Downvote Spamming

General Discussion
03/27/2017 10:54 AMPosted by Kuli
I agree with you. However, your argument is based on the fact that the will of the many out weight that of the few. Which is true, but again, why do we have precautions to avoid and punish trolls? You want a balance in the community, and it isn't hard data for bliz to see red flags on an account that has downvoted a high volume of posts in a short period of time. That seems to me anyway, an issue. But like you've stated, if it isn't an issue the many are concerned about it's not an issue.

Everyone enjoys a good trolling once in awhile. This thread as an example, downvoted on principal. I get it. I enjoy it too, if I didn't start it I'd laugh if I saw this and depending on the day would prob downvote t myself.... but you can't say the above stated issue isn't trolling. It's just one we seem to be ok with.

Where is your example of a thread that was being widely discussed but the main topic was down-voted so much that no one could read it?

Do you really think someone is spending their day going through thread after thread, with their single down-voted having any impact?

Of, even better, you think there is a large enough group of "down-vote trolls" doing this?

Please, show at least one example where this "troll army" completely derailed a thread by down-votes.

Down-votes allow a quick opinion on a post, they don't convey any significant meaning if its a good topic of discussion.

If there is an "army" of down-vote trolls killing good threads, are they the same ones up-voting useless troll threads?
03/27/2017 10:13 AMPosted by Kuli
What does blizzard do to promote a constructive enviornment within their forums?

By not having an upvote/downvote system.

Let each post stand on its own merits.

03/27/2017 11:21 AMPosted by Frostyclaw
Where is your example of a thread that was being widely discussed but the main topic was down-voted so much that no one could read it?

Every time flying was discussed during WoD. People arguing the merits of a flightless game would get downvote brigaded into oblivion. I actually got banned from the forums in one such thread because a bunch of pro-flight shills spammed the report troll button. I had to petition a GM to get it overturned.

The up/down-vote and the 'report thread because it hurt your feelings' tools just give the real trolls more tools with which to troll.
03/27/2017 11:25 AMPosted by Gryth
03/27/2017 10:13 AMPosted by Kuli
What does blizzard do to promote a constructive enviornment within their forums?

By not having an upvote/downvote system.

Let each post stand on its own merits.

I downvoted your post on its own merits.
03/27/2017 10:31 AMPosted by Kuli
Lol, perfect example of the topic being utterly downvoted.

Well I mean, that's probably because more than three people disagree with you. Not everyone will agree with you, get over it.
By no means am I saying this is Blizzard's fault. I simply asked if they already did have something in place to prevent this.

I wasn't sure if this would be a constructive convo or an emotional one. It's obviously turned into an emotional one.

I see a lot of flawed logic. "Please show an example of a derailed thread"
No, nothing as egregious as that. However, it is still trolling and spams threads.
Your logic is this: show me how stealing a 50 cent gumball from a vending machine every quarter makes any difference in the owners financial gains.
-the answer is I can't. But fundamentally you are stealing from the provider. Which is wrong. If we don't want to address such things then that's fine, but don't be dillusional in what such things breed. It's minor, yes, no arguement here.
03/27/2017 11:25 AMPosted by Gryth
I actually got banned from the forums in one such thread because a bunch of pro-flight shills spammed the report troll button. I had to petition a GM to get it overturned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYd5cRlROE

I give that song 89% relevancy to your post.
03/27/2017 11:31 AMPosted by Kuli
Your logic is this: show me how stealing a 50 cent gumball from a vending machine every quarter makes any difference in the owners financial gains.

Didn't realize I was "stealing" when I down vote someone. What am I stealing? Their already depleted self-esteem?
03/27/2017 11:34 AMPosted by Santura
03/27/2017 11:31 AMPosted by Kuli

Didn't realize I was "stealing" when I down vote someone. What am I stealing? Their already depleted self-esteem?

I cannot help you if your train of thought brings you to this conclusion -.-

Edit: I'm sorry. I actually see you posted twice. Clearly in each you pick quotes and target them specifically out of context. Again, cannot help you :/
03/27/2017 11:35 AMPosted by Kuli
03/27/2017 11:34 AMPosted by Santura

You're not helping anyone with this bull!@#$ forum post.
Posted by Kuli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jltnBOrCB7I

EDIT: FYI, if you listen to Professor Friedman's response, think back to Fight Club and this quote:

Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
The thing to keep in the back of one's mind with the voting system is:

1) Only worry about it if there were enough positives to push the post to Highly Rated or enough negatives hide it.
2) Ignore, for real ignore, everything in between.
Every time flying was discussed during WoD. People arguing the merits of a flightless game would get downvote brigaded into oblivion. I actually got banned from the forums in one such thread because a bunch of pro-flight shills spammed the report troll button. I had to petition a GM to get it overturned.

Sorry bud, I don't believe this at all. Since those threads get heated and pretty nasty in some players responding, you probably were reported for potentially breaking the CoC. Down-votes/up votes have zero to do with a poster being banned from the forums. You can only get banned from breaking the Forum CoC.
Just have to get used to it boss. I am pretty sure i could post the cure for cancer and still be downvoted:)

I look at it now as a sign of endearment
03/27/2017 11:37 AMPosted by Levíathan
1) Only worry about it if there were enough positives to push the post to Highly Rated or enough negatives hide it.

Why? That doesn't automatically make it correct.
03/27/2017 10:38 AMPosted by Kuli
Trends. How do you analyze data?

You have neither access or enough of said data to make this assertion. Now having said that, I think the whole up/down vote is kinda silly at times. But to be honest, I'm more likely to look a post that is greyed out because of down votes. So down voting stuff has the opposite affect on me.

I would at least like to see just how may up vs down votes a post is getting.
I wonder what my life would be like if my self-esteem was so low that forum trolls clicking a button affected me so much.
03/27/2017 11:37 AMPosted by Santura
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You're not helping anyone with this bull!@#$ forum post.

So what I'm reading is "im mad. Don't talk to me."
My response is: oh well, it's a forum.
Sorry bud, I don't believe this at all. Since those threads get headted and pretty nasty in some players responding, you probably were reported for potentially breaking the CoC. Down-votes/up votes have zero to do with a poster being banned from the forums. You can only get banned from breaking the Forum CoC.

Disbelief doesn't make it any less true.

I wanted my argument against flight to be heard so I kept my language within the posting guidelines. When the GM finally got around to undoing the ban, they apologized, a few times.

My guess is there's an automatic suspension switch that's tripped when a post gets a certain amount of reports in a certain amount of time.
03/27/2017 11:40 AMPosted by Brisone
I wonder what my life would be like if my self-esteem was so low that forum trolls clicking a button affected me so much.

Not my feelings. You misread the conversation. I'm concerned about spamming threads* not my post. Since as previously stated. One person cannnot spam my specific post. But individuals can spam an entire thread.
The only problem with your idea OP, is that you can't prove what's going thru a person's mind or prove intent based on how many times they downvote. Your idea reminds me of the person here who asked that those people who join mythic keystones with the only intent to grief the holder be banned.

If your idea was to happen, how would it be implemented exactly?

Blizz- "We're taking action (whatever it would be) against you for spamming downvotes."
Player- "Huh? I just disagreed with those opinions. That's all."
Blizz- "Oh....uh.....well what about this post over here where you downvoted?"
Player- "Well yeah- I didn't agree with that idea either. What's the problem?"

Not everyone is going to like what anyone posts, and that's the beauty of it. And guess what OP? You don't have to like the freedom of that choice either :)