Why any race should be any class.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 Next
Pandaren Death Knight

I will have the Ebon Blade invade your class hall next if this becomes a thing.
05/06/2017 01:11 PMPosted by Shado
My wings. *hisses*

In all seriousness though, warlocks should have never had meta in the first place, considering it was a demon hunter thing in WC3, and that the lore for warlocks getting it was essentially "lol, my meta now".

I can absolutely understand the frustration of a spec being dramatically changed though, and I understand the salt at losing a core aspect of one of your specs, because while it shouldn't have been given in the first place, it was and that made it feel like it was "your special thing", and that it was robbed from you (specially with how Blizzard just kinda... left warlocks as smouldering messes afterwards).

[/quote]

Here's the thing though. The Warlock Metamorphosis and Demon Hunter Metamorphosis are completely different in how they're acquired and the form taken. One is an infusion of enough Fel energy to take the form of an energy-infused silhouette of a demon, the other is outright becoming one by unleashing the demon within. They had a Warlock quest line explaining how Warlocks stole the powers of some of the greatest threats out there to use for their own ends against the Burning Legion. Kanrethad's methods of turning into a demon were far different than Illidan's. We didn't have your demonic transformation, we had our own knockoff version of it.

I'm very well aware Metamorphosis belongs to Demon Hunters. However, our transformation and yours were distinct enough to have been two different abilities altogether aside from the "changing into a demon" aspect. Given the cancerous element known as "Demonic Empowerment" that we were given and denied summoning demons greater than creatures we could already summon (imps, felstalkers, and slightly modified observer), it very much feels like Warlocks were intentionally kept restrained when it came to designing them so that they wouldn't take the spotlight away from the class they were using to sell the expansion.

I'm happy that you guys exist and that you're getting to enjoy your Class Fantasy™ but the fact it came at the expense of my own leaves me rather bitter and pessimistic.

A Warlock transformation should look more like Gul'dan than what it was before DH were in the game.
There is no reason why any race couldn't learn to be any class, none of the classes are race restricted lore wise.

You can even explain any race being a druid by having them be trained inside the emerald dream where time stands still. So even a short lived human could spend a thousand years in the emerald dream learning druidism and only have a day pass by in the real world.
Ok I want some one to give a reason why any certain race should not be any certain class .

There is one stipulation you can't use the word lore or anything dealing with lore in your response.
then everyone would play blood elves and the other races would die out lol
I'm sure it's already been said but: Druids. As hilarious as it would be to see Druid Dwarfs, Gnomes, Goblins, Pandas, Undead- Actually Undead Druids would be awesome. I think that's one thing that really doesn't need to be explored. I thought it was incredibly silly to make Worgens Druids.. "It's a Human! That turns into a wolf! That turns into a.. bear? and a cat? and a owlbeast.. and deer/crow/walrus.."

And lore, I guess
05/06/2017 09:51 AMPosted by Loncis
It certainly does mean they're unnatural. Rotting corpses do not get up and start walking around.

See the thing with using the word "unnatrual" means that it's something which is not of this world and as such is impossible i.e. unnatrual

If by chance rotting corpses do start to get up and start walking around, well by definition they stop being unnatrual...because they just occured...in nature...they are no longer unnatrual because they are possible and are also present.
Posted by Loncis
It certainly does mean they're unnatural. Rotting corpses do not get up and start walking around.

Maybe unnatural in the real world but this is WoW so anything the Devs can imagine is possible.
05/06/2017 06:00 AMPosted by Britanny
So I was thinking
found the problem.
Lore and lack of diversity

Lore reason aside, it would be boring if all races could use all the classes. Would be nice and all, but gives you no choice since you can do it all. That's my opinion anyway so im not the be all and end all of it
What you guys call lore I call racist stereotyping. This is akin to saying that there can never be a white men who can dance or that every Irishman must be a drunk.

As long as there is not a reason that a race can't be a specific class based on warcraft physics then there is no reason for these restrictions. And the closest I can think of here is undead paladins. However, there is already an undead paladin in lore.

Historically there has never been a culture were every person of a culture has blindly follows restrictions. Even when breaking from tradition is likely to result in that individuals death.

Another example that illustrates the insanity of the "lore" argument is that we as a society hold murder as being wrong and punish and in some cases kill murders, yet we still see a rather significant part of the population that has been party to murder. So yes night elves may teach their children that warlock are evil and may even kill any elven warlocks. But I would be surprised if there was not a small group of warlocks that existed in secret.
Stuff like Draenei warlocks for example wouldn't make sense at all.
I agree. Class restrictions are idiotic as they currently stand. Cough orc mage/cow pally/GOBLIN SHAMAN

So yeah, we're three fifths of the way to total nonsense so why not take the bloody plunge. Give me my draenei warlocks
05/08/2017 01:34 AMPosted by Azuremi

Agree, such a Draenei would not have the Gift of the Naaru racial ability probably because the Naaru wouldn't trust someone who uses the fel.
I think undead pally would be cool. I have the corrupted ashbringer this seems fitting.
05/08/2017 01:47 AMPosted by Deatardris
05/08/2017 01:34 AMPosted by Azuremi

Agree, such a Draenei would not have the Gift of the Naaru racial ability probably because the Naaru wouldn't trust someone who uses the fel.

Except for special boy illidan apparently.

Anyways, someone pretty much hit the nail on the head for me already.

05/06/2017 07:59 AMPosted by Targon

Second because there are still combinations that make no sense. Orcs don't have priests as spiritual leaders, they have Shaman. Draenei Warlocks go against the entire point of the race to begin with. Non-elven Demon Hunters don't make much sense, at least unless the Illidari change recruiting standards. Races that can't use the Light, or a suitable derivative, won't be Paladins.

I'm ok with more options, but not to opening the floodgates to any combination. There needs to be method to the madness at some point.

More options thanks to developments in the world (the council of three hammers opening up warlocks and shaman for dwarves) are neat and great when explained how some event changed society for one race or another, but some combinations really just don't make sense and it would turn into madness with undead bear druids and twirling gnome demon hunters.
05/06/2017 09:51 AMPosted by Loncis

See the thing with using the word "unnatrual" means that it's something which is not of this world and as such is impossible i.e. unnatrual.

No, that is not what "unnatural" means. Game over for you.

Unnatural does not mean, "Can't possibly exist at all." Polyester is not natural. It's a synthetic. That doesn't mean polyester can't exist at all.
05/06/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Qingzhao
05/06/2017 12:10 PMPosted by Loncis

No one ever said it was. Nothing anyone of any class chooses to do that would otherwise happen on its own could be described as natural.

We're discussing whether the Undead themselves are natural. And they are not. A magical (and malevolent) being chooses to reanimate a corpse that, left on its own, would decompose and integrate into the soil.

You think you have a point. You don't. You're simply failing to follow the discussion.

I showed perfectly how flawed your argument is. If your argument was true nobody could be a druid.

Undead are not unnatural, they are natural beings brought back to life through unnatural means. Instead of making bad arguments based solely on your own external beliefs, provide in universe proof that being raised means they cannot connect with nature.

No, you didn't. You failed massively. Argumentation and logic are not your strong suits. You're deluding yourself.

Undead are not natural beings. They are corpses that were once beings. Once a living thing dies, it's not a being. It is simply a mass of organic matter that will decompose left to its own devices. So, no, you're wrong. A corpse is not a being. Since Undead are sentient and capable of independent action, they are beings. But not natural.

You failed. Embarrassingly. Watching you try to claim that Undead are natural beings raised by unnatural means is all kinds of cringe. I actually feel sorry for you.

Again, dead bodies are not beings. They were once beings; but once dead they are simply a complex mass of organic material that, left to its own devices, will simply decompose.

Nothing in the natural order creates Undead. Corpses do not reanimate of their own accord. The magic required to reanimate a corpse does not do so its own volition. The creation of Undead requires a malevolent intellect with a particular skillset manipulating magic to accomplish a particular end.

Like I said before, Personal World Destroyers do not grow on trees or reproduce like animals. It requires a particular intellect with a particular skillset to bring Personal World Destroyers into being after assembling the necessary materials.

Just like Undead. They do not simply grow on trees, and as Sylvanas explained to Garrosh, they cannot procreate. It requires a particular intellect with a particular skillset to create Undead after assembling the necessary materials. In this case, the raw material is corpses, possibly attaching parts from other corpses with thread.

And no, no one said that everything a Druid does has to be "natural." If you can't support your point without putting words into a people's mouths, or pretending they hold positions that they don't have (in other words, erecting strawmen arguments), you've already lost the game.

However, those races that can be Druids are natural beings. They presumably formed in the usual way, according to lore. No one had to assemble dead bodies and use magic to create Night Elves, Tauren, Trolls or even Worgen.

Interestingly enough, your arguments which fail to support your contention that Undead are natural beings actually work quite well to support Worgen Druids. Worgen, unlike Undead, are natural beings. They are simply humans (natural beings) afflicted with an unnatural curse.

Corpses are not humans. They once were, but as a corpse, it's simply a mass of complex organic matter that will behave no differently than any other mass of organic matter. It will simply start to rot.
05/08/2017 01:06 AMPosted by Matalïn
What you guys call lore I call racist stereotyping. This is akin to saying that there can never be a white men who can dance or that every Irishman must be a drunk.

Ah, yes. Nothing like the self-righteous indignation approach.

If you were so against racist stereotyping, you wouldn't be playing WoW at all.

Think about it. If a Night Elf encounters a Tauren, they already know they're mortal enemies. They don't need to know a single thing about each other, their lives, their hopes, their dreams. They could even be the same class.

But Night Elves are Alliance; Tauren are Horde. Therefore mortal enemies. Neither race is capable of switching factions, or even saying, "Screw the infantile bickering between the Alliance and Horde; I'm a neutral party. I want nothing to do with either faction."
I'd like to see them steal an idea from FFXIV. That would be to allow a single character to be every class.