Has everyone just gotten better?

Arenas
Hey guys, I'm struggling to bust 1650 in 2s and can't even break 1000 in 3s!!!
I used to float around 1950 to 2.1 in cata and mop (as a rsham and rdruid). Now just returning a month ago from missing WOD, but now I'm struggling. Even though I'm just casually playing with no voice and am having fun, it's pretty demoralising to see my win to loss ratio in the negative.
I know disc priests can in fact be buffed a little bit because I feel making mistakes is much more unforgiving (especially when I'm having mana problems and the artifact ability is pretty garbage).
But I still do think I should be winning 1500mmr games. Am I just terrible??
Probly a mix of not playing properly, and better players overall on average compared to previous expansions.
The only people left doing arena are the higher rated players from previous xpacks. The game has lost a LOT of players and arena representstion is at an ALL TIME low.
Players in general have just gotten better
all the tricks and plays we thought were amazing back in the day are pretty much just common knowledge now
04/16/2017 03:31 PMPosted by Zorazer
all the tricks and plays we thought were amazing back in the day are pretty much just common knowledge now

Ahh fair enough, as long as games are quite competitive for me and having fun idm the losses.

Or they've been pruned out via removal/tweaking of abilities. Rogues are a prime example of this every step of the way.
04/16/2017 03:41 PMPosted by Purring

Or they've been pruned out via removal/tweaking of abilities. Rogues are a prime example of this every step of the way.

This too
No. Healers just got !@#$tier and dps got easier.
Everyone who plays are people who are already commited. That and legion is very class/comp bias whatever is fotm is such a huge deal. I also think that most of those classes that are over tuned just so happen to be the easiest ones too
if ur a fine lady id be happy to show u the ropes heh
Well for 2's right now according to ArenaMate there are only 442 characters above 2k at the moment in the US. Contrast that with EU where they have almost 1,000 characters above 2k.

So 1600-1800 is probably all 2k-2200 players. You are probably exactly where you used to be it's just participation is extremely low.
04/17/2017 08:41 AMPosted by Telendron
Well for 2's right now according to ArenaMate there are only 442 characters above 2k at the moment in the US. Contrast that with EU where they have almost 1,000 characters above 2k.

So 1600-1800 is probably all 2k-2200 players. You are probably exactly where you used to be it's just participation is extremely low.

This may be a factor as well. Towards the end of last season we had top players at ~3k. Now the ladder is capped around 2700.

Also, to telendron: The 2k-2200 players aren't 1800 because of 'low participation'. It's called deflation. This happens when a new season starts. People haven't had the time to get back up to like 3100 yet
04/17/2017 08:48 AMPosted by Karmavore
04/17/2017 08:41 AMPosted by Telendron

This may be a factor as well. Towards the end of last season we had top players at ~3k. Now the ladder is capped around 2700.

Also, to telendron: The 2k-2200 players aren't 1800 because of 'low participation'. It's called deflation. This happens when a new season starts. People haven't had the time to get back up to like 3100 yet

Yeah I know deflation caused the rating drop due to the new season reset. But people aren't playing the games to make it rise again hence low participation is causing the low rating.
Most of your answers have been said above;

1) 99% of the PvP playerbase has quit. 1mil rated accounts to around 40,000 in 6 years. Those 40,000 are the previous top 40,000. You're fighting invested, veteran and knowledgeable people now.

2) Deflation. New season, less participation.

3) The prune has grossly lowered the skill ceiling. To be a 9/10 player on most classes now requires about 4 buttons and mild awareness

4) FOTM has never been more prominent. People find exactly what works and refuse to play anything else. X spec must play Y comp in Z fashion. It's really difficult to compete if you're not spamming T1 comps.

5) Power disparities are huge now. Traits, ilvl, you name it. If you're i840 you're a MASSIVE amount behind someone that's i920. At least 8% overall stats. And don't let people downplay it, with scaling that 8% is huge. And then if you're at trait 37 fighting someone at 47? Good freakin' luck. You get dumpstered by the no-life try-hards now.
This skill level in the game overall has increased a lot since cata. Game is older people have more experience.
The answer is no there is just less ability to outplay people now. And certain classes are disgusting and u will randomly lose to them unless u are playing with the most amazing players.
04/17/2017 08:55 AMPosted by Blindtko

5) Power disparities are huge now. Traits, ilvl, you name it. If you're i840 you're a MASSIVE amount behind someone that's i920. At least 8% overall stats. And don't let people downplay it, with scaling that 8% is huge. And then if you're at trait 37 fighting someone at 47? Good freakin' luck. You get dumpstered by the no-life try-hards now.

This is false. By default in instanced pvp your Ilvl scales to 900. This means that you will only get a boost for any ilvls above 900.
04/17/2017 09:45 AMPosted by Ghooll
04/17/2017 08:55 AMPosted by Blindtko

This is false. By default in instanced pvp your Ilvl scales to 900. This means that you will only get a boost for any ilvls above 900.

Wrong.
04/17/2017 09:57 AMPosted by Telendron

Wrong.

Actually not wrong but k.

Incorrect. Tested and proven false.