Prot vs Holy for Mythic+

Paladin
Hello!

Wanted to play a little more on my pally alt, cause plate transmog are just darn awesome!!

Question: prot or holy better choice for 5 man content?

I know very subjective question. I like both tanking and healing, actually don't dislike dps but do mind the queues. So question is more about how prot fares among other tanks and how holy fares among healers for mythic+.

Question is really about mythic+ and not raids. Thank you very much and have yourselves a blessed day!
Both specs are good for 5 player content ATM.

I'd advise to go with whatever you're more comfortable with. I would say Protection is worse off than the other tank specs but temper that with all tanks are in a good spot overall.
Personally, Prot. I have never tanked until the past month or so and have healed for the past 4-5 years on this guy. I found tanking (if you know how to make the pulls and run the dungeon) can not only be more fun than being a healbot (which is still totally fun sometimes) but give you more of a leader role to make a group more likely to succeed in the content you engage in. Once you are comfortable with it, I found it really made me enjoy the content (especially in pugs) more under the feel of "if you want something done right, do it yourself."
If you are pugging, prot.
I am something like 906 equipped holy and I struggle to get invited to groups. 'druids only' etc etc.

Not to mention that in pugs you have much more control as a tank. You determine the pace of the dungeon and can control how much you pull. As a healer you are kind of at the mercy of the rest of the group.

But they are very different roles and I would go with what you find most fun.
Ok!
Thank very much for the info!
04/01/2017 04:57 PMPosted by Kelorillian
I am something like 906 equipped holy and I struggle to get invited to groups. 'druids only' etc etc.

Not to mention that in pugs you have much more control as a tank. You determine the pace of the dungeon and can control how much you pull. As a healer you are kind of at the mercy of the rest of the group.

totally agree.
04/01/2017 04:57 PMPosted by Kelorillian

This. I have loved prot much more than holy in M+, but you should go with what you want to play more.
04/01/2017 12:17 PMPosted by Arrent

I'd advise to go with whatever you're more comfortable with. I would say Protection is worse off than the other tank specs but temper that with all tanks are in a good spot overall.

Nope just NOPE. Holy is dreadful in mythic plus. Its ok for under 6 but anything above plus 6 I will not take a holy paladin. I have done numerous mythic plus dungeons as a prot pally and anyone of them that was above +6 ever holy paladin I have ran with has struggled or just plain failed. I did a run one Mythic +9 HOV with 3 dps friends and myself tanking and a pug 909 HPAL and failed. Did the same run again later with the same dps but a resto shammy buddy of mine that was 870ish and 3 chested it. Holy pally struggles with AOE dmg healing outside of CDS.
Flash of light is weak as hell, and when ever I had run with Hpal in mythic plus dungeons, Im right on there !@# on the healing charts if not sometimes more.

Do yourself a favor and run prot. So much more fun, better spells, and overall IMO the best pally spec ATM.
At 889 I can bust 550-650k and do a steady 300k+ dps running my current build.
BH>FA>BL>CAV>HoP>CG>Serph
I run this talent setup for solo, random heroics and mythics, mythic plus up to 6
My Talent Setup for Mythic 6 and above
BH>BoL>BL>CAV>HOP>CG>LD
depending on affixes I might switch it up. For example on skettish I go
BH>BoL>BL>CAV>FS>CG>Serph
That build is for skittish and bolstering or raging
Sorry for the long drawn out response. I will finish by saying this. My pally was Holy and I hated it. I took her prot and have not had as much fun in this game since I started my shammy back on the first days of van. Prot Pallies are the best tank class in the game in terms of utility, survivability, and just an all around fun class/spec to play.
They are both pretty good for mythic+.

I have only ever tanked, not healed. However, I have had Pally healers for high level mythic+. On overflowing weeks they struggled, but otherwise they were always very good.
04/02/2017 07:35 PMPosted by Holyrack
04/01/2017 12:17 PMPosted by Arrent

Nope just NOPE. Holy is dreadful in mythic plus. Its ok for under 6 but anything above plus 6 I will not take a holy paladin. I have done numerous mythic plus dungeons as a prot pally and anyone of them that was above +6 ever holy paladin I have ran with has struggled or just plain failed. I did a run one Mythic +9 HOV with 3 dps friends and myself tanking and a pug 909 HPAL and failed. Did the same run again later with the same dps but a resto shammy buddy of mine that was 870ish and 3 chested it. Holy pally struggles with AOE dmg healing outside of CDS.
Flash of light is weak as hell, and when ever I had run with Hpal in mythic plus dungeons, Im right on there !@# on the healing charts if not sometimes more.

Lol, you're a dingus. Holy is fine in m+, especially at high keys. Devo and beacon of virtue are OP as hell. We have CDs out the !@#, and get to use them liberally. When you're properly itemised, holy shock and flash of light can be huge. Not to mention the luxury of BoP and freedom.

You can't judge a whole spec because of one or two $%^-ty players.