"Named" NPCs In Pandaria

General Discussion
I recently had my 91 Paladin in Pandaria and was finding the questing a bit more challenging (and rightfully so) However, I have previously had zero difficulty attacking "named" NPCs that appear in quest areas. Some of these "special" NPCs were 3 or 4 levels HIGHER than my character when I easily dispatched them. Even some Elites I usually had little trouble with.

But the rules appear to have changed somewhat in Pandaria. The area I was in was Land of the Four Winds, and as I was heading west, I noticed a silver directional arrow in addition to the gold one that points to quests, and it was pointing to an area. When I flew to where it was pointing, there was a yellow star on the map. I flew down to find a "named" NPC called "Howler" in a cave there, and he showed as 2 levels below me, and was NOT an elite. So, I attacked him. I couldn't even get his health bar down by a quarter before he knocked my health down almost to zero with ONE move. And of course, I died. Do the yellow stars indicate something that I am unaware of? Why would he not show as an elite if he is that tough?

Just found it a bit annoying that an NPC that didn't appear overly tough would turn out to be tougher than ANYTHING I've ever encountered in the game to this point.

EDIT: I have found out that the name of the NPC is "Yowler" not "Howler". Thanks to those who responded.
I can find no reference to a NPC named Howler in Pandaria.
Well he was there, I didn't imagine him. There was another 'named' NPC that I fought and he was marked on the map with a yellow star. I managed to beat him, but can't remember his name.
It was probably a new tameable beast for hunters. Those things usually have mechanics to prevent other classes from killing them.
As far as I know a yellow star means a rare, and rares are more powerful than normal mobs.
OP, are you sure it wasn't the Yowler in Townlong Steppes? That mob is nasty, if so.

Edit: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=50832/the-yowler
03/26/2017 10:41 AMPosted by Weili
OP, are you sure it wasn't the Yowler in Townlong Steppes? That mob is nasty, if so.

Edit: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=50832/the-yowler

Yes, now that you mention it, THAT was the NPC name. Not 'howler'. And nasty, he was.
1.) Why are you in Pandaria at level 91? You should be in Draenor at this point.
2.) Since you should be in Draenor, mobs in Pandaria should be easier to kill once you hit 91 because you're above them in level. Only ones that might still be hard would be level 90 elites and rares.
3.) There is no "Land of the Four Winds". It's "Valley of the Four Winds".
4.) There is a mob named Howler in the game ... only it's in Tirisfal Glades and it's a wolf pet in Brill. Closest mob would be The Yowler which isn't even in Valley of the Four Winds. It's in Townlong Steppes, a very different zone.

... Looking at your gear, I think I found your issue.
1.) You're apparently a ret paladin ... wearing a shield and mace. Were you prot and went ret? Do you have a 2h weapon for ret? Easier to level as prot, though.
2.) Your mace had agility.
3.) Much of your gear is still from Cata content. Some of your gear is from WotLK ... or earlier.
So are you vendoring literally every upgrade you've gotten or something? Your health and damage is a fair bit lower than it would be if you had gear for your level. There's no reason you should still be wearing an iLvL 70 ring or an iLvL 108 trinket.

On top of that, you have to account for the stat squish. Only pre-MoP content gives you a buff to damage once you out level it. MoP onward doesn't give you that buff. If you hit level 86 and went back to Twilight Highlands, you'd do a fair bit more damage to the mobs there than you did at 84-85. But once you hit 91, you've likely discovered you aren't doing that much more damage to mobs in Pandaria than you did at 89-90. Also, while gear from vanilla to Cata were squished so upgrades weren't as important, once you hit MoP content, you NEED to upgrade your gear. The stat different from pieces you get at level 85 and what you get at 90 is VERY different.

I'd suggest going to Timeless Isle and running around getting chests for the tokens so you can at least get some iLvL 476 gear. Honestly, you should be in Draenor anyway, not Pandaria. Once you have an iLvL more indicative of your level, MoP rares would be far easier to kill.

To put it nicely, your gear sucks. That's why you died.
03/26/2017 11:13 AMPosted by Dyra
To put it nicely, your gear sucks. That's why you died.

Regarding the rest of your post, I do appreciate your input. However, I have had no difficulty with ANY boss, ANY mobs or elites, up to this point, and that's excluding Instances of course. The worst damage I ever received from ANY NPC only got my health down by a third, so I saw no reason to change anything. However, I will take your points into consideration. Thanks for responding.
My druid is full loom and dungeon blues from MoP and I died to that dude in Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

he did a cleave move that took away 70% of my HP and then my dumb self stood in the next cleave because I guess I just thought I was dodging it, but got clipped still.

So saying they died because of gear could be very wrong. Some of those mobs can kill you with their mechanics, even if your gear is crazy.
Different types of names in MoP have moves that will either kill you or do some serious damage to you.

Some of the worst ones to me was the pandrians and mantid rare/elites.

I just figure the gold stars were for rares/names myself.
pandaria rares have mechanics that will mess you up good if you ignore them. even this guy in our guild, a lvl 100 brewmaster, got killed by that mantid in kun lai back in wod when we were on our way to do nalak. he thought, i'm mr 100 tank, the rare's last xpac. didn't work out.
Rare NPCs worked differently in Pandaria. They all had tough mechanics to deal with that would kill anyone in one hit, and killing them gave an incredible amount of XP (as well as a bunch of other cool rewards like toys and stuff),

That shaman above me who went on a crazy multi-page rant about your character being in the wrong zone/gear has probably been hitting the "elements" a little too hard. It doesn't really matter what gear, spec, or abilities you use until you start getting close to level 110 and trying to do content that's more precisely tuned toward people playing optimally.
Thanks again for the responses.

Just out of curiosity, what do others think of the comment that (Dyra) made that I should be in Draenor right now, instead of Pandaria? I really thought I was way too low a level to be in any of the zones over there.....especially if I was already finding it a bit tougher in Pandaria?
At level 90 WoD opens up to charaters to quest in.

So if you are level 90 or higher that is the better questing exp, I would think.

But saying you should be questing there when you are enjoying MoP is a different thing though, if that is the case.
Cata starts at 80, mop at 85, wod at 90, legion at 100. You should move to new zones immediately when hitting these levels IF your goal is to reach max level quickly. If you are having fun exploring then there is no rush. Why arent you equipping dungeon and quest rewards?
03/26/2017 11:49 AMPosted by Rhineleanor

Just out of curiosity, what do others think of the comment that (Dyra) made that I should be in Draenor right now, instead of Pandaria? I really thought I was way too low a level to be in any of the zones over there.....especially if I was already finding it a bit tougher in Pandaria?

She was exceptionally rude, but she was right about the gear probably being the reason that you were still finding Pandaria mobs challenging.

There are gear vendors at the start of each zone that would help you get some upgrades. I think the highest-level one you can get is in the camp at the start of Townlong Steppes.
03/26/2017 11:53 AMPosted by Alennon
At level 90 WoD opens up to charaters to quest in.

So if you are level 90 or higher that is the better questing exp, I would think.

But saying you should be questing there when you are enjoying MoP is a different thing though, if that is the case.

Considering the ridiculous diminishing returns on doing MoP stuff when you are 90+ you really shouldnt be questing there.
03/26/2017 11:49 AMPosted by Rhineleanor

Do what you want. If you're getting xp and having fun then good for you. If you're goal is to max fast then you should move on. Otherwise, have fun :)
03/26/2017 11:44 AMPosted by Garrulous

That shaman above me who went on a crazy multi-page rant about your character being in the wrong zone/gear has probably been hitting the "elements" a little too hard.

You mean hitting the Alelements too hard