Warcraft 3 Retcons

General Discussion
So while i wait for this whole unable to login mess gets fixed i decided that i would play some warcraft 3, but then i remembered something. I know that blizzard retconing old lore is nothing new but there is 2 things that i remembered over anything else.

1rst point: Chen Stormstrout, pandaren brewmaster in WoW tells he is from the wandering isle and never been in pandaria before, but in Warcraft 3 he said clearly to rexxar that he is from pandaria.
Proof: http://imgur.com/a/UjExK

2nd point: Im not 100% sure cause i have to replay all the campaigns (lost all my saves to a system wipe) but where not the broken isles underwater? at least the tomb of sargeras and some parts of it for sure. Well thats not the point, the point is, SURAMAR WAS IN RUINS, there was not a single living elf there (unless they pulled a atlantis disney and were underwater) so what is the excuse we were given? (i have the bad habit of not reading quest text on my main, i have an alt for just questing XD)
Proof: http://imgur.com/a/X44BR

Now that i made those two points, does anyone else remember any other retcon from Warcraft 3? if you do please share it.

Sorry for any english fails, its not my main language (its my 3rd).
Draenei

/thread
5 old gods in WC3 retconned to 4.
The Stormstouts originated on Pandaria and moved to the Wandering Isles. I do believe he was speaking of his heritage as a whole.

As for Suramar? They only tell you 486 times that the Nightwell was used to completely shield and protect the city. Imagine it worked just like the mists that protected Pandaria.
04/10/2017 02:21 PMPosted by Nick
The Stormstouts originated on Pandaria and moved to the Wandering Isles. I do believe he was speaking of his heritage as a whole.

As for Suramar? They only tell you 486 times that the Nightwell was used to completely shield and protect the city. Imagine it worked just like the mists that protected Pandaria.

Good point about Chen, but about suramar, i know that, i also know that the shield was to defend them against the demons, but if that hid suramar too, what about the withered? or any exiled elf that managed to survive on the outside like the nightfallen? where they invisible or something?
Yup a lot was retconned, no excuse or reasons made up but simply that old stuff limited their story narratives for the game and so they changed it.
Here's to Metzen flat out forgetting the lore in BC and creating the Draenei.
04/10/2017 02:19 PMPosted by Thromgar
Draenei

/thread

You made me think of something, if i remember correctly when a draenei loses the light they shrivel up and become brokens, doesnt that means that the broken are the real form of the draenei and the "normal" draenei we see in the alliance are the "mutated" ones from the light?

Thats something i was thinking because when a draenei gets fel energy they mutate (red, bigger horns, sometimes spikes and even wings), so what is to say the same doesnt happen to them with the light?
04/10/2017 02:34 PMPosted by Garuon
04/10/2017 02:19 PMPosted by Thromgar
Draenei

/thread

You made me think of something, if i remember correctly when a draenei loses the light they shrivel up and become brokens, doesnt that means that the broken are the real form of the draenei and the "normal" draenei we see in the alliance are the "mutated" ones from the light?

Thats something i was thinking because when a draenei gets fel energy they mutate (red, bigger horns, sometimes spikes and even wings), so what is to say the same doesnt happen to them with the light?

I am a hardcore Wacraft 3 fan than anyother, but I admit I like the Draenai lore.

Especially gives Kil'jaeden all the more deeper backstory.
Tomb was raised by Gul'dan during the second war I believe (after the fall of stormwind, he abandoned the horde when the were to march on lordaeron, stealing some of the horde ships)

Uncertain about the suramar thing but as someone said before it could have been something from the shield, hell it may have protected them from everything, including being sunk, they couldn't see the sky so obv they couldn't see out if it.
04/10/2017 02:27 PMPosted by Garuon

Good point about Chen, but about suramar, i know that, i also know that the shield was to defend them against the demons, but if that hid suramar too, what about the withered? or any exiled elf that managed to survive on the outside like the nightfallen? where they invisible or something?

Most of the withered and Nightfallen are a result of the exiled dissenters from Elisande joining the Legion, which are recent events to the timeline. Plus, even though the in-game continent is small, Maiev only followed Illidan into the Tomb and the ruins surrounding it, which were very likely a part of Suramar at one point. So she didn't go looking for the city, just pursuing Illidan. The easy answer here is she just completely failed to notice it.

Think of Shattrath in Draenor, the main city hub is shielded off, but there is still plenty of city outside the bubble. Same with Suramar, they likely had all kinds of outposts and towns that were part of Suramar, left to ruin when the shield went up.

We also have to remember that some of the changes were necessary. Comparing the 3-4 levels where Draenei lore are even mentioned, or the 2-3 levels in the broken isles, is just setting up a stagefront for those levels. Fleshing them out and making them real parts to the now-expanded game universe requires some tweaking around the general idea.
I believe the way it works is that everything that took place on the broken isles in WC 2 and 3 took place solely on the islands we now call the Broken Shore.

Azsuna, Suramar, Stormheim, Val'shara, and Highmountain were there, but no one went there.
Sargeras was an ok dude until the evil of the Eredar and Nathrezim convinced him to destroy everything.

Bit of a backpedal on that one.
04/10/2017 03:19 PMPosted by Renouncer
I believe the way it works is that everything that took place on the broken isles in WC 2 and 3 took place solely on the islands we now call the Broken Shore.

Azsuna, Suramar, Stormheim, Val'shara, and Highmountain were there, but no one went there.

Some of the stuff in WC3 may be in the area we now call Aszuna. It's the only zone that looks like it was raised from the ocean. You find starfish pretty high up on the hills there.

The Tomb of Sargeras was part of Suramar City at some point, I mean the whole thing is a mirror of the Nighthold that was once connected by a bridge to the Nighthold. It stands to reason that a good bulk of the Broken Isles in WC3 took place on the island we now call Broken Shore.

Even if you count the larger zone around the shield the city of Suramar 10,000 years ago was much larger than the part they put the bubble over. Almost the whole zone is filled with ruins.
Wasn't there the whole thing with the nathrezim corrupting sargeras too
Blizzard can continue retconning all sense out of the warcraft universe, I lost my faith in their story writing.

When wow classic is released I'm going to plea ignorance and ignore everything after vanilla. Even vanilla only had broken draenei, better matching warcraft 3 the frozen throne.
What I'd really like to see is blizzard releasing a warcraft 4 that takes place right after the events of warcraft 3 and ignores all the changes and retconns brought in world of warcraft. Just think of wow as fan-fiction and the RTS as the real game lore.