Recent Actions Against Win-Trading

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
We’ve recently taken action against a number of accounts involved in win-trading in Rated Battlegrounds. This is a clear violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Service, as well as the spirit of competitive play.

When we took these actions, we believed that the accounts being affected were used primarily by seller agencies, who exchange in-game wins for real-world currency, and not for normal gameplay, and so they were issued permanent closures. Once those actions were completed, we started hearing from players whose accounts had been affected but were not affiliated with a seller agency.

We then began an immediate re-investigation of all accounts. That investigation concluded that there were indeed some players caught in this action who should not have been hit with a permanent account closure. Those that were not involved with seller agencies but still found to be purposefully involved in win-trading have had their closures reduced to a suspension, with a duration fitting the severity the win-trading they participated in, and beginning on May 1st (the date we applied the initial closures). For some extremely minor offenses, that duration was short enough that it has already been lifted. Affected players should have received an email that indicates the corrected action.

We also discovered a small number of players whose accounts had been closed but had not engaged in any win-trading at all. We are deeply sorry to have punished those players incorrectly, and in addition to overturning their account closures, we have issued them with 30 days of additional game time as an apology.

We’d like to make it clear that we have fully identified the error that caused this issue to occur, and can be confident in saying that future actions do not make the same mistake. That said, we’d also like to remind players that win-trading in order to earn things like Honor, Artifact Power, or Achievements is still win-trading, and is subject to the same punishments as win-trading in order to gain rating.

Again, we apologize for the inaccuracies of our original actions. While we remain committed to upholding the integrity of rated play, we will take more care to ensure that the correct actions are taken in the future.
You guys rock! Thanks for cleaning up the community and helping those who were wrongfully banned!
Permanent account closures? I like the sound of that :)

For those who actually cheated of course. Much better than 6 months.
#FreeNemba
So, what about all the tickets that were put in that were responded with saying "Revewing the actions taken I can confirm that all actions taken were handled appropriately. The WoW license has been closed after the account was have advanced through exploitations. Unfortunately, regardless if a player knows or not, we will take the strongest action possibble. The action will be taken in accordance with our Terms of Use, etc, etc, etc",

Everyones tickets were closed, saying you looked into it, and found that they indeed were exploiters and you will no longer respond to their tickets.

You banned so many players accounts permanetly, insta-closed tickets with generic, "we exhausted all internal avenues and you indeed are a cheating POS", then turn around and say, "oh, we didn't actually look at your tickets or accounts after all, please take our sincere apology."
#FREENEMBA
05/05/2017 03:37 PMPosted by Alternity
#FreeNemba

HE DINDU NUFFIN, HE WAS A GOOD LOCK
#FreeNemba He dindu nuffin
05/05/2017 03:38 PMPosted by Rezlul
So, what about all the tickets that were put in that were responded with saying "Revewing the actions taken I can confirm that all actions taken were handled appropriately. The WoW license has been closed after the account was have advanced through exploitations. Unfortunately, regardless if a player knows or not, we will take the strongest action possibble. The action will be taken in accordance with our Terms of Use, etc, etc, etc",

Everyones tickets were closed, saying you looked into it, and found that they indeed were exploiters and you will no longer respond to their tickets.

You banned so many players accounts permanetly, insta-closed tickets with generic, "we exhausted all internal avenues and you indeed are a cheating POS", then turn around and say, "oh, we didn't actually look at your tickets or accounts after all, please take our sincere apology."

Go into ticket

Look up ban reason

See: Dev tool for finding win-traders found this player win traded. Ban should not be overturned.

GM upholds ban.

When a bunch of gms in their weekly meetings say 'Hey, we are getting a bunch of tickets from players saying they never pvped and got caught in this, or accidently were with win-traders etc'. Management decides to open investigation to determine if there is grounds to reverse any bans.;l

This is how businesses operate.
lol wasting time banning wintraders instead of fixing real issues like mythic+ gear availability.

jk
05/05/2017 03:49 PMPosted by Plouch
#FreeNemba

HE DINDU NUFFIN, HE WAS A GOOD LOCK

6/10 lock
is it safe to join pug groups for rated bg
05/05/2017 03:59 PMPosted by Schmeebs
When a bunch of gms in their weekly meetings say 'Hey, we are getting a bunch of tickets from players saying they never pvped and got caught in this, or accidently were with win-traders etc'. Management decides to open investigation to determine if there is grounds to reverse any bans.;l

This is how businesses operate.
Yep, pretty much this.

Between non-PvPers getting banned for win-trading and 12-year clean accounts suddenly banned for win-trading, these trends are what make the people actually capable of investigating on a deeper level aware that something might have actually gone wrong.

Except under very weird circumstances, no one customer is likely to be worth the time and money spent to investigate a wrong ban especially following a mass ban-wave when you also have a ton of idiots who think they're clever and can outsmart the GMs to get their well-deserved ban overturned.

And then you have people like that guy on MMO-Champion who is on a relentless crusade against Blizzard CS because they won't overturn his permaban that he's opened hundreds of tickets and many phone calls about. As long as people like him exist, the chances of getting the treatment people like him expect is next to none.

Fortunately, as with this case and many other similar widespread issues, it affects enough people that trends can be noticed, reported, and investigated.
I was not affected by this, but hadn't been touching RBGs since I heard of everything going down. I am thankful Blizzard has issued a statement, however, I think a notice should go out on the Launcher, or in-game, because:

http://i.imgur.com/daNyEWM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Geno10r.jpg

This is how it's been for days now. Everyone is very scared, and not everyone is going to see this. So it's okay to participate again? I'm still unsure if I want to risk it. But, right now, there are hardly any groups to join anyway, and this is at a pretty peak hour. I have NEVER saw it so empty.

This is Horde, so perhaps Alliance side is different. In any case, it's obvious everyone is very spooked and I think something other than a forum post is warranted to get people playing again.
#FreeNemba

Sorry I live under a rock, who is Nemba?
Thank you for investigating the issue of improperly banned players and clarifying the reasoning behind the action. While I was not affected, my confidence as a subscriber that I can continue to progress in the game has risen significantly. Please continue to investigate claims of wrongful bans.
05/05/2017 04:27 PMPosted by Tilra
#FreeNemba

Sorry I live under a rock, who is Nemba?

2018 and not knowing about Nemba
#FreeNemba
So we have win-traders trying to cheat the system with loopholes on one hand and then we have Blizzard giving very little effort on their part to not even bother to see who exactly they are banning and could care less only to say woops sorry we'll get right to fixing on that on the other hand. Looks like the trend that started in MoP is still going very strong. Goes to show how little the PvP community is valued in this game. Back to killing demons I suppose...