I feel bad for Unholy DKs...

General Discussion
We complain about RNG but then I saw this list from a reddit post showing RNG in every spec and Unholy's made me sad...

Death Knight

Unholy:

Chance of bonus AoE damage on Virulent Plague ticks
Chance to generate extra wounds (Affects Rotation)
Chance to generate extra wounds with pet abilities
Chance to pop extra wounds (Affects Rotation)
Chance to pop extra wounds increased (Legendary)
Chance to pop extra wounds with pet during Dark Transformation
Chance to refund runes with Scourge Strike (Affects Rotation)
Chance to increase rune regeneration speed (Affects Rotation)
Chance to make Death Coil free with AAs
Chance to proc Rune of the Fallen Crusader
Chance to summon The Shambler with attacks
Chance to increase Scourge Strike damage with Death Coil

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/69n5og
There are actually some people who enjoy the play style. I'll admit it's different and they tried to push unholy into more of a ghoulmaster role than the traditional rot theme they had going on

While the general premise of the mechanics of unholy are fun you have to accept irritating parts, many which are listed above.

Blizzard will never implement constant wound application and constant wound removal, they are too afraid of a spec going back to 121212. So your left with rng application (have that now) or rng removal (think castigator) and one side leaves you with empty runes the other side leaves you with empty wounds.

4 set nighthold really helped with the poor recourse gain from rng, but when unholy moves into t20 belt and ring will become more mandatory again.

I just don't understand why they took a spec which has received positive change and evolved into something with real spec identity from wotlk->wod and then just went in a completly different direction for legion.

Iv ultimately swapped back to rogue because it's just too frustrating trying to fight the mechanics of this spec that I don't enjoy.
05/07/2017 08:28 AMPosted by Zainoqt
There are actually some people who enjoy the play style. I'll admit it's different and they tried to push unholy into more of a ghoulmaster role than the traditional rot theme they had going on

While the general premise of the mechanics of unholy are fun you have to accept irritating parts, many which are listed above.

Blizzard will never implement constant wound application and constant wound removal, they are too afraid of a spec going back to 121212. So your left with rng application (have that now) or rng removal (think castigator) and one side leaves you with empty runes the other side leaves you with empty wounds.

4 set nighthold really helped with the poor recourse gain from rng, but when unholy moves into t20 belt and ring will become more mandatory again.

I just don't understand why they took a spec which has received positive change and evolved into something with real spec identity from wotlk->wod and then just went in a completly different direction for legion.

Iv ultimately swapped back to rogue because it's just too frustrating trying to fight the mechanics of this spec that I don't enjoy.

Oh yea the playstyle is fun but this rng on rng that affects your rotation so much and can mess it up randomly is a real pain.
I actually enjoy the randomness and chaos the spec can be at times. I just wish it did more damage when the rng was on your side.

Kinda like outlaw rogue. If you proc 6 buffs you do mega damage for 40+ seconds. With unholy if you get lucky with rng you might do the 3rd worst dps instead of dead last.
The rng is a pain, but at the same time it actually kind of does fit the class fantasy if you want to play devil's advocate. Disease isn't a point a to point b thing, theres mutations, flare ups, outbreaks, etc. it's actually kind of fitting that our class is based out around how much chaos could hypothetically be caused if we play our cards right in the situation. If we did a bit more damage that would be nice but you can't win everything.

In PVE you will be wasting everyone's time if you aren't in melee range at some point using festering strike to create the wounds for ST.

In PVP you can stand back and laugh just rotating between outbreak, death coil and epidemic (preferably with pandemic talent) and watch as everyone groups tighter and sits on the healers killing themselves faster.
Actually the spec is a whole hell of a lot of fun. People think it's a serious problem if you don't hit six zits in two festering strikes, but it's not a big deal because there's a lot you can do until your next festering strike that doesn't drop your dps.

I've been an unholy since the beginning and I'm totally satisfied with unholy right now. It's not quite as fun as festerblight from mop, but it's totally playable.