Tanking Skittish

Monk
Hey all,

First time tanking Skittish as a Brewmaster. I've heard we're pretty solid on this affix, but had a few specific questions.

1.) Does the Black Ox Statue help with Skittish? I usually go with Leg Sweep, but it seems like this talent was basically made for Skittish.
2.) Any other talents or techniques you like to use to help deal with Teaming/Skittish/Fortified?

Thanks all.
I always use the statue during skittish weeks

if you have the taunt statue macro set up, it makes it so we can pretty much ignore skittish

Just be very careful with placement of the statue since it has been known to pull mobs through walls
Update: Just did 3 Mythic+s... we managed to 2 chest a +9. On 2 +11 attempts HoV, didn't even make it to the first boss. The runs were a complete disaster. Even spamming Taunt on the Statue didn't seem to do anything. I'd keep aggro on a few, but anywhere between 2-3 would run around, smacking DPS like crazy.

Any other tips are welcome before I become known as Kain, Destroyer of Keystones.
I hate using the statue in EoA. It'll also taunt the unwanted snail or bird if you're not careful.

Also in MoS boat, it'll pull mobs through walls.
03/27/2017 02:26 PMPosted by Kâin
On 2 +11 attempts HoV

Teeming/fortified HoV is where keys go to die. Skittish just makes it even worse, but that's more to do with the dungeon rather than your play as a brewmaster. Skittish is designed to punish DPS for not focusing what the tank's hitting, so if they're nuking what you aren't throwing Tiger Palms on they're going to get aggro quickly and pay for it. Dave can only mitigate so much of the aggro reduction.
May I introduce you to our lord and savior, the choker of barbed reins?
03/28/2017 04:07 AMPosted by Mookong

Our lord and savior only has a slight chance to bless us with his presence once a week, if we pray hard enough but only if he feels like it.

He doesn't feel like getting anywhere near me...

Thankfully I will be able to pray for him more often in 7.2
Definitely a tough one after you hit +10s.

Fortified makes it very tough, and HoV is one of the tougher Fortified instances because its trash is so aggravating.

I use choker of barbed reins because it is nice extra dps on every pull, and then you just need to go ham on damage. Statue + macro really helps out, but as stated it can pull extra stuff so definitely be careful in what you're pulling.

If you have solid dps don't be afraid to CC extra mobs (like the casters in HoV) because you can focus them down one by one. I ran a +11 Maw with another guildies monk tanking and a pub ench shaman was just getting aced on every pull because he was going in right away and just unloading on mobs without giving the tank any time to go. Dude died like 11 times. DPS have to watch themselves in teeming/skittish. You can't just burst 1M+ in any aoe situation and not expect a mob to turn around and hit you for your entire life.

Running with a rogue/hunter is nice because tricks/misdirect really smooths a lot of the pulls out so you don't have to start being behind.

And the last one that really helps is that if you struggle a lot, tell your team to give you a few extra seconds to build threat. Getting a 3-5s head start on your dps might slow you down some, but having a dps die is 5s + all the time he is dead not doing dps in time.
Thanks all - I think my next tourist destination is Karazhan to get said choker for the next Skittish week. I've only done it like once on my main as it was more or less dated on release for him as our guild had H NH on farm and I've been lucky with trinkets.

I'll also make sure I'm taking optimal DPS traits for next round of Skittish. I thought it would be brilliant first go to use High Tolerance, not realizing how much I'd miss 9 second Breaths or 2x damage Tiger Palms when I really needed to do damage. Not that it *really* helped much the second time, but there was some user error there I'm sure.

I've also tended to shy away from traits like Special Delivery, as it's inconsistent, whereas I can hit Rushing Jade Wind a split second before a pull and get some guaranteed extra damage from the get-go... but I have to respect that it's a DPS loss.
For 100 talents, go with what you are comfortable with. I run HT because it's what I enjoy, but if you perform better with BoC then run that. You will notice a little more up front damage, but you will definitely perform better with BoC if you are used to it.

For 90 talents, I can go with either SD or RJW. I have used both in skittish weeks, although I think RJW will help more with trash packs but SD is definitely better on bosses. In the long term SD can perform better on average, but if you get unlucky it can be inconsistent compared to RJW.

I am looking forward to Kara M+. Getting an 880-900 Choker would be insane (it procs a lot, 3-4% of my ST damage at 855 ilevel neck piece (888 equipped)).
03/28/2017 04:07 AMPosted by Mickstagger

PSA for anyone coming across this thread after 7.2: The choker has been nerfed (or, more accurately, "fixed" as it was likely a bug in the first place) and is no longer worth using for DPS.

Feel free to use it if it's the best neck you have available to you, but it no longer works off of Stagger damage and thus is not worth using over a better ilvl/itemized necklace.
03/28/2017 03:44 PMPosted by Bearfu

PSA for anyone coming across this thread after 7.2: The choker has been nerfed (or, more accurately, "fixed" as it was likely a bug in the first place) and is no longer worth using for DPS.

Feel free to use it if it's the best neck you have available to you, but it no longer works off of Stagger damage and thus is not worth using over a better ilvl/itemized necklace.

The sad part is, as I was tanking a few dungeons today, I wondered what was going on. It has indeed been nerfed pretty hard.

EDIT: To reiterate, I pulled all of the trash from the first mini boss in VoTW up to the doorway to where the Fel Infused Furies are (normally an enormous amount of damage from the neck) and it was only ~4.1%, usually ~25%

:/
03/28/2017 03:44 PMPosted by Bearfu

Sad to see.
Well I guess that its proof that the devs do read the forums.
On skittish, boc helps a lot, also assure you are maximizing the extra threat during the taunt debuff.
Have your dps wait a second until you can establish threat. For spread out pulls like the beginning of HOV this is even more important because if you KS right away it will not hit everything.
In areas where you can use statue (remember you can place it behind you but still within taunt range) use a macro to AOE taunt then fit in the debuff window your KS and EK or KS and BOF.
If you are ever lucky enough to get the legendary chest it helps.. So does the trinket as they both provide significant damage.
Also assure you are using Omen or another threat meter, cycling through the adds you are tanking and putting more dmg into the adds your DPS have higher threat on. Empowered TP helps a lot on those (in-between KS of course).
With my haste and haste food I can fit 5 globals between each KS so I can choose which 2 to empower, generally in skittish you would want to empower 1 BOF and 1 TP or 2 TP if you have chest..
Before you pull mob packs the first thing you should do is put down your statue where you want the mobs infront to stack at. Place it ahead of time so it has 1-2s before any dps notice and start aoeng or stealing threat. The main way statue works is to group all the mobs for 1-2s before you take threat from it on the pull. After its placed, roll in, BoS one of them, then aoe taunt keg smash. Taunting is useless if you don't do any damage in the window, and the Provoke CD is the same as keg smash. Every 8s should be an aoe taunt keg smash.

RJW is nice for picking up adds, but if you aren't doing enough dmg, you will lose threat gradually anyways. With the new taunt modifier this shouldn't really be a thing but I know personally I would lose threat to DH every 6s on pull, and every warrior with draught. Even if its RNG the special surprise is like 15-30% threat more it feels like (blizz ui) on nameplates overall. Plus it pushes dmg in a timed instance. Putting statue down early and farming threat at the start with a good first taunt keg smash will be more than enough.

Oh you mean the one that had fun nerfed in 7.2?