Group Finder Addons Changed

UI and Macro
1 2 3 14 Next
Since the release of Patch 7.2, we’ve been working to resolve issues with realm performance that were causing players to experience heavy latency and/or disconnects on the Broken Isles. As our investigation has continued, we’ve discovered that many of these issues were being inadvertently caused by addons intended to automate the creation and joining of groups via the Group Finder, even for players who were not using those addons.

Today, we’ve changed what addons can do when interacting with Group Finder, in order to address major performance issues with the game service for players— not just for those using these addons, but for others as well.

In order to alleviate those issues, we’ve recently applied a hotfix that changes how addons interact with the Group Finder. Players will now need to give a manual confirmation when an addon attempts to:
- List and delist a Group Finder group.
- Search for and request an invite to a Group Finder group.

Addons that are affected by these changes will need to be updated to comply with this new restriction. We understand that this is a relatively sudden change, but it was important to resolve the performance issues as quickly as possible.

Note: If you are not using an addon that modifies the Group Finder feature, you should not encounter any issues resulting from this change.
Great change, always looking out for the players.
I bet people are going to be upset.

The fact is this addon was causing horrible lag and shutting down entire zones (Anyone remember Val'Shara two weeks ago?). The addon needed to be changed, but lets throw our arms up in rage because we can't see past how it affects us immediately.
Does this mean I'll no longer plummet to my little picnic spot in Azsuna on my warrior?
04/27/2017 05:55 PMPosted by Nephula
Does this mean I'll no longer plummet to my little picnic spot in Azsuna on my warrior?

Good lord if it means that...
Instead of breaking addons you should be working to make those baseline. World quest group finder addon is the only thing that makes doing the world quests bearable.
Thank you! I was in fact using such an addon, even though I wasn't using that functionality. Looking forward to not crashing anymore!
Is anyone having problems with premade groups in group finder. Nothing loads just a spinning circle that says searching.

edit: I'm using the in game group finder not an addon when this happens. Worked fine before this "fix"

Suggestion, when in a world quest area and the built in group finder is pulled up it list relevant quest to where you are located first to make them easy to quickly find.
Does every search require manual interaction? Can I have a addon search for a group in the background automatically while I do some fishing, have a notification popup saying it's found a match, and click a "Join Group" button and request to join the group?

For example, I'm searching for a specific key for a mythic +, no matches are found when I initially searched, so I use my addon to continue to search in the background for the group I want. 6 minutes later it finds a match, I click a button and sends a request for me to join the group. Will that functionality still be available, or will I need to manually refresh search each time?
Pathetic.
I understand the need for the change, but I will greatly miss the automated group-making. Please seek to accommodate such a zero-friction grouping method in the future.
04/27/2017 06:06 PMPosted by Heftybags
Is anyone having problems with premade groups in group finder. Nothing loads just a spinning circle that says searching.

edit: I'm using the in game group finder not an addon when this happens. Worked fine before this "fix"

Suggestion, when in a word quest area and the built in group finder is pulled up it list relevant quest to where you are located first to make them easy to quickly find.

I used the in-game group finder earlier today on a coupld alts to do the world boss on Broken Shore. It seemed to be fine, except of course the usual problem where half of the raid was phased to another shard.
Could this have possibly broken the Nighthold raid instance? My raid group is trying to get in Mythic Guldan progression and we seem to be getting input lag right at the spawn of the Trapper or at least around then. At the point of typing this, we're attempting to soft reset the instance and are finding this lag is carrying over into Dalaran as well.

(we believe we're on US-Chicago if that means anything)
Ya know Blizz, you could have cooperatively worked with those add-on authors before just outright breaking things.
So long Blizzard, and thanks for all the fish.
The auto grouping for world quests should just be part of the base game (with an option to disable it obviously). Though this is also an expansion that removed interface options for no good reason because it 'confused' players so I doubt we'd see something like that added.
04/27/2017 06:32 PMPosted by Toleenya
Ya know Blizz, you could have cooperatively worked with those add-on authors before just outright breaking things.

When something is causing server problems, fixing it first is the right way to go. Always.

Hopefully there will be some refinement of the changes, when time permits, as restricting searches to hardware events (rather than restricting them based on time and caching results) isn't really the best way to go. The use case of keeping a 'background' search going for a specific type of group is something that seems quite useful, and limits+caching would permit that.

But on the other hand, if you can't even do a non-elite quest on your own without joining groups automatically, I don't really have much sympathy for you.
While I applaud blizz for investigating and resolving the performance issues, I'm waiting with bated breath for WQGF author to update the addon. It really made doing most WQs orders of magnitude easier.
7 Months in and suddenly a useful addon somehow manages to cause your severs to crap themselves. First reaction? Break it.
lol .. since they changed the API .. the lag has been worse. Nobody is spread out anymore.