PSA: Creatures now scale with item level

General Discussion
Prev 1 149 150 151 408 Next
I almost never post. I've been playing since vanilla (technically since the beta before vanilla) and there are actually very few if any decisions you've made that I thought were straight up terrible.

This decision is straight up terrible.

Everything about this situation is a disaster.

The idea that you would scale the open world like this, killing the player's sense of power and progression is terrible. It's terrible in almost every RPG and it's especially terrible in a game so focused on player power progression as WoW. WoW is fundamentally about loot and getting stronger and trivializing content that used to be hard, it's been about that since vanilla.

The fact that you didn't test it on the PTR and put it directly into live is terrible.

The fact that you wouldn't put it in the patch notes after always talking about how you don't try to hide things on purpose is terrible. It also makes no sense since as you said, the players will figure it out immediately, and you had to know there would be a backlash.

I almost always side with devs in situations like this, because I've been one myself, and because I know players don't always see the full picture or even know what they actually want. But in this case you just completely !@#$ed up, this was a terrible decision, terribly executed.
BAD MOVE on BLIZZ part. Wouldn't care except for a couple things...
(1) Why gear up then if things become harder?
(2) Why isn't the rewards dropped (Loot, Nethershards, etc.) increased?
(3) Why didn't you think about HEALERS in this model?
(4) Why didn't this get tested on PTR? Negative Feedback avoidance?

Sorry... going to remove a ring now as I run around. Broken Shores is now... BROKEN if you ask me. Will complete the REP grind for flying and not look back. Blizzard made a bone headed move here on this. If this change includes all of the Broken Isles then I've no reason to do anymore WQ's period. The RNG mount possibility over exalted for each zone is not worth the headache.
I just realized that a legendary dropping is now an even harder decision than before; is a barely-useful legendary going to even be worth using if it rockets your ilvl to a point that enemies are harder than the benefit the leg would give?

The absurdity of it kind of makes me chuckle, really.
Revert this change. Player power is SUPPOSED to increase as the expansion goes on. YOU flat out LIED to your CUSTOMERS Blizzard. COME THE EFF ON.
03/29/2017 01:48 PMPosted by Sepset
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Sure would be nice if they at least acknowledge the 3000+ posts of overwhelmingly negative feedback....

They don't have time to pick through and find the ones that aren't threatening them, their careers, or those posts that exaggerate the problem to complete abstraction.

If they spent less time on social media and more time making good decisions, they would.
Just quit making excuses for your bosses, ok?

*Hands you a can of 'Ye Olde Armour Polish: so even corporate can see you represent*

edit spelling, forsooth.
For the life of me I don't understand why they didn't just make mobs in the new area harder. Make them all elite, or whatever. We are attacking their stronghold after all.

That way they get what they want and players still get to feel a sense of progression.

But no. Blizzard creating solutions to problems that don't exist.
I'd like the devs to man up and actually tune the content properly (since I believe it was Hazzikostas himself who said leveling was broken) instead of band-aiding level scaling in a game whose entire prerogative is getting gear to become stronger.

Thanks for missing the point.
I posted some thoughts last night but wanted to add a few on.

As a mythic raider, and a team lead who specializes in recruitment, this will make my life even more miserable than it has been. Mythic raiders have been quitting the game in droves, and even before 7.2 the main reason behind it all was that the game required too much time and energy put in to be competitive, with not enough of a meaningful reward gotten in return. Gear didn't feel special thanks to titanforging, and encounters themselves aren't easily outgeared. Even the highest raid teams have very little difference in kill time between their first and their farm kills of a boss.

With gear ALREADY meaning less in the awfully-tuned nighthold, and ANOTHER grindy artifact journey ahead of us this patch, this might be the push that shoves even more people over the edge of just not handling it anymore. God knows I'm pretty close to that edge anymore, and if I decide to quit raiding, I will unsub, and have done so in the past for various reasons.

The game ALREADY has major issues with there not being enough or proper of a reward to the people who have the most skill and work the hardest to progress in the game, this will make it even worse.
Welcome to a bigger PR disaster than WoD flying. Hopefully this one ends with more than just a half-reasonable solution.
Why was the immediate fix to trivialize gear progression by having monsters scale with ilevel? Why was there not any legitimate discussion about producing new content that is more difficult than old rather than simply slapping on a lazy excuse about ensuring all content is balanced in terms of difficulty, regardless of gear?

Why were the Broken Shore mobs not made more challenging with the start of the new patch, rather than the regurgitated cycle we received this time that apparently comes at the cost of struggling against content we have already done, like the Suramar questline?

I think this thread is more than enough proof that a widespread amount of the community is harshly against this change. Please, scrap it. If you're interested in instating a more cohesive difficulty, do so with new content so that it feels more interesting and challenging, not like this.

Trying to subtly insert this change without so much as an announcement was also very underhanded and does very little to instill faith. You have a lot to make up for.

They don't have time to pick through and find the ones that aren't threatening them, their careers, or those posts that exaggerate the problem to complete abstraction.

If they spent less time on social media and more time making good decisions, they would.

*Hands you a can of 'Ye Olde Armour Polish: so even corporate can see you represent*

edit spelling, forsooth.

I am not even flaming anyone. I have tried to remain civil here. I rarely come to the forums.

I am just saying that it's been 14 hours + and not a single blue post to even give us a clue about what they are thinking about this situation. And yes this IS a situation. 7.2 is a major patch and there is some marketing money behind it. They do not need bad press about a new patch that players are complaining about.
*Cyndilou wanders in.*
/wave
/smile
If you are going to scale up mobs with our ilvl, the least you can do is make it so the mobs in question or their related WQs dropped gear that made the difficulty worth it. Instead, we're stuck getting 855s.

My main specs are prot and ret so I don't have a problem, but a few healers in my guild are having major issues, to the point where they are just waiting for one of our dps or tanks to get on to do the WQs.
For the life of me I don't understand why they didn't just make mobs in the new area harder. Make them all elite, or whatever.

That way they get what they want and players still get to feel a sense of progression.

But no. Blizzard creating solutions to problems that don't exist.

Because one design goal of this x-pac was to keep the whole continent somewhat relevant so they added new reward to the old rep and also made the WQ for said rep more in line with our current power level. Before 7.2 they noticed there was no way the continent would work since we were outstripping everything (no !@#$, over 100 ilvl gain since we hit 110...) so they decided to make stuff scale. They messed up the scaling ratio but they admitted that part of the scaling is un-intended and that removing gears should never be a thing.
03/29/2017 01:58 PMPosted by Cyndilou
*Cyndilou wanders in.*
/wave
/smile
Haven't seen you on the forums in ages. Partly because I don't frequent them as much as I used to. Still...

/wave
I barely play anymore and now I have to work twice as hard or even more to do a few WQs that barely reward anything to begin with?

Are devs going out of their way to push players away?

Work on MORE CONTENT, not on cheap, pathetic ways to extend the minimal amount of content in 7.2
03/29/2017 01:58 PMPosted by Thrunn

edit spelling, forsooth.

I am not even flaming anyone. I have tried to remain civil here. I rarely come to the forums.

I am just saying that it's been 14 hours + and not a single blue post to even give us a clue about what they are thinking about this situation. And yes this IS a situation. 7.2 is a major patch and there is some marketing money behind it. They do not need bad press about a new patch that players are complaining about.

IMO the devs are all still trying to figure out why their amazing changes are being received well by their sheep.

Once they get that sorted out and figure out how to "fix" it then we'll get a response.
03/29/2017 01:46 PMPosted by Invasive
Please consider undoing this change until you've come up with a solution that doesn't turn World of Warcraft into Guild Wars 2.

That is a great game if you want progression to be purely cosmetic and actually enjoy being part of a community where everyone is the same powerless noob from level 1 all the way to max level.

I quit GW2 for that reason.

Personally, I'd love for the mobs to have more challenging attack strategies than just having a bigger club and more health. The challenge of the current mobs on the Broken Shore just isn't there. For example, to complete one quest, I just ran through a whole pack of demons and kept running until they disengaged. Why don't they have traps or attacks to stop you?

In addition, releasing this big of a change without proper testing is a very effective way to create a $%&-storm. Talk to the players! Let us test on PTR! This thing was obviously not even tested properly for bugs before release which has only added to the misery. If you want to slip in a change with no warning, leave that to giving basic campfire an extra skillet! This change was so massive it made gear obsolete (removing gear makes the mobs easier???).
03/29/2017 01:30 PMPosted by Sepset
03/29/2017 01:24 PMPosted by Halestorms
If you damage your credibility as a company, people stop buyin your products. People stop buying your products you go bankrupt. I love Warcraft. Fix this.

Would you stop with the threats. You wonder why Developers stay away from General Discussion and you keep posting offal like that.

03/29/2017 01:24 PMPosted by Kuranna
Apparently not, because to cover up your own failures you're punishing the players.

Do people forget prior expansions like a sudden boughts of amnesia?

Throughout WoD, the common demand was more things to do. Blizzard then creates Mythic Dungeons as an alternative and creating the gear that people expect to be there when they complete them.

The scaling doesn't bother me in the slightest, but you guys are completely over reacting for the sake of the mob mentality.

The scaling was bugged, the mobs are over-tuned, you'll still be able to cleave through most things once the bug is fixed, and that will be that.

I'm curious, why did you quote something which had nothing to do with WQs and then rant about WQs when I actually addressed WQs in my post and you could have quoted that instead?