Katy Perry song and jump through the portal with my arms wide open.
Think they're like Stargates, once open they are one way directional with a burst of chill on the other side.
03/05/2017 10:38 PMPosted by Flintwick
Or the real you is just dropped into wood chipper. Meanwhile, the perfect clone of you on the other side possesses all your memories leading up to the point where you stepped into the portal, and has no idea that he's just a copy of the now dead original.

That would not be efficient. The perfect clone is sent on his way with your memories, your original is sent to the Kaja'mines to work for the rest of his days.

What, you think those portals are free?
03/05/2017 10:05 PMPosted by Iceacid
Here is the thing that troubles me a little, what happens while inside these portals? Where do they take us first?

The loading screen.
Thanks everyone, I am sure that covered most of how we could imagine portal being sort of like the time between opening and closing of eyelids inside a blink of an eye.

The loading screen, I like to think that is the cover up.
03/05/2017 10:21 PMPosted by Rorric
I always assumed that since you can see what is on the other side of the portal that creating one is bending space so that those to points connect. Like a wormhole.

I always thought this as well.