this is silly

General Discussion
as a new balance druid (level 20) I have a portal stone that will take me to MoonGlade and, as it says, use it again and it will return you to approximately the same area you left. The key there is 'approximately". I used it the first time to get back and ended up in TimberMaw. baaaack to Moonglade , try again: this time I am sent to the middle of Felwood. Not good. Back to Moonglade, back to Felwood.
I managed to get back to my home port by using the regular hearthstone, but Im curious if anyone else has found themselves scattered hither and yon with the portal stone?
No damage done, but I suspect a true newbie would be totally demoralized by either location...
05/10/2017 10:13 AMPosted by Maudey
approximately

Approximate doesn't mean exact.
I too believe that during the 6th expansion its just silly that we still do not have playable Ogres.

Good post OP +1
It's supposed to take you to the graveyard closest to where you ported from, i would submit a bug report if it isn't doing that.
05/10/2017 10:18 AMPosted by Rickflairwoo
I too believe that during the 6th expansion its just silly that we still do not have playable Ogres.

Good post OP +1

ayyyyyyy look who's back

As for OP, it should take you to the closest graveyard from your point of travel back, but who knows. I know for sure it works well with the monk's teleporting thing.
as a new balance druid (level 20) I have a portal stone that will take me to MoonGlade and, as it says, use it again and it will return you to approximately the same area you left. The key there is 'approximately". I used it the first time to get back and ended up in TimberMaw. baaaack to Moonglade , try again: this time I am sent to the middle of Felwood. Not good. Back to Moonglade, back to Felwood.
I managed to get back to my home port by using the regular hearthstone, but Im curious if anyone else has found themselves scattered hither and yon with the portal stone?
No damage done, but I suspect a true newbie would be totally demoralized by either location...

It should always take you to the nearest graveyard from where you originated from. The graveyards in older zones can be quite a distance apart. That is how it worked for me over 12 years.
05/10/2017 10:17 AMPosted by Jadekitsune
approximately

Woah this is a huge revelation for me
It's really a physics problem. Measure and compare the circumference of the portal the the bears butt. Divide that by Pi (because it sounds like pie, and pie is why their butts are so big) and throw a dart at your map and that will be approximately where you land.
What if an NPC moth had meanwhile strayed to the exact same spot you ported from originally?

Do you want Mothman? Cause that's how you get Mothman!
I would say landing in the middle of Felwood when I started out in Echo Isles is quite a stretch...and no graveyard, just at the bottom of one of the Elven areas in Felwood. I wasn't looking for pinpoint accuracy, here, just the hopes that I might get a tad closer to home than Felwood. lol
At least I didnt get transported into the Great Sea to die of fatigue...
It should just return you to a graveyard nearest to your location in a zone before you went to Moonglade.

Your Moonglade portal will be changed into the Dreamwalk button at 98-100 (depending on when you get to legion content). Works just fine.
I believe it used to take you back to exactly where you were before the Gnomes got a hold of it.

They just love to tinker.
oh good. we can blame it on the gnomes.
The first time I tried it, IN Moonglade, it took me to Timbermaw Hold. Im pretty sure Timbermaw Hold has no graveyard. The second time I tried it (after porting back to Moonglade) it took me to Felwood proper.

I may go back and try it again, see what I can find, lol.

(7 downvotes?? for a question)?

Liger, read this. I started in Echo Isles, the starting zone for Horde troll druids. I used the portal, just to see what would happen. It took me to Moonglade. When I decided to return, it flang me into Timbermaw Hold. If you look on a map, you will see there's a pretty fair distance between the two. The second time I tried it, it landed me in Felwood, about half way up. No graveyards.

I wasn't complaining, I was just saying, it struck me funny...
approximately

It worries me that you can get upvotes when the OP clearly states that their level 20 Druid ended up in Timbermaw and then in Felwood.

There's approximate and then there's wrong zone with everything able to murder you just by existing.

OP - I want to say it may be a glitch with the starting area. Echo Isles is troll, correct? There may have been something weird with quest phasing, coding, whatever that has to do with that area. That would be my guess and I doubt it will be an ongoing issue.

I am surprised that it didn't take you to the default Horde graveyard, which while annoying, you wouldn't have had to worry.

I haven't played my Druid in a long time but I can say that the Monk one has some hinky things in it if I use the teleport in a phased area. The vast majority of the time though it simply dumps me at the nearest graveyard from when I left.
05/10/2017 11:54 AMPosted by Maudey
Liger, read this. I started in Echo Isles, the starting zone for Horde druids. I used the portal, just to see what would happen. It took me to Moonglade. When I decided to return, it flang me into Timbermaw Hold. If you look on a map, you will see there's a pretty fair distance between the two. The second time I tried it, it landed me in Felwood, about half way up. No graveyards.
This sounds like a bug. You should put in a report. You can report bugs directly in game using the help button. I certainly hope the excursion didn't kill your little druid!
05/10/2017 12:12 PMPosted by Libriai

It worries me that you can get upvotes when the OP clearly states that their level 20 Druid ended up in Timbermaw and then in Felwood.

There's approximate and then there's wrong zone with everything able to murder you just by existing.

OP - I want to say it may be a glitch with the starting area. Echo Isles is troll, correct? There may have been something weird with quest phasing, coding, whatever that has to do with that area. That would be my guess and I doubt it will be an ongoing issue.

I am surprised that it didn't take you to the default Horde graveyard, which while annoying, you wouldn't have had to worry.

I haven't played my Druid in a long time but I can say that the Monk one has some hinky things in it if I use the teleport in a phased area. The vast majority of the time though it simply dumps me at the nearest graveyard from when I left.

Hey, it worries me too. I didnt linger, but Felwood, as long as I don't get into the elvish areas is okay. It's pretty neutral on the roads. As is Timbermaw Hold. And yeah, Troll druid. I really wasn't worried. If someone had taken me out I'd have ended up in a graveyard (there you go, wait long enough and you get where you need to go, lol)

I've done quests before that are marked complete, but when I get back the quest giver is gone, and only his ? remains. After three tries I figger he retired.
05/10/2017 10:18 AMPosted by Rickflairwoo

Good post OP +1

Found the Rickflair post
05/10/2017 12:30 PMPosted by Maudey
I've done quests before that are marked complete, but when I get back the quest giver is gone, and only his ? remains. After three tries I figger he retired.

Have you tried typing /reload ? I've had quest givers get glitchy over the years and that normally clears up things. Otherwise, if you can clearly see the ? on the map, have it checked as complete in log and you are standing on top of where the turn in is supposed to be I would submit a bug report.

Thinking about your situation with the teleport, I wonder if it originally bugged out due to a coding error for Echo Isles. Then, to add insult to injury it rebounded you at Timbermaw from CRZ as that's right between the two zones. It would make the most sense seeing as far as I know the Furblogs don't have a cemetery going on in there. (At least we don't start out as hated anymore with them, that would have been...painful).

Then, at that point when you used the teleport and went back to Moonglade it correctly put you as being in Felwood thus returning you to a graveyard in the zone closest to where you were at. Probably at that point I personally would have gone back to the Druid's one more time to see if I could instead fly out of there.

Like I said probably a weird rare bug that should be turned in but not something likely to happen again. It does make a player not want to push the button next time though.
I gave up on reload, on ever seeing the man again. I did put in a bug report which just sort of sat there...sigh...

I hearthed back to Echo Isles and tried it again, and by golly this time it worked. Im thinking that maybe I had wandered too close to the timbermaw area in my stravaging about at MoonGlade and it misread the coords.

Sounds as good as anything. And this time, by golly i did get back, and in a for-real cemetery.

Trouble is, I knew which Druid encampment I was near (but not in) and they are hostile to Horde. I did hate to take a chance of wandering around (although this is truly a great way to find a graveyard, yep) and getting nailed by animals on the road. a lvl 20 druid doesnt have a lot of oomph yet.

Nice post, and thank you for taking the time with this.