Discipline Priest Mage Tower Guide

Priest
[UPDATED FOR 7.2.5]

Hello! My name is Lovelace, and upon the launch of the first US Mage Tower, I completed the challenge in 9 attempts @ 907. I did this in 3 attempts afterwards on a 903 priest. Since then, a multitude of other priests have also completed the challenge, in which has provided enough information to relay back to the community.

Note: This challenge does not scale with ilvl. The lowest I have heard it be completed with is 893, and this took ~80 attempts. However, with the addition of the Sanctuary talent and Aegis of Wrath, it should be a lot easier to complete around the 895 ilvl.

Talents
T15: Castigation will be your go-to here. It saves you mana and of course increases damage. You do not have the mana for Schism, and ToF relatively useless because you will not drop <35% for the majority of the fight, and preventing the damage is more important than healing yourself up afterwards and ToF will not proc while you are shielding.

T30: Masochism will be your go-to here. There is no extreme movement on this encounter, and the 10% DR you receive from casting Shadow Mend is essential for later Felbursts in the encounter.

T45: Psychic Voice will be your go-to here. You want the reduced scream CD as you can use scream to interrupt every other Felburst Tugar casts, as the happen at roughly ~20s intervals and this puts scream on a 30s cooldown.

T60: Mindbender or Solace is your go-to here. Mindbender reaps a lot more damage, especially if you have Sephuz to utilise (and this is what I ran), but Solace also does good damage and provides more mana if you find yourself lower ilvl and/or without DPS legendaries, thus your fight taking a little longer.

T75: Sanctuary will be your go-to here. You can build up a large shield just from smite spamming to help alleviate the Felburst damage.

T90: You can run either Halo or Purge the Wicked here. Purge the Wicked can be used to spread to the eggs and increased dot dmg on Tugar, but Halo can also be used to kill the eggs as they drop.

T100: Grace if you find yourself struggling for HP to survive the last few felbursts, as it will add +30% to your PW:S; otherwise, Power Infusion for more damage.

Trinkets
I personally ran Infernal Alchemist Stone and an 880 versatility stat stick. I would highly recommend a mana trinket such as Promises or IAS if your fight was long (for whatever reason) like mine was. However, if you find yourself sustaining well, feel free to run double stat stick!

Legendaries
In order of what is desired:
  • Sephuz
  • Maiev
  • Prydaz
  • These are of great aid, but this is also entirely doable without any of the above. If you don't have many good legendaries, try and swap ones out so you get the maximum stats you can, as the effects on anything but these are mostly useless.

Strategy
    TLDR: Tunnel DPS Tugar. Scream every other Felburst. Have 2x Focused Will, Fade, a full PW:S and Masochism DR for the Felbursts you can't interrupt. Halo or DS the adds as they fall during Earthquake. Stand inbetween Stalacites so that if the worm charges you, it loses armor stacks. Watch out for Sonic Scream so you do not get school locked.

1. This fight is a DPS race, albeit not a very tight one. Felburst damage and frequency increases with time. Eventually, it will ramp up so hard it will flat oneshot you. From the start you'll notice it'll barely dent you through PW:S, and near the end, you will require multiple DR's to prevent this oneshotting you. Be aware of what you have in your toolkit!
    - Focused Will
    - Fade
    - Masochism DR
    - PW:S (and CoW, if you run this)
    - Barrier, Pain supp (for the very last ones you can't scream)
    Psychic Scream every other Felburst. This is possible with the Psychic Voice talents. (Blood Elves, Taurens, and any other race with an available interrupt - use it for the later ones you can't catch with scream!)

2. If the worm charges you (and successfully hits you) you will be stunned for a few seconds and this may mean death to a Felburst or spikes. Watch the dust clouds! It will traverse in a straight line towards you from where he pops out of the ground. Stand inbetween the Stalacite shards that fall from the roof during Earthquake when he charges you, and this will remove his armor stacks. He can still stun you through this if you're in his charge line, however, so still move out of it!

3. Make sure those bile spitter adds die, as the movement can get tedious and is entirely unnecessary. If you stand in the swirlies they put down, you also get a stacking dot. The reason I advise Halo is so you can cast Halo on the adds and quickly dot them up so that the Bile spitters are not a problem for you.

4. Kill those totems. Do not let Felsurge get through. Luckily we can Pain supp during stuns in an emergency, but ideally, you don't want that to happen at all.

5. Watch for Sonic Scream! The worm casts it a couple of times when he is not underground. A holy spell school lock can mean the death of you if a Felburst is incoming.

6. Once Tugar dies, the worm WILL enrage, but do not fear! He does not hit nearly as hard as Tugar did. I went into this phase with about 7% mana and killed him just fine. Just ensure you are not in melee range, and that you are full HP with a PW:S for Sonic Scream (and don't get yourself locked).

Tips and Tricks
  • Go in with an Overloaded with Light proc once you've had some practice and are getting very close! This can be farmed by spamming on mobs for a few minutes.
  • Drums work, but once again, only do this once you're comfortable and getting close.
  • Farm up your Nethershards so you cut the downtime and don't stop your momentum. As someone who had to go dig around for caches inbetween each one because I didn't come prepared - I would not wish for anyone to feel the pain I felt.
  • Videos of completion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj8j46u5TQs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zez-uAOMU4Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWZNWnyBWY4

A special thank you to Pnash, Atonement-Frostmourne and Ash#5831 on Discord for the videos!

Best of luck for your challenge skins when the Mage Tower is built once more! <3
    lil bump
    Best overall written guide for this for Discs. Take my upvote, sir.
    Bump
    Thank you for taking the time to prepare this wonderful guide Lovelace. I am currently working on a video of my kill. I will post it once it is complete.
    04/05/2017 03:00 AMPosted by Pnashh
    Thank you for taking the time to prepare this wonderful guide Lovelace. I am currently working on a video of my kill. I will post it once it is complete.

You're welcome - and good luck! <3
    Anyone know how long the mage tower will be up today?
    04/05/2017 05:35 AMPosted by Brighter
    Anyone know how long the mage tower will be up today?
    The builder's table on Broken Shore will tell you how long it has left. The timer had around 20hrs left earlier this morning.
    This guide not only got me my challenge skin, but cleared my acne, maxed out my bank account, and added 20 years to my lifespan.

Thank you, Lovelace!
    I did this, I think, 36 times, and never once did I get a single Focused Will stack. That would absolutely make up the differences I had in basically every single death.

How is that even a possible thing?
    04/06/2017 12:35 AMPosted by Vuradra
    I did this, I think, 36 times, and never once did I get a single Focused Will stack. That would absolutely make up the differences I had in basically every single death.

How is that even a possible thing?

Focused Will is pretty huge! -30% DR that we only get from melees. Took me the second try after looking through spellbook for any niche and realizing I had it lol.
    Right. But how can I not be getting it? He's definitely bopping me with his staff.

Well, I use the present tense, but the Tower is down now.
    04/06/2017 01:08 AMPosted by Vuradra
    Right. But how can I not be getting it? He's definitely bopping me with his staff.

At certain times of the fight, he'll be off doing whatever, and in the time it takes him to reach you again, the stacks have fallen off, just in time for him to cast Fel Burst.

I found it happening to me later on in the fight when it was important, and made sure I broke the fear asap, so that he wasn't spending 8 seconds getting feared into nowhereland, and then another 8 seconds running back to me.

You'll see a few times around 3-4 minutes in where he'll cast earthquake, and then totem, and then fel blast, which is enough time for Focused Will to drop off because he hasn't smacked you a single time between those casts.
    Here is my video guide as promised: https://youtu.be/Zj8j46u5TQs.
    5. Watch for Sonic Scream!

How to avoid holy lock?
    04/06/2017 09:59 PMPosted by Kungfuken
    5. Watch for Sonic Scream!

How to avoid holy lock?

Set the worm as your focus, and keep an eye on the castbar.
    You will only get Holy Locked if you're caught mid-way through a holy spellcast and he does the scream. Same goes for shadow.

So just don't be casting when it happens.
    When I did the challenge I was 903 ilevel and rang N'ero's and Xalan's. (yeah /real/ helpful legendaries Q_Q).

I personally felt that fear the earthquakes to avoid getting adds made the fight less hectic and easier to deal with. I tried to think about what was so frustrating about the scenario before I ran with this strat over the fear every other cast strat, but I think it mostly comes down to how many things I was worrying about at the same time.

With the adds gone I cleared out "worrying about dotting adds (with grace talented) or worrying about spreading Purge with purge talented. All target switching was pretty much eliminated (except totems). I worried less about the falling cieling and I didn't have to use halo/divine star ever. With less to look at keeping an eye on the worm as he went around the room was easier so I never got stunned with this strat, and I felt like I had to run around less often. This strat meant I could not rely on Psychic scream to avoid the Felburst though. Because of this I didn't get the "I'm !@#$ed" feeling that I was having later on when he would cast 3 felburst in less than 30 seconds.

The adds on their own aren't anything to really be scared of, but I think that just clearing up the amount of things happening is why I was able to complete the scenario by fearing earthquakes over fearing felbursts. I did need to rely on PW:B and Pain Supp to survive at the end of the fight and 100% was under 5% hp at one point in the fight (ty based health potion) but I felt like it was more manageable.

I also ran with Mindbender/PTW over Grace/Solace.
    Mend's Weak Auras were very helpful for this as well. Thanks bb ;)

Additionally I ran broken promises and the Kara mana orb trinket because I was running oom.
    I personally felt that fear the earthquakes to avoid getting adds made the fight less hectic and easier to deal with. I tried to think about what was so frustrating about the scenario before I ran with this strat over the fear every other cast strat, but I think it mostly comes down to how many things I was worrying about at the same time.

That's fair, and that's what Atonement suggested to us when him, Sups and I were in discord tryna beat this thing, but it's much easier on the healing and allows you to focus on pushing out more dps to fear felbursts. It also reduces to change of getting 1hit by it. The adds are pretty negligible, just takes a halo and a dot application as they fall. But if it works for you, it works :D
    Bump, since this is back up on EU and very soon to be on US