Compendium: Volumes I-VI not working

Bug Report
TL-DR: You have to buy 2 AK30 compendiums in order to get AK30 on a character that has not already learned AK26. Use one compendium, complete the quest [Using Lost Knowledge] from your artifact work order NPC, then use a second compendium. You do not have to do anything outside of your class order hall, including the broken shore to get AK30 with this method, but you have to waste 1500 resources because the item is bugged.

I just got another character to 110 and copied her over to the PTR for some testing. I mailed my new 110 draenei shaman 2 AK30 compendiums. When I talk to Gorma Windspeaker in my order hall, she has the quest [Speaking to the Wind], which asks me to start a research work order. Also she has some dialog that says "Why can't I research artifact knowledge? We can only obtain Artifact Knowledge for you as quickly as you can bring me the resources required to produce them". I have 7k order hall resources on this character. I start 1 work order after taking her quest (her previous dialog changes to let me start a work order), and complete the quest. A second quest shows up, [Knowledge is Power] which asks for 500 resources in exchange for an artifact research note, and the "Why can't I research artifact knowledge" dialog is back. I take the quest and complete it, and take the artifact research note from my previous work order, and learn them both.

I then tried using my AK30 compendium, and it did not grant any AK (note that no work orders were pending.) I used a second one and it still did not grant my any AK. I went back to my trainer and found that she had a new quest for me. Before using my compendium, she had the quest [Furthering Knowledge], which asks for 500 resources in exchange for a note. Now she has [Using Lost Knowledge], which asks me to start yet another research order. I submit one and complete the quest, the research says it will take 3 days to complete. I have no more quests from her but I can start a second research work order.

I then use my 3'rd AK30 compendium and was properly granted AK29, and my 1 work order was instantly completed, granting me AK30. I then went back and deleted my character and started over, I was able to get AK30 using just 2 compendiums.

I then did one final test with a fresh copy. I mailed 2 more compendiums over, and used one immediately without doing any quests from my artifact work order NPC. It granted me 0AK but gave me the quest [Using Lost Knowledge]. After submitting a work order for that quest, I used my second AK30 compendium and got granted AK properly. This way you'll only need to use 500 order hall resources instead of 1500 on your new 110.

EDIT: IGNORE ALL INFO BELOW THIS LINE, IT IS OLD OUTDATED INFO THAT IS INCORRECT.
This is from the original post

TL:DL is: On a new 110, make sure you complete the 1 or 2 quests from your artifact knowledge vendor in the class hall (you will go from AK0 to AK2), or the AK30+ compendium will get used and not grant you any AK.

I purchased 3 compendiums for my alts, one that was at AK27, and another 2 at AK1. I was able to use it fine on the AK27 character, but when I used it on my 2 AK1 characters, the item got used up while my Artifact Knowledge stayed at 1.

UPDATE: You can use the AK30 compendium, but you MUST complete the quest from the AK vendor on your alt first which requires starting a work order for one, or the compendium will disappear and not give you any AK.
The only time I've heard of this issue happening is when there were already scrolls in the player's inventory to level up artifact knowledge.

The book takes those into consideration before increasing your Artifact level. with that being said, if you don't have any research notes laying around and you burned a book with no result, I would hit up support. They should be able to verify your AK and the item being used.

From there, they will likely restore your Compendium to be used again.
I do not have any notes in my bags, since I only researched the first level and used it (hence my AK1). Did a little bit of looking, and I think it's because in order to train AK26+ you have to complete the quest on the broken shore from Khadgard. But I can't go and take the quest from Khadgard because you have to have AK25 in order to take that quest, and the compendium is supposed to take me to 30 and fails because I never did that quest.

The archivist in my order hall says "Why can't I research my Artifact Knowledge? Archmage Khadgard has a lead on how we can continue our artifact knowledge research. Seek him out at Deliverance Point on the Broken Shore."
Having a similar problem. My priest was AK 25 but I had not completed the broken shore quest line to get AK 26. I bought the AK 1-30 (Volume 6) book for her and used it still prior to completing the broken shore quest line. Not only did it not get me to AK 30, but even after completing the broken shore opening scenario Khadgar does not even offer quest for the AK 26 book. I've tried logging in and out and zoning in and out of the broken shore.
Deleted Post
I have noticed that on my Paladin who was AK 25, I used it before completing the Broken Shore chain and it did not move me to AK 30. As with Feili I didn't receive it after I completed the chain to continue researching AK.
Same here, had AK 5 on my Rogue used an Compendium I-VI and didn't gain any AK.
Same issue, just had this happen with my rogue. My paladin has a surplus of AK, I can always make another book, but I'm not going to just burn books until we know what's going on and why these items are have no effect yet still getting burned up on use.
Same here can't get to AK30 after hitting AK35 on my monk.
I'm having the same issue. Just got AK35 on Priest. Bought the book and sent it to a fresh 110 alt that hasn't trained any AK, but it had no effect.
Same problem here, bought the compendium for my paladin and his artifact knowledge stayed at 2
So there doesn't appear to be a consistent response to this. A guildie got his compendium refunded while my rogue just got pushed to AK 30. In either case, make a ticket to get it addressed.
I spent 4k resources on two toons thinking I made some sort of mistake this is broken!!!!!!!
Just happened to me, lost two books this way.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20754935569#post-3

You need to do the quest before Volume 6 can be used. So, poor design, but in theory you should be able to buy Volume 5, use it, go out and do the quest, then use Volume 6 to get you up to 30.

I would assume this is an oversight and a hotfix will take place soon, but in the meantime that's what you'll wanna do.
How can I go about creating the appropriate ticket to get my Order Hall resources refunded because of this?
05/12/2017 05:29 PMPosted by Nhuvasarim
How can I go about creating the appropriate ticket to get my Order Hall resources refunded because of this?
I would imagine they will restore the Volume 6 Compendium instead of refunding your Resources, but I'd probably open one up under the Loot Drop Problem category.
Blizzard, please fix this crap. You had plenty of PTR testing.

Here's the problem cleanly stated:

• If I buy a book that unlocks AK30, and give it to a toon that has AK1, nothing happens.
  • If I buy a book that unlocks AK30, and give it to a toon that has AK26, it boosts to AK30.
  • Now that my main is over AK35, I can no longer grant new alts ANY AK WHATSOEVER.
    05/12/2017 05:24 PMPosted by Inerchi
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20754935569#post-3

You need to do the quest before Volume 6 can be used. So, poor design, but in theory you should be able to buy Volume 5, use it, go out and do the quest, then use Volume 6 to get you up to 30.

I would assume this is an oversight and a hotfix will take place soon, but in the meantime that's what you'll wanna do.

Unlocked Broken Shore, but because I clicked the book which didn't work - now I can't get the quest for AK 26 on Broken Shore from Khadgar.
    05/12/2017 05:31 PMPosted by Inerchi
    05/12/2017 05:29 PMPosted by Nhuvasarim
    I would imagine they will restore the Volume 6 Compendium instead of refunding your Resources, but I'd probably open one up under the Loot Drop Problem category.

That's what I did, submitted a ticket under item restoration and they mailed me another compendium. See my updated OP for a workaround to be able to use Compendium 6 with new characters. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20754865538 if you want to see the conversation I had with a GM.