Tanking is terrible

General Discussion
1 2 3 14 Next
7 groups in a row tonight on my tank alts. Every single one had at least 1 hunter with pet taunt on and in every single one of them they were pulling ahead of me. Even had a warlock purposefully pull out infernal and start grabbing extra packs.

No wonder people hate tanking so much now. I won't be doing it ever again
Tanking is much more enjoyable when you don't pug.
Blame Blizz for making dungeons not actually require 5 people.

In the meantime, all you can do is:

1) Ask them politely to let you pull so you can practice

or

2) Pull faster so they do not have the desire to pull for you
at this point tanks are optional in rdf
and in every single one of them they were pulling ahead of me.

You are pulling too small or too slowly.
03/21/2017 02:02 AMPosted by Anadiction
at this point tanks are optional in rdf

Healers are optional too.
03/21/2017 01:45 AMPosted by Anïmal
7 groups in a row tonight on my tank alts. Every single one had at least 1 hunter with pet taunt on and in every single one of them they were pulling ahead of me. Even had a warlock purposefully pull out infernal and start grabbing extra packs.

03/21/2017 02:39 AMPosted by Verbatim
and in every single one of them they were pulling ahead of me.

As much as I greatly dislike people that pull for the tank, I have to agree with Verbatim. If this is happening with such frequency, and you even had a warlock purposefully do what he did, something is up with your pulling, OP.
03/21/2017 02:39 AMPosted by Verbatim

Have you considered that the tank alts in question are under geared and cant handle the extra mobs? Dps expectations as the expansion progresses vs tanks ability to handle it.

He might be pulling slowly in the eyes of the dps, but for the tank AND HEALER WHO HAS TO KEEP HIM AND THE GROUP ALIVE, his pulls are probably just fine.
i have main a tank and an alt dps. both of them i played quite well. When i tank, i dont mind rdps aggro, as long they pull it in a pack so its easily for me to aoe them, just thunder clap one time so i can take aggro.

When i dps, sometime i did help pull more adds, while tank is pulling another adds. Cause i know tank is over ilvl900 and tanking in +2 - +10 mythic plus should be ez pz, unless they have different affix, like bolstering or necrotic. Then I wont be doing ANY PULLING.
You rp too much then.

I never let anyone pull anything ahead of me, when they pull is stuff behind me. Sometimes healers stand still to watch me die and i always disappoint them, sometimes dps too.

It may be just me but thats why i love tanking.
03/21/2017 01:45 AMPosted by Anïmal

No wonder people hate tanking so much now. I won't be doing it ever again

Feel free to stop tanking, no one will mind.

Have you considered that the tank alts in question are under geared and cant handle the extra mobs? Dps expectations as the expansion progresses vs tanks ability to handle it.

He might be pulling slowly in the eyes of the dps, but for the tank AND HEALER WHO HAS TO KEEP HIM AND THE GROUP ALIVE, his pulls are probably just fine.

If every group pulls ahead of him he is doing an awful job of tanking and his pulls are obviously not fine. I don't even know why you would try to create this scenario where the tank/healer are incredibly weak and then think the DPS wouldn't be doing the smart thing and pull without them.

Are you just one of those 'the community is horrible wahh wahhh wahhhh' trolls?
If you learning to tank , i suggest you continue queuing or make premades

Best time to learn it is while leveling that way you won't have confidence issues at max level and know when the favour is in your odds. You pretty much have instant queue so a bad group means kill one boss leave, queue again

Generally 15 -30 and 60 -68, are pretty much safe areas to learn how to tank. Since both are noob friendly areas 60 -68 being known for noob Dks learning to tank
As a warlock, we have a ranged abilities, great for grabbing the attention of mobs.

We also have absurd levels of self-sustain where not only does our damage provide shielding, but affliction's main channel also provides healing.

If the warlock has a lot of gear, they can pretty much solo Normal, Heroic, and even Mythic dungeons without much hassle (though won't be beating any higher Mythic+ timers solo).

If you can't keep pace, swap to DPS and enjoy the gravy train to more artifact power.

On my DK alt (who runs either Blood or Unholy) they have literally no gear except for the Kil'jaeden trinket, but the way to keep DPS from pulling ahead of you is to simply keep moving. The only time to ever really 'stop' is if you got a big enough clump of mobs and your group is starting up their AoE shenanigans.

All I do for tanking dungeons is just run ahead, tag things with a disease, keep running until mobs start to cause some damage, then go about the usual rotation of actually pushing buttons, there's no need to treat every trash pack like it were a raid boss.
I think I am going to make a video of me 'tanking' a normal dungeon while 'undergeared' (actually going to be naked) while I auto follow a very geared DPS player who will clear the dungeon while I do nothing. This will prove just how important the trinity of the roles is like you all believe. If you guys are correct god will surely strike the DPS player down for breaking the laws of world of warcraft dungeon finder pugs.

I mean really, how dare anyone pull faster than a tank wants to? They are the most important person in the universe.
If the dps pull some for you to grab then I say let them. It does help and that's probably what some will do. But if they get too big for their pants then warn them otherwise a wipe may happen. (Seen this happen before. I was even in a dungeon where a hunter pull entire room. Nearly wipe. They were lucky tank was able to handle it and me as healer was able to keep up with heals.) However , I'd speed ahead of them so they'll have a hard time to try to pull.
03/21/2017 04:08 AMPosted by Bludru
Feel free to stop tanking, no one will mind.

and this is why the queue is 50 minutes
I'm enjoying it a lot this expansion. If people are monging stuff up in your pugs, just kick them with a condescending message about whatever they're doing wrong. Works like a charm outside of M+.
03/21/2017 01:51 AMPosted by Bearfu
Tanking is much more enjoyable when you don't pug.

What Bearfu said. Also, BRM great guide Bear.
im still learning to gauge how good the group is before we start. if everyone is 1.7 mill health i know its going to be a slow run. Had a warrior pulling 90-90k last night. O.o If people pull ahead im okay with it as long as they can handle it, mobs dieing faster is never a bad thing.
I do think people should stop treating heroic dungeons like timed mythics though.