Tanking is terrible

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 14 Next
03/21/2017 05:01 AMPosted by Dimensir
03/21/2017 04:08 AMPosted by Bludru
Feel free to stop tanking, no one will mind.

and this is why the queue is 50 minutes

I'd rather wait an hour to get into a group where the tank can keep up than wait 30 minutes for a group that takes 60+ minutes because the tank is awful.
03/21/2017 02:39 AMPosted by Verbatim
and in every single one of them they were pulling ahead of me.

You are pulling too small or too slowly.

For once I agree with you.
On my healers, I have a macro asking dps to stop pulling but they usually ignore it. I find mages and hunters the main ones trying to tank. "well he needs to go faster'. It's a TEAM and the tank leads. If it's too slow for you then drop out or roll a tank yourself. People don't seem to get the concept of team work or the concept of playing their role.

Dps pulling makes the healer's job harder also.
Were they low level or heroics with dps who outgeared it? If nobody's dying, just roll with it.

Edit: I'm speaking from a tank's perspective here. I'll take the downvotes to mean you all would prefer that I yell at/kick you when your aoe goes haywire?
Well you did the right thing OP, you ran to the forums and had a big cry, which seems to be the tough tank thing to do judging from the amount of times it happens.

Everyone has bad groups, and people pulling extra isn't just a tanking problem, but some just suck it up as part of the game, and others need their tissues and a shoulder to cry on.
03/21/2017 05:18 AMPosted by Expeedia
On my healers, I have a macro asking dps to stop pulling but they usually ignore it. I find mages and hunters the main ones trying to tank. "well he needs to go faster'. It's a TEAM and the tank leads. If it's too slow for you then drop out or roll a tank yourself. People don't seem to get the concept of team work or the concept of playing their role.

Dps pulling makes the healer's job harder also.

If you can't keep up with the DPS you should probably be the one to drop group. What is the reason you think the DPS should only attack what the tank pulls? If the DPS who pull take too much damage from their pulling ahead then they will die and they won't be able to do it. If they can do it without dying what is the possible reason you have for saying its a bad idea?

If you are going slower than the group could be and speeding up doesn't add much risk then you should speed up. This isn't rocket science.
I just follow a you pull you tank it policy on mine anymore.

If you go pulling more stuff and I don't notice you better be ready to deal with it, I already have a path i'm taking the group on that often involves skipping groups we don't need.

The number of times I have seen a dps suddenly fall over dead cause they decided to go find more packs while we are already fighting is astounding.
When I tank, and someone pulls for me. I will ask them not to in chat. If they continue, I let them die on boss before I taunt. Simple. Tank dictates the pace, but should do so with the healer in mind.
I almost always run with a friend that is a healer. If people pull out of line, just stop wasting resources on them and let them tank until they die. If they get upset, getting three votes to kick is tough since it would take all 3 dps to do it, and if they succeed, they loose both tank and heals. A bit of a fortunate situation I have managed to land in, but i'm also guessing is on the rare side.
03/21/2017 05:33 AMPosted by Eviscerator
When I tank, and someone pulls for me. I will ask them not to in chat. If they continue, I let them die on boss before I taunt. Simple. Tank dictates the pace, but should do so with the healer in mind.

What happens when they completely embarrass you and solo the boss making it crystal clear that you can't dictate anything to anybody because you aren't actually more important?
I am one of those hunters (minus the pet taunt). I hate when tanks complain that stuff is being pulled for them. I am just as capable of pacing a dungeon as a tank. I know the pulls inside out. If I wiped the group by all means kick me. The ones I hate are the tanks that whine even though there is no problems, they just have this god complex that they have to be the ones to hit something first.

03/21/2017 05:54 AMPosted by Verbatim

What happens when they completely embarrass you and solo the boss making it crystal clear that you can't dictate anything to anybody because you aren't actually more important?

is my favorite
Had a tank going dps while I was on my heal.

I refuse to heal him as that normally leads to no real gain as other dps pull as well and while I can keep one dps up, I was not as geared to keep 4 dps each getting agro from a different mob.

He was doing OK but died 3 or 4 times before they kicked me (close to the end of HOV) . Noone else died though. :)

So yes tanks (and heals) are optional with geared group but please be considerate and play your assigned role. It is not fun when dps pulls and your AOE move is on CD.
03/21/2017 04:40 AMPosted by Verbatim
I think I am going to make a video of me 'tanking' a normal dungeon while 'undergeared' (actually going to be naked) while I auto follow a very geared DPS player who will clear the dungeon while I do nothing. This will prove just how important the trinity of the roles is like you all believe. If you guys are correct god will surely strike the DPS player down for breaking the laws of world of warcraft dungeon finder pugs.

I mean really, how dare anyone pull faster than a tank wants to? They are the most important person in the universe.

Wow, aren't you so smart? Players easily clearing content they vastly overgear? They must be so good!!
03/21/2017 03:21 AMPosted by Tastywalls
03/21/2017 02:02 AMPosted by Anadiction
at this point tanks are optional in rdf

Healers are optional too.

About a month ago we 2-chested a +6 BRH with a healer and 4 dps (including me as an undergeared feral). We didn't set out to do it; we just had 5 people who wanted to run but no tank, and said screw it, let's go.

If you have a couple tough melees that way outgear the content, then yeah, you can get away with a lot.
Did you tell the hunters to turn growl off? Switching between WQs and dungeons means the growl constantly goes on and off. Sometimes we just forget. If you told them and they still didn't go off then I'm sorry.
Stop pugging, and the game will instantly become more enjoyable.
You tag it you tank it.

If you want to pull a pack, I'll let you tank it and I'll go pull the next one.

The problem usually sorts itself out. They usually get tired of dying or the healer chooses to heal me over them.

Good luck! =)
That's been happening since van it's nothing new you have 2 choices let them continue to pull and die or out pace them and force them to follow you. If I get a gun ho dps that wants to pull or a healer thats impatient I'll pull packs til they struggle to keep up then we have understanding I set the pace.
I haven't tanked since Classic WoW (mostly for the reasons OP described), but when people did that to me, I just let them die. I used to blame myself and feel bad about not having aggro on stuff, then I realized at some point that a lot of it was happening because of DPS players doing stupid things like launching WW3 on targets I hadn't so much as autoattacked yet.

I switched to fury in BC and never looked back, but I'm always nice to my tanks now, unless said tanks are just douchebags. I don't pull anything on my own unless a) the tank tells me to or b) I'm sure I can solo it. "You spank it, you tank it" is a saying that's been around since Classic WoW, but it still applies today.