DPS Meters

General Discussion
I guess I need to get a DPS meter to make sure I am doing enough damage when I am in groups or especially in LFR. What is a good one to get?

Wait nevermind. I don't care and I am sure someone will tell me if I am not doing enough.
Skada or Details. Preferably Skada.

None of that Recount crap.

EDIT: Why the downvotes? It's relatively common knowledge at this point that Recount is a bit too bulky of an addon compared to the other two.
The general consensus is Skada/Details. Recount tends to be a bit inaccurate (at least from my experiences) compared to the other two. Any of the three are fine though.
I use recount for my own edification, I only care what my own dps is, or someone else in my same class, so I can see if I'm doing the best I can, or need to tweek something.
It's entirely the user's preference. Both should provide comparable data.

I use Skada, only because it resets automatically before each fight, whereas Recount requires a manual reset for me.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you were kicked for low dps in lfr
I use Skada in LFR but for me it is to gauge my healing relative to the other healers. I don't really do much with DPS classes.
Recount uses a huge amount of memory can can cause serious lag in the game for you.

I use skada but only for my own benefit to see how I'm doing and improving over time and upgraded gear.
death meter tells you waaaaay more about what's going wrong than DPS meter, tbh
03/07/2017 03:11 PMPosted by Brockthorn
Recount uses a huge amount of memory can can cause serious lag in the game for you.

I use skada but only for my own benefit to see how I'm doing and improving over time and upgraded gear.

I've been using Recount and have yet to experience this so called lag from it.
03/07/2017 03:13 PMPosted by Malefius
death meter tells you waaaaay more about what's going wrong than DPS meter, tbh

On my really bad nights, when I can't win damage meters, I will link these to the group.

I might not be the best at putting out damage sometimes, but I will be the best at something!
Details, if its the one I'm thinking of, is broken. It functions on the level that a vehicle without an engine would function. My GM keeps insisting on using it, and swearing by it, even though it consistently reports people as doing one-third to two-thirds of what Recount or Skada report.
03/07/2017 03:28 PMPosted by Shudder
I might not be the best at putting out damage sometimes

Only one can be "best".
Everyone else is "less than best".

In a raid of many players, only one will be "top DPS" or "best".

Whenever you rank things (best to worst) there will always be a top and a bottom.
This does not mean that the bottom is "bad", just that he is below the others.
And it does not mean the top is "good", just that he is above the others.

If the raid is looking for 300k dps as a minimum standard and the worst guy does 320k, then he was not "bad", just that everyone else did more.
03/07/2017 03:33 PMPosted by Aarschott
03/07/2017 03:28 PMPosted by Shudder
I might not be the best at putting out damage sometimes

Only one can be "best".
Everyone else is "less than best".

In a raid of many players, only one will be "top DPS" or "best".

Whenever you rank things (best to worst) there will always be a top and a bottom.
This does not mean that the bottom is "bad", just that he is below the others.
And it does not mean the top is "good", just that he is above the others.

If the raid is looking for 300k dps as a minimum standard and the worst guy does 320k, then he was not "bad", just that everyone else did more.

Okay.

I wasn't really arguing otherwise.

It comes down to what the op wants from the game and why a damage meter, or the lack of having one, came up as an issue. He really did not specify so I just thought I'd state something amusing; that I link total death meters when I am winning on them.

It's a joke. You can laugh about it if you want.

For the op - I use Details personally.
If you are getting kicked then, yeah, maybe run a meter, but I have not run with them for a long time and am having way more fun. Why stress yourself when you are p-l-a-y-i-n-g a g-a-m-e? Sounds way too much like work to me.
Skada is for simplified damage numbers. it's accurate if you just want the simplest form of damage meter.

Details is for the numbers freak, like me. I want to see how much healing was done at what time, what heals I took, how much damage someone did, when they did it, how damage someone took, what damage they took and when, and the deaths in the group, when they happened, and to what.

They're not necessary for a majority of the player base, because a MAJORITY of the player base could care less. They're pretty much necessary for people who want to push content, look at mythic clears, etc.
03/07/2017 02:36 PMPosted by Slante
Wait nevermind. I don't care and I am sure someone will tell me if I am not doing enough.

I hate them too. In fact, they're my LEAST favorite part of WoW.

But, and I say this as one filthy casual to another: Get one. Don't be a chump.
yes, people will ALWAYS tell you you suck, or aren't good enough. That's because this game is full of people who can't feel better about themselves unless they're putting others down. That and DPS Meters are two separate things though.

DPS meters wil help you do more damage, in fact, I'd say a meter is better for improving your play than ANY single piece of gear you could get.
Why?

Because it will show you what you're doing in a way that just playing simply can't. Not only that, it will show you the people who are doing thousands of DPS more than you - in the same, or worse, spec and gear. And seeing that, you can then start to rationally look at how maybe you can get better so you're not letting any group you're in down.

Then, when the butt-chapeaus start trashing on you, you can at least ignore it because you'll know that no matter what they say, (and say things they will), you are doing your best to be a solid member of he group. It's not about other people friend, it's about doing the best you can do, or that you want to do. Doing the best you can doesn't shut the jerks up, but it does make you immune to their taunts and mudslinging.

FWIW: I use skada, it's not perfect, nothing is, but it helps me look at what's going on, and tune my play to where it should be. I'll never be elite, but I'm okay with that, since I know I can hold up my end of the group and contribute to the overall success. And that's the point of Co-Op play after all.
03/07/2017 03:28 PMPosted by Lornirdin
Details, if its the one I'm thinking of, is broken. It functions on the level that a vehicle without an engine would function. My GM keeps insisting on using it, and swearing by it, even though it consistently reports people as doing one-third to two-thirds of what Recount or Skada report.
that's because details works in absolute time not uptime. It strictly takes damage done and divides by time just like a ranking log would.
Any of the meters above will work. The first step in the direction of personal improvement as a DPS is a meter. Knowing what is/isn't working will help you in every aspect of the game. Good luck.
I tend to have the view that everyone should be running meters but they should never be posted publicly.