Fenryr Hotfix.

Hunter
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
omg a blue post that wasn't copy pasta from the EU forums.

They are alive!!
04/13/2017 10:45 AMPosted by Ornyx
04/13/2017 06:51 AMPosted by Jankøvic
...'Cause that would be fun, an' we all know that Blizzy ain't about fun; it's 'bout makin' the macaroons.
I don't really think 'fun' is the word you're looking for here - people love to scream that we've removed 'fun' from the game when there's a bug that's fixed and then things take a bit of effort, and this really just perpetuates negativity in the community.

Doing a 5-man dungeon and then taking advantage of a broken spawn doesn't really scream 'fun'. It was a cool way around the challenge, sure, but on both sides it wasn't exciting - getting Fenryr was the point of excitement, and that is still possible, so let's try to be sensible.

---

For clarification - the soft reset method was a bug, which has now been fixed, and the intended method of taming Fenryr is to complete this challenge solo.

As others have said, it would be silly to remove those who already obtained the pet, especially when early adopters didn't necessarily realize that the method was unintended, so we have no plans to do so.

Best of luck to all those trying to obtain Fenryr!

you know there's a MM thread with 934 comments over on the class dev board, can you explain the blues position on aspects of the game that actually matter?
04/13/2017 11:19 AMPosted by Streetrats
you know there's a MM thread with 934 comments over on the class dev board, can you explain the blues position on aspects of the game that actually matter?

But i care about Fenryr more than i do about MM, so it's okay.
For clarification - the soft reset method was a bug, which has now been fixed, and the intended method of taming Fenryr is to complete this challenge solo.

I'm curious, but what's happening with QA testers over on the WoW team? This sort of bug seems like the sort of thing that'd be caught pretty quickly with some QA testers told "This is the new thing. Try to break it.".

I don't ask this just because of this bug. The reaction to the ilvl scaling is another thing, specifically the response from the dev team. It feels like you're using the PTR with unpaid players as the only or, at the very least, overwhelming majority of testing. And that's not a good thing.

As happened with the dev comments on ilvl scaling, players don't test everything. People, en masse, don't do things on the PTR that don't give them a real, live-game benefit (primarily, this comes in the form of getting a leg up on understanding mechanics or progression in the coming patch -- which works great for raid testing, but not for everything). It feels like there just are very few paid QA testers doing the work, and that's causing what ends up going live to have a lot more experience-impacting bugs than there should be.

Because, really, this sort of bug is an experience-impacting bug. What was, at least partially, intended to be a badge of skill and dedication (taming Fenryr after clearing mythic bosses alone), isn't. It'd be like if one could disable an entire mechanic on a challenge artifact scenario, but when that was fixed, the prestigious appearance wasn't removed from those who had earned it that way.

Oh, right, that happened too.

To reiterate, it's not that bugs like this happen, but it feels like there's a lot of them lately, and the dev team comments on other matters make it feel like that's because there's an over-reliance on unpaid labour from players.
I don't really think 'fun' is the word you're looking for here - people love to scream that we've removed 'fun' from the game when there's a bug that's fixed and then things take a bit of effort, and this really just perpetuates negativity in the community.
Relax Blizzy, relax.

Obviously ya don't know that 75% of the time I ain't serious. The other 25%? Being snarky. 'sides, of all the posts ya come and grace us with, this minor hotfix is the one that gets yer attention?! Over the pages, pages an' pages of feedback threads 'bout the state of Marksmanship 'n' Beast Mastery... you decided to comment on a minor glitch?

I ain't a bettin' Gob, but if I was...
<span class="truncated">...</span>I don't really think 'fun' is the word you're looking for here - people love to scream that we've removed 'fun' from the game when there's a bug that's fixed and then things take a bit of effort, and this really just perpetuates negativity in the community.

Doing a 5-man dungeon and then taking advantage of a broken spawn doesn't really scream 'fun'. It was a cool way around the challenge, sure, but on both sides it wasn't exciting - getting Fenryr was the point of excitement, and that is still possible, so let's try to be sensible.

---

As others have said, it would be silly to remove those who already obtained the pet, especially when early adopters didn't necessarily realize that the method was unintended, so we have no plans to do so.

Best of luck to all those trying to obtain Fenryr!
For those who haven't tried it yet, could you clarify whether we need to solo the whole dungeon, or just Hymdall / Fenryr?

Also, appreciate the feedback.
Just through Hymdall and Fenryr, from my understanding. I can double check on this.
Just through Hymdall, from my understanding. I will double check on this.

That's correct, I was able to skip the trash to Hymdall, then skip the rest to fenryr; didn't need to pull anything other than those two.
04/13/2017 09:17 AMPosted by Lazyguide
I'm not sure if Fenryr needs to be soloed in order to tame him (have not personally tried to tame him.) But the whole dungeon is soloable. A few weeks back I soloed the place and put up videos where you can watch / listen to me attempt to (rather poorly admittedly) explain what you have to do

https://youtu.be/LRadBVSArt0

That's for Hymdall.

https://youtu.be/32pMb_xMj_k

And that is for Fenryr. I'm not sure if you have to clear all of the bosses but it is certainly doable (with Hryja probably being the most annoying quite frankly). So if anyone needs to solo the whole place, the other videos should be the first ones to show up on my channel.

Hopefully this gets fixed, but putting those links here for anyone who really want him and is having troubles soloing the bosses. Happy hunting!

Was this post or PRE 7.2?
04/13/2017 12:19 PMPosted by Rachit
04/13/2017 09:17 AMPosted by Lazyguide
I'm not sure if Fenryr needs to be soloed in order to tame him (have not personally tried to tame him.) But the whole dungeon is soloable. A few weeks back I soloed the place and put up videos where you can watch / listen to me attempt to (rather poorly admittedly) explain what you have to do

https://youtu.be/LRadBVSArt0

That's for Hymdall.

https://youtu.be/32pMb_xMj_k

And that is for Fenryr. I'm not sure if you have to clear all of the bosses but it is certainly doable (with Hryja probably being the most annoying quite frankly). So if anyone needs to solo the whole place, the other videos should be the first ones to show up on my channel.

Hopefully this gets fixed, but putting those links here for anyone who really want him and is having troubles soloing the bosses. Happy hunting!

Was this post or PRE 7.2?
It is pre 7.2, however nothing has changed mechanically and they should both still be doable.

Probably pre 7.2 you could push this at 860 - 870 I level I'd say. Post 7.2 I'd go in at like, 885 or higher.
04/13/2017 11:50 AMPosted by Bor

I'm curious, but what's happening with QA testers over on the WoW team? This sort of bug seems like the sort of thing that'd be caught pretty quickly with some QA testers told "This is the new thing. Try to break it.".

As someone who does QA, (I can't speak for Blizzard's processes) one thing that I have found true of all companies I have worked for is QA is different than Production. I have had instances where we tested a piece of functionality for hundreds of hours, only to have it fall apart in Production. It's frustrating, and always makes you feel like you didn't do your job.
You can do this on normal? Even solo, that sounds super easy if that's the case.
04/13/2017 12:41 PMPosted by Yintara
You can do this on normal? Even solo, that sounds super easy if that's the case.
I'll be testing later tonight, though I am fairly sure this has to be done on mythic, judging by the posts on the topic all being about it done on mythic.

Normal would be too easy if this is supposed to be a challenge, which I believe it is considering ornyx clarified it earlier that it is in fact a challenge and they hotfixed it so you can't cheese it.

So you support the "abuse early" mentality. This isn't a question. I am stating a fact. This hotfix punishes EVERYONE who didn't jump on the cheese bandwagon ASAP, why should my hunter have to work for it when jonny days-ago could roll in and just break the damm thing for an easy win?
04/13/2017 01:01 PMPosted by Kyjra

So you support the "abuse early" mentality. This isn't a question. I am stating a fact. This hotfix punishes EVERYONE who didn't jump on the cheese bandwagon ASAP, why should my hunter have to work for it when jonny days-ago could roll in and just break the damm thing for an easy win?
This has been their position on hunter pets obtained through unintended means since Vanilla. There are some hunters out there who still have their ooze from Wrath, and that was a much bigger bug because it's not even a beast, so it was never intended to be tamed.
People are basically grasping at straws rn.
It was a bug, a happy bug.
It got fixed. If you got it before the bug got fixed, cool. If you didn't, tough cookies.

Retroactively removing people's pets would be way messier, no?
Imagine the flood of tears if they took away people's grimtotem spirit guide.
As someone who took advantage of the bug and got mine with the five man mythic run it sure as heck wasn't easy for me one bit more like they carried my butt through the run and yes I did my share of fighting but only being 856 and not one who runs mythic on a daily basis if I didn't do this I would have lost out on a wolf pet.

I am sorry those who still want it have to solo it but if you run mythics all the time which I am sure many of you do then getting it won't be a problem.

I am glad to see Blizzard is letting us keep it if we got it that way seeing so many did that aren't mythic anything and removing it from all of them would be to much work for little reward.
04/13/2017 11:55 AMPosted by Ornyx
Just through Hymdall and Fenryr, from my understanding. I can double check on this.

Just tried and downed hymdall (last night before game crash) and fenryr (today) at 2:24 pm but no neutral spawn afterwards; I'm sitting in his cave but he's not joining the party!
Just more signs of exploit early exploit often being allowed.
04/13/2017 01:01 PMPosted by Kyjra

Only in very, very rare cases do they ever remove pets or special pet appearances from hunters who manage to tame an unintended pet. They may patch the game later to fix that unintended tameable, but I can only recall one time where they outright took away pets. It was the briefly-tameable worgen from Duskwood. With few exceptions, they generally allow hunters to keep what they tame. It's always been that way, from the oozes and flaming pigs, to oil-coated pets and the Grimtotem Spirit Guide (Which I leveled a hunter specifically for and never got, so tough luck for me! ;) ).
Has anyone tried accomplishing this as Survival by chance? My tenacity pets consistently fail to maintain aggro when I've given this a shot, regardless of Flanking Strike/Feign; I just don't see it happening without Misdirection (which, I'd be happy to have back... we gave freezing trap back to everyone else *grumble*). Just curious. Thanks.