so chest exploiters get to fly early

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
04/07/2017 01:45 PMPosted by Kuranna
04/07/2017 01:38 PMPosted by Marvolo
What exactly is this exploit? I don't understand it.

Also, what is a Horcrux? Purely educational.

There is no exploit.

Some people went crazy farming chests, even *gasp* realm hopping to do it and Blizzard decided they were getting rep a bit too quickly and nerfed it.

Now they're salty that they can't do it too so they're calling everyone who did it an exploiter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm salty over it too but I place the blame squarely at Blizzards feet, not the people who went out grinding.

I'm not mad that I couldn't have done it, and I wouldn't do it cause I don't like to cheat in MMO's sorry thanks.
yall need to look up what 'exploit' means.

This is just sad.
Also I didn't server hop, I did all my chest farming on good ol' Gundrak :)
04/07/2017 01:41 PMPosted by Necropheliaa
Going to copy and paste this from a comment i made in a thread just like this one...

If Server Hop is considered an "exploit", then World Quest Group Finder should also be considered an exploit. They're basically the same thing, but WQGF is more advanced.

You could argue WQGF is worse since it automates the entire process. If a group doesn't exist, it creates a new one for you. The addon makes a group and posts it to group finder, not you.

As a matter of fact, you could argue that WQGF is more responsible for the "exploit" than server hop. Think about it... Where do 90% of those groups that Server Hop uses come from? WQGF automated groups! You literally don't even need Server Hop to realm hop effectively. WQGF gives you a full list of different groups/realms in the premade group tab! Go look yourself! Just click to join them manually and you have no need for Server Hop outside of convenience.

Do you use WQGF? Do you think it should be considered an exploit and those who use it have all the rep they got using WQGF rolled back?

No? Didn't think so... See how such an argument and become very gray, very fast? I understand you guys are frustrated that it's taking longer to get flying, but don't accuse people of "cheating the system" when they, under blizz's terms, aren't doing such.

They could've just as easily opened the premade tab and "Server Hopped" themselves. They just found a way to make it much easier to do it.

While we're at it we need to ban everyone using dbm since it automates raid boss timers.

Use stopwatches you filthy casuals!
04/07/2017 01:46 PMPosted by Frostscythe
04/07/2017 01:41 PMPosted by Gnomêrlock

I'm sure it wasn't meant to be used as a loop hole to keep grinding 24/7 as soon as the small area that your in was depleted, or else they wouldn't have nerfed the chests.

Um.. yes it was, serverhop is mainly used for farming mats to sell on the AH or rares to check if they are up on different servers as well as rep farming mobs etc.

That seems to be exploiting imo, nothing in game tells you if a rare mob is up or if mats are still available.
04/07/2017 01:47 PMPosted by Infernastorm

This is just sad.

verb (used with object)
to utilize, especially for profit; turn to practical account:
to exploit a business opportunity.
to use selfishly for one's own ends:
to advance or further through exploitation; promote:

In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.[1] Exploits have been classified as a form of cheating; however, the precise determination of what is or is not considered an exploit can be controversial. This debate stems from a number of factors but typically involves the argument that the issues are part of the game and require no changes or external programs to take advantage of them.

Need a better definition?
04/07/2017 01:48 PMPosted by Gnomêrlock

Um.. yes it was, serverhop is mainly used for farming mats to sell on the AH or rares to check if they are up on different servers as well as rep farming mobs etc.

That seems to be exploiting imo, nothing in game tells you if a rare mob is up or if mats are still available.

You're completely lost on what addons actually do, aren't you?
04/07/2017 01:45 PMPosted by Kuranna
Don't get me wrong, I'm salty over it too but I place the blame squarely at Blizzards feet, not the people who went out grinding.

Tbh the pricks who are bragging about it probably should have it removed off them but the rest are fine imo.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

How is that exploiting? I don't need an addon to server hop. I can go into the premade tab, select "join group", phase into that realm, farm mats, repeat the same way.
04/07/2017 01:47 PMPosted by Infernastorm

This is just sad.

verb (used with object)
to utilize, especially for profit; turn to practical account:
to exploit a business opportunity.
to advance or further through exploitation; promote:

Need a better definition?

Yes, the one for video games would be helpful, since it means something entirely different in the context of video games.
Exploit early and exploit often has been the mantra for WoW forever.
They should make all the chest spawn once a day for each player. So I can't pop your chests, you can't pop mine. Maybe cut the number of chests by 25%. Same concept as killing a rare (at least in Tanaan) and getting loot rewards once a day. Then there is no reason to server hop, and everyone can be rewarded for hunting and popping chests.

An exploit would be like what happened on the Heroic ICC25 Lk kill when a rogue was throwing bombs at LK and the platform was coming back, while it is true that they didn't know why it was coming back they still used it, as with Serverhop it just automates systems Blizzard has already put in place aka group finder and phasing into other realms so no its not an exploit its just using the program to do what people would of done anyways.
04/07/2017 01:49 PMPosted by Gnomêrlock

Why did you bold that one? it's irrelevant.

#3 is the definition that applies to the situation, since we're talking about a video game.

So, again, maybe you should go read up on what 'exploit' means.

Edit: Downvoting me doesn't make me wrong.
04/07/2017 01:53 PMPosted by Light
They should make all the chest spawn once a day for each player. So I can't pop your chests, you can't pop mine. Maybe cut the number of chests by 25%. Same concept as killing a rare (at least in Tanaan) and getting loot rewards once a day. Then there is no reason to server hop, and everyone can be rewarded for hunting and popping chests.

Nooo that would just make rep gated even more, and they might as well just add an extra WQ because you don't have to go search for chests since you know they'll be there waiting for you.
Said it in another thread and ill say it again.

Blizzard always seems to screw up reputation related rewards. For example, at expansion launch, there was a bug with Nightfallen rep(Specifically, the quest with the withered) where people were able to do it over and over again. They were able to do the new dungeons way earlier. They were able to get further in the quest chain. etc.

Now here we are with legion fall, another "bug" where people are server hopping and farming chests. People take advantage of it. It is nerfed before the general population can take advantage of it. And once again, other players are waaaaaaaay ahead from the rest of the population.

It really isn't fair. I'm sick of bugs/glitches/unintended methods allowing other players to get ahead and Blizzard allowing them to just stay way ahead.
04/07/2017 01:55 PMPosted by Necropheliaa
04/07/2017 01:53 PMPosted by Light

Nooo that would just make rep gated even more, and they might as well just add an extra WQ because you don't have to go search for chests since you know they'll be there waiting for you.

Just put one big chest in my order hall that I can open and get the equivalent of the contents of every chest on the island with one easy click.

That seems reasonable to me.
04/07/2017 01:55 PMPosted by Necropheliaa

That's why I mentioned cut by 25%. Leave room to make it random. There are so many chest spawn locations* in this zone, I doubt the majority of the player base is catching 1/3 of them on a daily basis.
So because I put in 5-9 hours a day grinding something so that I could get flying faster, I should be punished because the people who didn't put in that effort and time think it's unfair? Do you even know what you're saying?

People who put effort into something and work for it should be rewarded. Ideally, the more time and effort, the bigger the reward. I did a horrible, boring, time-consuming grind for rep, little by little, so that I could get flying faster, because I wanted it and was willing to work for it. But you think it's fair to take that away from me because you didn't do the same?

It wasn't an exploit, or a cheat, or a hack. It was running around the island, noting down the spawn locations of the chests, and farming them. For hours. I could have been doing something else with that time, something fun, but because I wanted to be able to fly sooner, I chose to do this.

This grind shouldn't have been a requirement in the first place. But because it was implemented, we all have to wait behind gates for flying. To remove that gate now would be punishing the players who worked for it.

But guess what? You will get flying. You won't get it as fast, but you will still get it. So what if we got it faster? Nothing about this prevents you from eventually getting the ability to fly. How fast it happens depends on how much time you're willing to invest in it.

TL;DR: Don't punish players who work for things because players who don't work for things feel like it's unfair. You get what you put in.

(Edit) Not just for flying, but because I want to be a beautiful, mustached owl. But apparently that's exalted, so not there yet.