Anyone move with mouse only?

General Discussion
05/06/2017 07:49 PMPosted by Gwär
if you pvp or raid....you need to learn how to move with mouse and strafing. Never use both mouse buttons to run and turn, that's just suicide.

Then again i have seen youtubers in raids that still do clicking for their gaming. But if you are a turret class you can get away with clicking like a mage, lock in such.

Nothing beats wasd mouse turning for pvp when you need to stay behind the target at all times to avoid being hit while hitting them.

Thanks I'll experiment. I did notice running/turning with just the mouse had me arcing off a bit. So maybe ws qd for move and right-click mouse for steering. Others had ideas about freeing up the whole left hand for shooting off skills/spells and such, and others seem to do different things in different situations. Anyway, I shall experiment!
05/06/2017 05:41 PMPosted by Varián
Hi, I usually run around with wasd and strafe with the q and e, but am trying out movement with just the mouse by right click to steer/camera and hold both buttons to run the way I'm facing. It's a little weird, but wondering if I practice will I be more awesome once I get the hang of it, or is the wasd qe way still going to be more awesome.
I don't like moving with keys, it feels jerky; not smooth at all, with my mouse I can move easily in any direction. I use the mouse and spacebar only.
I use a combination of mouse and keyboard, whatever happens to be most efficient for moving at the time.

Most of the time that means I'm using my mouse. Almost always to turn.

But there are times when its just more efficient to hold down a single keyboard key while turning with the mouse, or because I'm scrolling the cursor across the screen to click on something.

I got accustomed to using a trackball & keyboard for movement with Quake 1 way back in the day playing a crapton of CTF back in the mid-90s. Any games that leave you stuck one way or the other feel weird, and clunky to me otherwise.
I move using either my ELECOM M-XT3URBK Mouse Wired Trackbal or the little thumb operated joystick on my Logitech g13 game controler.
Mostly mouse, camera control on right click and both left/right to run. Works great, but would love to figure out a way to incorporate strafe.

Wish that Razer would come out with a left handed version of the orb weaver.
I don't really pay attention, but i think i've been using my mouse to turn ever since i got a razer naga.

I don't have any reason to bring my right hand back over to the keyboard other than to type anymore.
My mouse has two extra buttons and I strafe with them so I can use WASD to bind more abilities
I was a keyboard turner from the BC expansion through Cataclysm. I felt like I was at the top of my game at the time but still was limited by not being fully keybound.

So I bought SW:ToR and decided to teach myself how to keybind and struggled for about a month before it became second nature.

So since MoP I have been a keybinder and you can just do more and react quicker. It's that simple.

I'd definitely rather have a very good WASD tank over a not so good keybinder. And I'd never begrudge anyone for how they play a video game but if all else is the same, the keybinding tank is just going to be better.

That said I quit raiding during Draenor but that is my $.02
I have to use the mouse. Especially in PVP the need to see around quickly is paramount. I do wonder about the long term effects on my hand/wrist from years of repetitive movement and depressing the mouse keys. Wish there was a viable alternative, like a brain implant. Lol
I move with both mouse buttons depressed. Is there any way to lock the camera distance and angle so that it doesn't change when I am moving with both mouse buttons? I would only want this locked when I was raiding... Any other time, I don't mind the camera changing angle while I am running around the open world.
I've used only my mouse forever. The only time it's a problem is if im PvP'ing on a healer since i need my mouse to target frames while moving.

L/R side buttons for strafing and middle click toggles autorun. Scroll wheel is jump.
What, you don't use click to move? (Is that option even still in game?)
Almost 100%, I use keyboard for strafing and jumping. I do wish my caps lock button and shift button were switched, because I can't really bind any shift modifiers because it's awkwardly far away and I end up just hitting caps on and off =/
08/09/2018 09:36 AMPosted by Sollaria
Almost 100%, I use keyboard for strafing and jumping. I do wish my caps lock button and shift button were switched, because I can't really bind any shift modifiers because it's awkwardly far away and I end up just hitting caps on and off =/

This is common with programmers. You can swap them with a registry edit, but it changes it for your whole computer. There are a few guides if you google it.
Not completely. I use the both L and R mouse buttons to move the way I'm facing but I strafe with A and D and move backwards with S. It works for me after years of doing it this way.
I use both, but only turn with the mouse, as I've bound A and D keys to other things. W and S are still forward and backward, as I do have several tanks, and being able to take a few steps backwards is essential. Strafing is still on Q and E, as well.

I need to be able to move independently from the mouse at times, as all my healing spells are mouseover macros, along with any dots, like shadow word:pain. As melee, it's not nearly as important to have two independent modes of movement.

Also, I have a gaming mouse that has 6 keys on the side. I have alt and shift bound to the mouse, so just using 1-4, R, and F gives me 18 different abilities with barely stretching my hand.

Big cooldowns I only click, like wardrums/hero, cause I don't want them to accidentally go off.
I used something called Sharp keys I think to change caps lock to shift. It got rid of caps lock and put shift in a better place for me.
Cool, thanks guys!
Hi, I usually run around with wasd and strafe with the q and e, but am trying out movement with just the mouse by right click to steer/camera and hold both buttons to run the way I'm facing. It's a little weird, but wondering if I practice will I be more awesome once I get the hang of it, or is the wasd qe way still going to be more awesome.

Before this game I never played video games and didn't know about wasd, so I moved with my mouse. It works very well and I have never had an issue. However, I cannot tank because I cannot strafe, something I am told is important as a tank. :D

I use both actually.

• I keep W and S for forward/backward.
  • I have a 5 button mouse - the thumb keys are for strafing left/right
  • Turning is entirely mouse based so A and D are free for skills

I'm not really sure why I keep W & S. Sometimes there's a conflict with the mouse i guess.