Why are people grinding AP?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
05/16/2017 05:59 PMPosted by Mcrevis
05/16/2017 02:20 PMPosted by Dallas
My question is targeted towards people with more than 48ish traits in their main spec. Before that it is absolutely worth the grind.

So, for people with close to 52 traits, why are you grinding AP?

My reasons for confusion:

A). After 48 traits you have already maxed the "best" traits and are really digging for further DPS/HPS/Tanky inprovements.

B). You will easily attain Concordance on all three specs by the time ToS drops anyway.

C). You will never max your weapon. Period.

D). Beyond Concordance new traits scale exponentially away from you.

E). 36 tokens today = 6 tokens a month from now = 1 token two months from now given AK scaling.

I'm not saying AP is useless; I'm just "playing the game" and taking AP as it comes while pursuing other things. I.e., Weekly mythic 10, weekly clear of NH Normal/Heroic, daily emmisaries, all available Legionfall quests.

This seems like more than enough. I have 49 traits in main spec and 42 in the others.

What I don't understand is this: running all WQ w/AP, running all mythic +0 weekly and repeatedly running higher keys simply for AP. My guildies are running these and I don't understand why given the mathematics behind AP/AK post 7.2. It just seems like there have to be better things to do with your time....

What am I missing?

I want to get concordance relatively soon because I want to see how I can parse in NH with it before TOS is released.

Only reason why I made any effort to farm AP. Hope to have it this weekend.

I made the effort to get Concordance on my main spec early. I'm nearing in on getting it on my second spec right now, and I can say, for DPS at least, the trait is so weak it won't make a noticeable difference in your parses.

I gained 0.75% DPS from it. Best person I've simmed gained 1.5%. That sort of margin is pretty much on the level of the difference between making one significant mistake with your rotation. It's much less than the benefits you'd see by stacking your raid for the fight with a really strong comp for speed kills or something like that. It's also well below the difference between being lucky with being targeted with boss mechanics that lower a players DPS and being unlucky with it.

I really wanted Concordance to be good, I rushed it, I was within the first 250 players in the US according WoWProgress, but man, it's bad. Literally, I see the main benefit as the increase in health. Someone who works hard at it might have 5-10% more health for ToS Progression than somone who doesn't. That's significant.

With how traits increase damage for healers and tanks, well, that'll be huge for them too. I can see a tank (who plays a strong DPS tank spec) who goes all out all expansion doing perhaps as much DPS as a regular DPS player by the time the last raid tier rolls around.
I'm about halfway to trait 51 - as I only play one spec all the AP I get is towards this spec. However I'm not grinding, I'm just doing normal dailies and guild raids.

It just comes naturally as you play the game.
Haven't been grinding at all and about to hit 50 tonight. Why must you try and put down others who have more time to play or who optimize their time while playing better than you?
I'm at 49 on my rogue.. That 2000 agility is worth it.. But I'm really not grinding. I do my dailies.. That is about it.
I hit Concordance on my main Unholy weapon last night.

I'm starting to grind it out on my off-spec dps (which I may be converting to main anyway) in Frost.

Is it worth it? Worth it to me, so what's it to you?

Once I have concordance on both dps specs, I will stop grinding. After that the gains are so minimal I won't really care and consider that my "burn out" point.

I don't think I will bother with Blood, since I never tank. Maybe I will though, I don't know.
I am grinding AP, because I do BGs all the time, and I get it for doing them.

So basically, I do EXACTLY what I did before, but I get AP for BGs now.

Those of you who don't like AP may want to come to realize that you get it for just playing the game.

So basically, I grind AP because I like to play the game lol.....
05/16/2017 05:45 PMPosted by Balvenie
Artifact proves Legion is a pain in the butt for anyone who has more than 3 toons, and who does not enjoy pve.

AP Gains in PvP are insane. Probably the most efficient AP gains are from PvP since 7.2.
So, for people with close to 52 traits, why are you grinding AP?

Define grinding.

I just do my WQ ap things, maybe a dungeon or two with the occasional order hall mission thrown in.
I don't grind. Even if I raided, just doing board missions and the biggest AP available from WQs will get you Concordance before ToS drops. Having it now is for people trying Mythic Gul'dan, not casuals.
05/16/2017 04:30 PMPosted by Beraht

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wxgFKQnRYG7XNDd9#fight=12 it matters.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wxgFKQnRYG7XNDd9#fight=12&type=deaths

^ Stop failing instead. You didn't even come close to enrage.

that's why condordance and traits / gear exist in the first place, to allow for more mistakes and make dps check easier and what not.
05/16/2017 02:38 PMPosted by Faung
Nearly at 55 traits. Wouldnt say ive "farmed" it at all. I got it passively by doin my ap wqs, which i would do anyways, and from doing all the content that I can each week that improves my bad luck protection for legendaries. So I guess you could say I am farming legendaries and in doing so have farmed up a lot of ap.

But would you still do those WQ's and other content if they didn't reward any AP?
I enjoy the rewards from world quests.
Getting AP is a neat side effect.

But, now that I'm at 52, I will probably dial back a little bit and work on getting some alts to 52 for class-specific pets and stuff.

I agree with Dliver - 52/Concordance was the "big goal" - now I feel like I have permission to relax a bit.

Fixed that for you. No one can honestly say doing the same quests every single day is enjoyable and fun, if you truly think it is, you have a very very very sad life.
05/16/2017 07:30 PMPosted by Kittymeowss
that's why condordance and traits / gear exist in the first place, to allow for more mistakes and make dps check easier and what not.

I believe in better play. It's not a DPS check when you're just losing people to mechanics, it's a mechanic check. More DPS doesn't beat mechanics, just get better.
What am I missing?

the fact that blizzard keeps screwing ap up? they still want it to feel Like a valid and desirable reward, so between that and locking power behind it people are naturally going to nofun grind. Short of physically stopping people you cannot.
My main spec is at 50 traits, without any focused grinding.

As to why players might grind, well, some players like to have a goal to work towards, and they find it satisfying when they achieve that goal.

That's also why some players are annoyed by the endless nature of AP, because they feel that they can never attain that sense of having completed the task.

But something like the Concordance trait can be a goal to push towards.
Because... the Pokemon theme song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYeHPFR3f0
I want Concordance ASAP. The logs are always running.

It's not too much work any way though. I do my emissary every day, maybe 4-5 extra WQs a day if there are any that give more than 3 mil, and 3 or so M+ a week.
05/16/2017 07:47 PMPosted by Beraht
05/16/2017 07:30 PMPosted by Kittymeowss

I believe in better play. It's not a DPS check when you're just losing people to mechanics, it's a mechanic check. More DPS doesn't beat mechanics, just get better.

???? some mechanics just don't even happen if you have more dps. elisande rings for example. star augur ice nova etc... If you push dps fast enough you get less of certain mechanics throughout fights. concordance is a safety net for when you fail mechanics
05/16/2017 08:17 PMPosted by Kittymeowss
???? some mechanics just don't even happen if you have more dps. elisande rings for example. star augur ice nova etc... If you push dps fast enough you get less of certain mechanics throughout fights. concordance is a safety net for when you fail mechanics

The fact you killed it in the very same night without anyone getting more gear/traits means you basically failed the fight. If it was really a DPS issue, you wouldn't have had the kill the same night, a whole minute shorter.

At 12 minutes on gul'dan, you're about 300 miles away from Enrage. It's not a DPS check at that point, you failed a critical mechanic at the last minute, which you shouldn't have.

You'd wipe just the same missing mechanics regardless of your traits/gear. That's not a DPS check. No one needs concordance right now.
05/16/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Dallas
05/16/2017 02:22 PMPosted by Rastlin
I am pushing to get that final golden trait.

2,000 IQ makes it worth the grind.

Are you aware it's like a proc with a 25% uptime?

You are doing all that work for 500 of a stat.

My main stat is worth about 25dps/point, so this "golden" is worth about 12500 dps when I currently do about 900k.

Again, I don't understand the rush for 1.25% DPS gain.

And there we have it folks. A level 22 doesn't understand why people push for more dps. When you get a little big bigger, little boy, you can play in the parts of the game outside of wailing caverns.