PSA: Creatures now scale with item level

General Discussion
Prev 1 28 29 30 408 Next
So now we have to consult ilvl spreadsheets to figure out which pieces of gear we need to unequip to make our daily chores as painless as possible.

Fun.

If power creep is allegedly such a problem, maybe gear shouldn't be titanforging 40 ilvls on such a regular basis.
03/28/2017 11:07 PMPosted by Sevaira
03/28/2017 10:48 PMPosted by Watcher
When someone trying to wind up a 2.5sec cast can't get a nuke off against a quest target before another player charges in and one-shots it, that feels broken.

As dumb as the thing sounds in general watcher has a point. I consistently see threads about the Sha of Anger dying in half a second to the point that most of the people cannot tag it. So while the over all system sounds dumb to the individual as far as group content is concerned it almost has to exist. I never thought of that honestly until it was pointed out and it changes my entire perspective.

The thread was made about current content, not old or legacy content from previous expansions.
03/28/2017 11:06 PMPosted by Phumbles
Just scale to ilvl but only up to a certain ilvl. This will allow you to "upgrade" the mobs in the world but still leave room for power progression. Just stop the scaling at like 890 or so.
Either this or have the scaling taper off (which it may already do, hard to say from my experience and the apparent over scaling that Watcher alluded to) at large ilvls, though that may not achieve the goal they're trying to achieve since the increase would eventually become minuscule depending on the curve.
03/28/2017 11:05 PMPosted by Nilocor
While i understand and appreciate the importance of keeping world content relevant, I don't enjoy how this was implemented, especially after flat-out stating you would not do so, and not informing us in any way. You may have not intended for it to be deceptive, but it absolutely was.

"we're not going to nerf the healer trinket, so go ahead and spend all your gold on it"
24 hours later
"we nerfed the healer trinket"

Never under estimate how fast blizzard can change their mind ^^
------------------------

thinking about system more. instead of directly using ilvl, what about a system that works with the world quest rewards quality? Every 5 or so ilvls the rewards bump up right? Start at 805 go up to 810, 815 etc.
When these bumps happen. bump the mobs up with it so they are that level -5 or whatever.

So if you have 805 rewards, mobs will be at their base. it seems better. On top of that, it will stop at 865 which is a reasonable cutoff right now. the mobs would cap at 860 or whatever until next time you bump up the gear on world quests.

that way if you are really well geared (worked hard at raiding/mythic+/pvp) you still be considerably above it, and deserve your mob smashing. Which still won't be as trivial as it was before hand. but it won't feel bad as now where 900 ilvl doesn't feel powerful at all.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's better to not do it at all, but this would be a better middle ground than what is current in effect.
what a !@#$ing meme of a response
As a healer, this is pretty damn annoying. I don't need mobs dying slower than they already do.

Also gear should have meaning and make you feel more powerful... even questing on broken isles. For some people, questing is their end game and they should feel more powerful as they get upgrades. That is the point of gear...

Come on blizz... simple things. Don't fix what isn't broken.
Ok its not just me then. I was wondering why it felt like it was taking a bit longer to kill stuff now. Thanks for the PSA. :P
03/28/2017 05:27 PMPosted by Brogas
03/28/2017 05:27 PMPosted by Hazzir
I vaguely remember blizz saying they wouldn't do this because there should be a feeling of progress.

Maybe its a bug? Perhaps a feature of some other area that leaked out into the main world on accident?

Let's hope it's a bug.

Yes, it was Ion Hazzikostas specifically that said this.
the fact that unequipping items can ever be helpful is a bug that we'll be investigating and fixing.

As in a bug so the scaling will continue as is but we will no longer be able to influence it by taking gear on and off or it wasn't meant to be this steep?

Having an easier time questing on my 860 mage alt than i do my 900 main is pretty ridiculous.
Watcher.........

I don't accept your apology.

It's sneaky, underhanded and just bad business.
03/28/2017 11:07 PMPosted by Sevaira
When someone trying to wind up a 2.5sec cast can't get a nuke off against a quest target before another player charges in and one-shots it, that feels broken.

As dumb as the thing sounds in general watcher has a point. I consistently see threads about the Sha of Anger dying in half a second to the point that most of the people cannot tag it. So while the over all system sounds dumb to the individual as far as group content is concerned it almost has to exist. I never thought of that honestly until it was pointed out and it changes my entire perspective.

There are literally no WQ bosses dying in less than 2.5 seconds. They gain health with each additional player fighting them. If you're not getting to the boss in time, you were too late and need to wait for a respawn. Just like at the start of the expansion.

As for non-boss mobs dying in 2 seconds, you'd often have that happening anyway thanks to faction tag and everyone running around in a big mob murdertraining everything the instant it spawns.

This does nothing whatsoever to help players do WQs when other players are around, and only hurts players who are doing WQs alone or in a non-DPS spec. This is a stupid, brainless change that cannot be justified in any way, and Blizzard's attempt to sneakily insert it the day the patch goes live shows that they knew players would hate it.

This will not go away, mark my words. Blizzard will make an endless list of excuses and will wait out the playerbase's outrage, and eventually things will settle down so they can go back to safely ignoring feedback. Just as always.
03/28/2017 11:11 PMPosted by Shèryl

did you seriously expect different? If they could get away with it they'd release "leave brittney alone" shilling videos to berate us for not blindly getting on board
03/28/2017 10:56 PMPosted by Jacksouth
Unbelievable, it was deliberate. If this change isn't removed, I'm done with this game.

Haha, over react much?
Time for a new mmo, I hate being lied too and this totally ruins any reason to progress at all, any ideas anyone?
This feels terrible for healers who were finally feeling like they could blow through World Quests at a reasonable rate without having to swap to a dps spec and gear. Now I'm back to playing a spec I don't want to play just so it doesn't take me forever to finish my World Quests.
03/28/2017 11:13 PMPosted by Teryani
03/28/2017 11:11 PMPosted by Shèryl

did you seriously expect different?

lolnope
We've never had the initial outdoor world content stay relevant for this long in an expansion before. By the end of Mists of Pandaria, for example, the mantid of Dread Wastes that had once been reasonable foes were completely trivial. They'd basically evaporate if a raid-geared player looked in their general direction. But there wasn't much reason besides achievements or completionism to revisit the Klaxxi dailies once Isle of Thunder was out or, later on, Timeless Isle.

Your detailed response is certainly appreciated. However, with all due respect, you do realize that many players strongly prefer to outlevel or at least outgear content before tackling it, right?

It has been a standard feature in WoW up through Warlords of Draenor that actually attracts many players and keeps them playing WoW over other MMORPGs that do not support that kind of gameplay, including free ones such as Guild Wars 2. That is especially true of us who prefer playing less tanky classes, who aren't that great at combat, or who just play the game to relax, not for the adrenaline rush of constantly cheating death.

Redesigning and continuously retuning the outside game world so that people are no longer able to outlevel or even outgear any current content really impairs (or outright eliminates) what many casual, non-raiding PVEers consider their lowkey endgame.
03/28/2017 11:13 PMPosted by Motors
03/28/2017 10:56 PMPosted by Jacksouth
Unbelievable, it was deliberate. If this change isn't removed, I'm done with this game.

Haha, over react much?

Those First World Problems...
Confirm N'zoth has taken over Blizz HQ.
I can understand the intent, but if we've already cleansed the Emerald Nightmare, stopped Helya, and defeated Gul'dan to break the Legion's hold over the Nightborne, why should content we've already cleared still pose any sense of danger?

The scaling should have stayed on the Broken Shore and never expanded to the rest of the Isles. If we've already progressed past that point in the story, then who does it really hurt if we global a mob doing world quests that only take us 5-10 minutes in the first place? Increase how fast mobs respawn if you're worried about a fresh 110 not being able to piggy back off of a raider roflstomping through.