PSA: Creatures now scale with item level

General Discussion
1 2 3 408 Next
What the hell.

I discovered this while creating an undocumented changes thread on reddit. Me, and 3 other people with vastly different item levels all see different health values for normal creatures, rares and elites.

This is the one thing that Blizzard said they wouldn't do. This removes all sense of power progression in the open world.

You can confirm this yourself - Target a mob at 110 and remove a piece of gear. Its health will immediately drop.

I've linked to this thread in a Tweet to Blizzard, so hopefully we can get some information on this.
Yeah, world scaling in RPGs is never a good idea. The more gear we get, we can actually feel weaker now in certain circumstances.
it has since beta.
Explains a lot, I was like wtf does my 890 alt taking so long to kill crap for the highmountain wqs.
Level scaling is fine, I greatly enjoyed it in Legion and hope to see more open leveling in the future, but power scaling is not.
yea. this change sucks.
Yes, I made threads/posts about this during PTR, I absolutely hate this. There is no point to getting 'stronger' gear now.

Not enough people noticed/cared to get anything changed during PTR.

Hopefully now people realise just what is going on with scaling and world mobs.
I enjoy it because now elites actually feel like elites. No where near the way elites were in Vanilla and BC. Elites shouldn't be push overs. They should provide a challenge. I enjoy having to use cooldowns to kill them.

191 downvotes. I'm not even mad. This is a first for me. I guess 191 people don't like item level scaling mobs.
Haven't gotten to play yet, but this sounds like it's terrible. What's the point of power (gear) progression if the monsters scale with you?
03/28/2017 05:20 PMPosted by Shiross
Level scaling is fine, I greatly enjoyed it in Legion and hope to see more open leveling in the future, but power scaling is not.

Level scaling is fine. ilvl scaling is not.

There is not point to gear outside of raiding in that case. I

RIP power progression.
03/28/2017 05:19 PMPosted by Debbyanne
it has since beta.

that was level scaling, this is also ilvl. fun...
I vaguely remember blizz saying they wouldn't do this because there should be a feeling of progress.

Maybe its a bug? Perhaps a feature of some other area that leaked out into the main world on accident?
03/28/2017 05:14 PMPosted by Jegethy
What the hell.

I discovered this while creating an undocumented changes thread on reddit. Me, and 3 other people with vastly different item levels all see different health values for normal creatures, rares and elites.

This is the one thing that Blizzard said they wouldn't do. This removes all sense of power progression in the open world.

okay, this really sucks.
Power Progression is the most important thing in the game. so now our ilvl matters only in raids and dungeons? that's kinda stupid.
03/28/2017 05:23 PMPosted by Dirtytape
Elites shouldn't be push overs.

Random world elites you killed when you were 102 should be pushovers once you've hit level cap and conquered the greatest foes in the game universe.
03/28/2017 05:27 PMPosted by Hazzir
I vaguely remember blizz saying they wouldn't do this because there should be a feeling of progress.

Maybe its a bug? Perhaps a feature of some other area that leaked out into the main world on accident?

Let's hope it's a bug.
So all you get from getting better gear is a bigger epen

There's absolutely no reason to gear up anymore since a mob that gives you a hard time to kill will ALWAYS give you a hard time to kill no matter how much you grind....
This and time gatting everything turns wow into garbage

Btw I don't think it's a bug

I'm on the last quest in the pathfinder chain...mobs were definitely harder to kill. I even opened character window to make sure I have the correct gear equipped .
Fix Blizzard, if I'm not gonna feel stronger I won't try to get new get, get bored, and quit.

Does that really seem like a good idea? People have been asking to fix 1-90 questing, not current content. Jeez. This would have been perfect for that.
This is the kind of crap that makes me scared of every major patch.

I'm always hoping: please don't make a change I'll hate.

AND they hide it like they KNOW it's an unwanted change.

Why make a change that you know your players won't enjoy? Because you "feel that's the direction the game should go"?

Shouldn't the game cater to the players spending time playing it??

Frustrate
How do you make such a massive change and not document it?
Huh, well that explains why it seemed like it was taking longer on my emissary stuff today. This is just dandy for the squishier classes. Not.

Not feelin' the joy in this change.