Vanilla Vet Question Time

General Discussion
To all the supposed vanilla vets and the real vanilla vets. I have a wonderful question for you.

How long did it to take to actually kill C'thun in AQ 40M?
Initially you couldn't, it was mathematically impossible.

Then they released a patch and a swarm of raids had him down in a week.

Generally.. was about the normal length of a boss fight, perhaps to the long side.
Honestly? Never made it. The raid I was in, managed to get midway into BWL before the expansion testing hit and ruined any chances of getting people to do it. In short, the casual once a week raid I was in, never made it. Hell, it took months to get past Mags in Molten Core. The gear grind was crazy for a casual group, but we did it eventually - our main tank was the reason we made it that far. He showed up regularly. And the few of us who had little more time to kill helped gear them with a LOT of Blackrock Depths runs (Dark Iron). I spent more time in that place than I care to think about.
The guild I was in tried relentlessly pre-nerf, only to kill it the week they nerfed it. I didn't get to see it, though. Was lazing around on alts most of the time, didn't take endgame seriously.
One Vanilla guild did kill C'thun in AQ 40M, but they cheated! I believe that was Kirk's guild. Cheating to beat a unwinnable situation!
Our guild got to the trash before Emperors and many people simply said "That's it, I'm done." We never even saw any fights past Huhuran as a guild.
I was too busy cursing the sky over 30 minute Disease debuffs in the Eastern Plaguelands to care about what other people were doing.
Sadly, I only did ZG/AQ20/MC/BWL during vanilla.

Only one guy ever got an Atiesh on my server, during TBC, and hasn't logged on since.
Depends on what you mean by how long?

Since pre-nerf was considered "unkillable" I'll assume you mean post nerf.

Do you mean for a fresh 60 character with no guild connections? Probably months of hoarding DKP or brownie points with officers if you did council so you could be geared enough to take a raid spot at C'thun.

Connections? Probably geared in a week and possibly could be carried in their guild raid to kill C'thun.

In a progression guild starting from MC? Tough to say, depends how good your guild is but I think a solid average length of time to over farm MC is maybe 2 months, same for BWL, then same for AQ leading up to C'thun. Certain bosses could put a damper in that time line more than others.
I never made it to level cap before BC came out. It took me 37 days played to go from 1-60. It didn't help I was wearing grey gear as a resto Druid because I was a moron back then
Never did unfortunately
We gave up after we downed Huhu. I forget whether or not it was because BC was due out of whether that was the limit of our gear/ability.
03/06/2017 11:23 PMPosted by Døømguy
To all the supposed vanilla vets and the real vanilla vets. I have a wonderful question for you.

the guild i ended vanilla with were still gearing up for getting huhu down. getting 40 people to chain farm maraudon for NR gear was a big PITA.

onyxia scale cloaks was one thing, huhu NR gear farming was just next level for my guild. sartura was a fun fight though. random aggro drops every few seconds and needing so many tanks like OG 4H made for a real fun fight.
The guild I was in at the time managed to get to him but we couldn't manage to kill him. I can't quite remember if it was pre adjustment or post adjustment. I think it might have been post adjustment to the fight because Naxx 40 was just coming out. There was more interest from the guild in going there instead because the gear was better than AQ40's. There was also the fact that anything dealing with the scourge was going to be popular.

I ended up server transferring and joining another guild that had them down. I don't have a time table for how long it took them to kill him. I imagine probably not very long since C'Thun had long since been fixed by then.

Took my guild about 15 minutes or so...from Riding in on the Battle tanks to C'thun being weakened 2 times and dying.

btw, I do have a DivX of our first kill....no music..just raw video...I suppose I could convert it and post it, but there's a bunch out there already..*shrug*
It was one of those bosses that gave our guild trouble. Not so much because he was all that difficult after he was made killable. But because we had some significant turnover in roster at that point in the game and we had to teach new people not to get chained coming in and how to actually do the fight.

Lots of deaths. Lots of long run backs. AQ40 was just too big--even with the mounts.

I don't remember how long it took. That was too many years ago to remember the exact days/weeks etc. I just remember we raided 5 nights a week at 4-5 hrs a raid night and was awesome when we got him down.
03/07/2017 05:17 AMPosted by Crepe
It was one of those bosses that gave our guild trouble. Not so much because he was all that difficult after he was made killable. But because we had some significant turnover in roster at that point in the game and we had to teach new people not to get chained coming in and how to actually do the fight.

Lots of deaths. Lots of long run backs. AQ40 was just too big--even with the mounts.

New people were a problem...more of a problem to our guild was "KILL THE EYES!" ... >.< when people finally figured that out...we did fine
I myself was never successful in killing C'thun in Vanilla either. Twin Emperors was as far as I got before I deployed... I probably spent most my time in MC, BWL , Ony and the 2 times a week clear of ZG20 for mounts, Rep, leg and shoulder enchant farming.

Aside from that. I never got to fully experience Naxx40 before I deployed to Okinawa as well. I only got one Patchwerk kill in. Rest of the time was PvP and honor grinding for rank.