[Ele] Fire Elemental Issues

Bug Report
1. Fire Elemental will cast at your target as soon as it has spawned. This is a change from 7.1.5 where it won't attack until you start attacking. This has ramifications as we can't pre-cast it anymore. Intended?

2. Fire Elemental has a 30 yard range for some reason.
^^^^^^^^bump please fix please
This happened with me as well
This happened to me and the other Elemental in my raid tonight.
+1
Fix plz
+1000000000 Same thing happened to me today in raid.
This was a frustrating, undocumented change. Ideally fire elemental would revert back to how it was working in 7.1.5. If making fire elemental an ability that has to be cast on a target was intended, at least increase the range to a minimum of 40 yards.
yeah an extremely annoying change that has resulted in many a prepull
I'm assuming this was not intended. The tooltip on the Fire Elemental ability is unchanged. Does not say anything about 30 yard range.
This is intended.

In Patch 7.2, we added optional targeting gameplay to some pet summons spells.

The following pet summon spells will now summon the pet and immediately aggro your current targeted enemy if you have an enemy targeted. If you do not have an enemy targeted, it will summon the pet near you in passive mode:

Enhancement
Feral Sprits (leap)
Artifact Feral Spirits (leap)

Elemental
Fire Elemental (ranged)
Earth Elemental (charge)
Storm Elemental (ranged)

Primal Fire Elemental (ranged)
Primal Earth Elemental (charge)
Primal Storm Elemental (ranged)

We expect that there are some specific situations where a player might want to have a target but still cast their summon without having it attack that target (such as a fire elemental being summoned right before the pull). To accomplish this, you should be able to make a targeting macro (/cast [@player] Fire Elemental).

We're working on fixing the inadvertent range change. We have a hotfix in testing for that.

Thank you for the feedback!
03/29/2017 01:04 PMPosted by Kaivax
This is intended.

The following pet summon spells will now summon the pet and immediately aggro your current targeted enemy if you have an enemy targeted. If you do not have an enemy targeted, it will summon the pet near you in passive mode:

Enhancement
Feral Sprits (leap)

Elemental
Fire Elemental (ranged)
Earth Elemental (charge)
Storm Elemental (ranged)

We expect that there are some specific situations where a player might want to have a target but still cast their summon without having it attack that target (such as a fire elemental being summoned right before the pull). To accomplish this, you should be able to make a targeting macro (/cast [@player] Fire Elemental).

We're working on fixing the inadvertent range change. We have a hotfix in testing for that.

Patch Notes, they exist for a reason...seriously. If a change isn't worthy of documenting it isn't worthy of implementing!
So, serious question: Who wanted their pets to auto-aggro on summon? Is it a particular class/spec because of how their unique set of abilities work? Because I can't for the life of me understand this change, and I would like to. Every pet class I'm familiar with, and certainly ele, summons pets pre-pull all the time, and I know of no one who wants their pets to auto-aggro outside of their control when not yet in combat.

Can you possibly explain the thinking behind this? I mean sure, I can use the macro, but it seems senseless (and incidentally, there have been some reports of it also being unreliable).

EDIT: Never mind my question about classes, as I skimmed the list and incorrectly assumed this applied to other classes. So, really, only shamans? Why?
P.S. Not including that change in the patch notes caused many an ele to early pull bosses in raid yesterday with no idea as to how or why at first. That's ... not remotely cool.

This doesn't look optional at all.
For anyone who is having trouble with the Fire Elemental pulling even with the macro in the above blue post (you shouldn't, but I've already seen a couple people say it in earthshrine) then the macro we've been advising people to use is:

/target yournamehere
/cast Fire Elemental
/targetlasttarget
Having to use a macro so you can precast your fire elemental is just beyond silly just saying.
03/29/2017 01:59 PMPosted by Pazman
Having to use a macro so you can precast your fire elemental is just beyond silly just saying.

Same with having to macro every healing ability to mouseover.
This is intended.

Enhancement
Feral Sprits (leap)

Elemental
Fire Elemental (ranged)
Earth Elemental (charge)
Storm Elemental (ranged)

Thanks for proving that not a single person with decision making power plays my spec.

It would have taken a single person with even passing familiarity with how Elemental plays to bring this up.
More "undocumented" changes for no reason other than to make the game worse.

it was never broken, it never needed to be fixed.

this change has made the pets now behave in a manner that is causing player deaths and unintended behavior.