PSA: Creatures now scale with item level

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 408 Next
There's hotpatching going on my server maybe it's a bug they are trying to fix?
Does this mean you could simply remove your bracers/cape and 3-shot things? Can someone confirm?
Seems like blizzard devs are suffering from sudden onset retardation.
Takes a lot to turn off a 12 year account subbed 99%, but this will do it for me if they actually intended this. Anyone remember the awful game Oblivion? At least you could fix that with mods.

Not even in patch notes, do you all even manage your developers or is it just wild west anything goes?
03/28/2017 05:14 PMPosted by Jegethy
What the hell.

I discovered this while creating an undocumented changes thread on reddit. Me, and 3 other people with vastly different item levels all see different health values for normal creatures, rares and elites.

This is the one thing that Blizzard said they wouldn't do. This removes all sense of power progression in the open world.
It would help if during this data collection you recorded the item levels people were at (bag/equipped both). There's a very good chance that this feature has a cap/diminishing returns somewhere, because they were planning on making world mobs harder to keep the power gap from getting too ridiculous, but not undermine gear completely.

Now logically, this would be implemented with scaling, as opposed to a flat damage/health increase, because a fresh 110 should hopefully still have the same experience they did before the patch (or else they run the risk of being too squishy). So actual data on how far-reaching the effects are would be important to determine whether or not this really affects people's sense of progression.
This is lame.
Would questing naked make NPCs weaker?
I guess all those folks who claimed level scaling made the world more challenging finally got the true challenge they wanted.
03/28/2017 05:37 PMPosted by Maebe
Does this mean you could simply remove your bracers/cape and 3-shot things? Can someone confirm?

No, there is a lower limit in-place. HP doesn't get reduced when lower than certain ilvl.

Tested on some 110 mob in broken shore.

110 elite Illidary Enforcer
LVL HP ILVL
110 15589k 749
110 15589k 821
110 15589k 850
110 16461k 857

110 18940k 875
03/28/2017 05:37 PMPosted by Maebe

No, there is a lower limit in-place.

110 15589k ilvl 749
110 15589k ilvl 821
110 15589k ilvl 850
110 16461k ilvl 857

Looks like it starts increasing past 850. We all need to get a set of BiS 850 gear to get the most power out of out toons out in the world now, I guess. lol
03/28/2017 05:39 PMPosted by Azevara
03/28/2017 05:14 PMPosted by Jegethy
What the hell.

I discovered this while creating an undocumented changes thread on reddit. Me, and 3 other people with vastly different item levels all see different health values for normal creatures, rares and elites.

This is the one thing that Blizzard said they wouldn't do. This removes all sense of power progression in the open world.
It would help if during this data collection you recorded the item levels people were at (bag/equipped both). There's a very good chance that this feature has a cap/diminishing returns somewhere, because they were planning on making world mobs harder to keep the power gap from getting too ridiculous, but not undermine gear completely.

Now logically, this would be implemented with scaling, as opposed to a flat damage/health increase, because a fresh 110 should hopefully still have the same experience they did before the patch (or else they run the risk of being too squishy). So actual data on how far-reaching the effects are would be important to determine whether or not this really affects people's sense of progression.

As I posted on reddit:

For example at ilvl 866, Ambassador D'vwinn in Suramar has 5.8M health, which is roughly a 15% increase. At 859 he has 5.3M which is roughly 12%, and at 900 he has 7.6M which is roughly a 50% increase.

Seems like the scaling gets more aggressive as the item level increases.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No, there is a lower limit in-place.

110 15589k ilvl 749
110 15589k ilvl 821
110 15589k ilvl 850
110 16461k ilvl 857

Looks like it starts increasing past 850. We all need to get a set of BiS 850 gear to get the most power out of out toons out in the world now, I guess. lol

Yes, but the lower limit could be different for the mobs in the older legion zones.

[Edit] Looks like its 850 in older legion zones as well.
Now THAT would really piss me off. Let's hope it's a bug.
Me three minutes ago: I can solo this 20 mob quest in Suramar easily, I have before.

Me now: OH !@#$

... Yeah, thanks Blizz. This is a HUGE change, and it wasn't documented. It wasn't told to us. Why?

I know it may make it seem like the world is more immersive, that it makes us more interactive and careful with how we fight... But there's also negatives in this, and it really sucks. Suramar City being the prime example, where we once had a chance to escape death if our illusion fell. No more.
03/28/2017 05:55 PMPosted by Darthknight

Yes, but the lower limit could be different for the mobs in the older legion zones.

As far as I can tell mobs don't drop below their default health levels as they were in 7.1.5 and prior regardless of item level. Even with no gear equipped a Llothien Fox still has 1.04M health.
03/28/2017 05:55 PMPosted by Jegethy
03/28/2017 05:39 PMPosted by Azevara
...It would help if during this data collection you recorded the item levels people were at (bag/equipped both). There's a very good chance that this feature has a cap/diminishing returns somewhere, because they were planning on making world mobs harder to keep the power gap from getting too ridiculous, but not undermine gear completely.

As I posted on reddit:

For example at ilvl 866, Ambassador D'vwinn in Suramar has 5.8M health, which is roughly a 15% increase. At 859 he has 5.3M which is roughly 12%, and at 900 he has 7.6M which is roughly a 50% increase.

Seems like the scaling gets more aggressive as the item level increases.

Missing half the picture: how does a player's power scale with item level? If I stare at Heroic Nighthold data, people are performing approximately 2-3x more DPS at 900 than at 860. So the damage output still outpaces the health increase. You still get stronger as you gear, the effect is just more controlled, probably to compensate for what will happen after Tomb opens.

As far as I can tell mobs don't drop below their default health levels as they were in 7.1.5 and prior regardless of item level. Even with no gear equipped a Llothien Fox still has 1.04M health.

It looks like the HP starts scaling up at 850 in older zones and the broken shore.
03/28/2017 05:49 PMPosted by Darthknight

110 elite Illidary Enforcer
LVL HP ILVL
110 15589k 749
110 15589k 821
110 15589k 850
110 16461k 857
110 18940k 875

To be fair, that's a ~3.3M difference in HP, sure, but you're doing SUBSTANTIALLY more dps at 875 than you're doing at 820. So, it's not AS BAD as if it scaled somewhat linearly with ilvl. I argue it shouldn't scale at all, but you are getting more powerful relative to the mobs, just not as fast as you would otherwise without it.

Take off gear to get your avg ilvl down to 820 and try to kill it - time yourself without CDs and kill it at 875 with and see what the difference is. Again, not an argument for, but just something to consider.
Woah, this suck. Now I got punished for gearing myself too?
03/28/2017 06:05 PMPosted by Croxis
Woah, this suck. Now I got punished for gearing myself too?
No. You don't. You just don't get as rewarded as you did before the patch.
THIS is how WoW dies.