Class Fantasy

General Discussion
Why can a frost mage not cast a single fire spell? I mean he's still a mage right?

Didn't frost mages used to have fire blast and arcane explosion? What happened to the class fantasy?

Discuss.
Mages are notoriously forgetful due to the have vast amounts of magical knowledge they must learn.
Fire mage. Frost mage. It makes sense.
Rip frostfire bolt (?)

Idk man my mages never make it past level 30.
Didn't they just specifically comment on this exact frost/fire Mage thing in saying maybe they went a little too far in culling for the sake of class fantasy?

Personally though I'm happy to be rid of casting shadow spells as a holy priest, except for mind control which they'll have to pry from my cold dead hands.
05/04/2017 11:57 AMPosted by Zqkwytrbsmvg
Fire mage. Frost mage. It makes sense.

Regardless if they're a "fire" mage or a "frost" mage... they're both still mages, why would their spells be limited to just those schools. I mean...they both went to hogwartz right?

Just trying to make a fair point here.
05/04/2017 11:52 AMPosted by Yolofatty
Why can a frost mage not cast a single fire spell? I mean he's still a mage right?
An Archmage even, the most powerful of wizards, masters of spellcasting and veritable fonts of frost, fire and arcane knowledge.

Just not at the same time.
05/04/2017 12:01 PMPosted by Khurgun
05/04/2017 11:52 AMPosted by Yolofatty
An Archmage even, the most powerful of wizards, masters of spellcasting and veritable fonts of frost, fire and arcane knowledge.

Is that why they gutted a survival hunter spec that was always a ranged spec? The class fantasy of hunter always being ranged with a bow/gun, here take 2 hander, your'e now a melee character........
05/04/2017 12:03 PMPosted by Yolofatty
... An Archmage even, the most powerful of wizards, masters of spellcasting and veritable fonts of frost, fire and arcane knowledge.

Is that why they gutted a survival hunter spec that was always a ranged spec? The class fantasy of hunter always being ranged with a bow/gun, here take 2 hander, your'e now a melee character........

Inb4 They make arcane a melee mage spec.
What things do you guys believe destroyed your class fantasy for you?
05/04/2017 12:10 PMPosted by Yolofatty

Survival spec. No, not the change from range to melee. The name needs to go away. When it was ranged and how it is now, neither fit the name "Survival". The artifact belongs to a feral druid more than this spec. SV has nothing at all to do with nature.

Survival is someone who has all the tools they possibly need in any situation. It's like camping in an RV.

There's a lot of situational spells they've removed over the years - I'm looking at you void swap!

And then I can see legitimate claims on the PvP side that reducing classes to pretty much one school of magic is too brutal for spell locks. Having a diverse spellbook rewards players who can adjust to pressure like that, etc.
I actually am fine with Survival being a melee spec, it was clever, unexpected and for the most part works as one aspect of a "Hunter" fantasy, the tracker/stalker. Marks and BM I don't have strong feelings one way or the other, I just play whatever has a knockback so I can kill people with fall damage.

One thing I've noticed with other classes that I play is that in Legion it's more about "spec fantasy", where as a Rogue you're either a sick shadow ninja or a pirate. Before you had a lot of freedom under that big "Rogue" umbrella, maybe you were an assassin or a thug/bruiser or a spy or what have you. Now Combat spec is way too deep into the YAR HAR pirate aesthetic and there's no wiggle room for personal fantasy/RP.
I didn't like how they gave druids the affinity talents. It never had to be a thing if they didn't take baseline abilities from the druid class, like a resto druid going and shredding a target and putting up rake. Now we have resto druids who can go bearform and be a live lord
I actually think it fits more now with class fantasy than ever. In any fantasy setting or game, a mage focus's on one school at a time, hence Frost casting only Frost spells.

WIZARDS can cast from all schools.

Thats primarily what sets the two apart.
05/04/2017 12:03 PMPosted by Yolofatty
... An Archmage even, the most powerful of wizards, masters of spellcasting and veritable fonts of frost, fire and arcane knowledge.

I miss having a staff or polearm and gun as a hunter, Hunters used to have melee attacks too, Survival was pretty good for getting in peoples faces before changes, and legion.
05/04/2017 12:20 PMPosted by Khurgun
where as a Rogue you're either a sick shadow ninja or a pirate.

I still see Sin as well assassin and not ninja. Outlaw feels sorta cowboy a bit. Just need a perm pistol, cowboy with quickdraw, and gambling dice.

05/04/2017 12:20 PMPosted by Khurgun
the tracker/stalker.

If only it was named either one...

Pirates...I went from being an awesome shadow assassin with a hidden manor to a stupid sewer dwelling pirate