Protection Paladin PvP Guide (7.1.5 to 7.2)

Paladin
Hello once again! I have returned from the weirdest hiatus that has not yet ended.

This time I'll be changing a few talents and explain a bit more on why the change and everything due to the Protection Paladin changes and it's slight damage nerf it received!

In this guide, I'll be showing what talents you should be using, examples of them (and explaining how to use them to maximum efficiency), and try to give you an idea of a few rotations that I use (Without burst and with it), including stats for WPvP.

WARNING: I am not doing very well irl once again, allergies and sickness have kicked in. Bear with me, please. I will continue to edit this with more knowledge (including help from other paladins that I deem very good and such, including fixing this if it becomes a wall of messy text). I will also update it as I get new info as the Expansions go along, so I apologize if I necro it via updating the post from now on.

Talents:

Level 15: Holy Shield.
Explanation: Holy Shield BLOCKS SPELLS, Increases your block chance by 15%, and additionally deals a set amount of damage back to your attacker based on your attack power (Strength) and every successful block.. Or when there are dots on you. This is very useful during PvP, as Blessed Hammer only reduces the next auto attack damage from the next enemy auto-attack by 15%. That doesn't reduce all damage.

..You could take Consecrated Hammer, but it isn't very good long-term unless nobody is attacking you and you can AoE (Area of Effect attack) to your heart's content without the fear of getting attacked. In my opinion, I don't like it due to it's weirdness. You can do the same thing and force other players into your consecration and have the same effect as Consecrated Hammer... Just better.

Level 30: Bastion of Light OR Crusader's Judgment.
Explanation: Bastion of Light gives back 3 charges of one of your core mitigating abilities: Shield of the Righteous. Crusader's Judgment gives 2 charges of Judgment and your Grand Crusader Proc grants a charge of judgment if it's on CD.

Bastion of Light: Use only if you run out of charges for your SoTR.
Reminder: It has a 3 minute cool-down. Use it wisely.

Crusader's Judgment: You can use both charges to possibly gain a charge of SoTR back right away if you're missing a charge. You will have a 90% uptime to actually use SoTR, provided you have enough haste (above 24%).

Level 45: Fist of Justice.
Explanation: Your judgment reduces the cooldown on Hammer of Justice by 10 seconds. HoJ is a 1 minute cool-down. You can HoJ every 4 or 5 Judgments when using this. When in PvP, it's great to have a quick stun every 4-5 judgments.

Note: This may be nerfed due to Crusader's Judgment having too much synergy with this and you can get your stun back even faster.

Level 60: Blessing of Spellwarding, Cavalier, Retribution Aura.
Explanation:

Blessing of Spellwarding gives immunity to pesky spellcasters for a good 8 seconds and has a reduced cooldown of 3 minutes from 5 minutes (5 min CD due to the original spell: Blessing of Protection). Has good synergy with the Honor talent Sacred Duty.

Cavalier gives you 2 charges of Divine Steed. This is worth it to catch up to other players that are either trying to run away from you or kite you. Has good synergy with the honor talent Steed of Glory.

Retribution Aura applies to the paladin themself, also applying to anyone (tank or not) in your party and now reflects 1,060 holy damage in PvP and in PvE it reflects 1.7k holy damage. Useful against melee comps.

Level 75: Knight Templar.
Explanation: Knight Templar reduces the cool-down on Divine Steed by 50% (that's a 45 second cool-down reduced to 22.5 seconds, which means you can use this ability more often).
This is also why I said for a level 60 talent to take Cavalier.
Sure, getting both charges back with these two take about 45 seconds, but that's 2 charges in 45 seconds compared to 2 charges every 1 minute and 30 seconds without Knight Templar.

Level 90: Judgment of Light or Consecrated Ground.
Explanation: Judgment of Light procs on every attack on the judged enemy, healing the ally attacking that enemy for an estimate of 1.2k+ holy.
Consecrated ground however heals depending on your gear and main-stat and level. It's proc is every 0.9 seconds which procs as fast as it's damaging counter-part (the original version of Consecration) AND it slows enemy movement by 50%.

Level 100: Seraphim.
Explanation: It increases your Crit, Haste, Mastery and Versatility by an absurd amount (5,500 if you want stat numbers and if you want percentages, it increases those stats by 10%-15%) at the cost of 2 charges of your Shield of the Righteous. You can use this when you have one charge of SoTR, too, but the duration is shorter. (1 charge = 8 seconds & 2 charges = 16 seconds)

Don't fret, this is where I tell you that Bastion of Light and Seraphim have very good synergy as talents.

Before I tell you the rotation, keep in mind that your rotation can and will change since we have very little buttons to press and continue using while we're waiting for our spells to come off of a cool-down, so you may have to face-roll until you can pull off a normal rotation again.

Also, I will be using short-term references to spells. You should be able to connect the dots to what spells are what once you look at your spell book. Another reminder: Always keep consecration up and stay in it. Don't play their game, have them play yours since you get a bonus to some of your spells by being in it.

Rotation without using your burst: Consecration > SoTR > Avenger's Shield > SoTR > Judgment > SoTR > HoTR x2.

Rotation with your burst: Consecration > Avenging Wrath > Seraphim > SoTR > Bastion of Light > SoTR > Avenger's Shield > SoTR > Judgment > SoTR > HoTR x2.

New Rotation with Crusader's Judgment: Consecration > SoTR > Judgment > SoTR > Avenger's Shield > SoTR > Judgment > HoTR x2

New Rotation while using burst: Consecration > Seraphim > Avenging Wrath > SoTR > Judgment > SoTR > Avenger's Shield > SoTR > Judgment > HoTR x2

Note: Use Eye of Tyr when someone is hitting you pretty hard, or when there's a big group on you. Eye of Tyr reduces damage they deal to you by 25% and deals damage. It's an AoE mitigation ability with truthguard, it's reach works like Blinding Light: 360 degrees.

Also use Light of the Protector, it heals you instantly for 27% of your missing health (Increased while Standing in Consecration and with Truthguard's Artifact trait: Scatter the Shadows).

All the rotations do seem very similar, but they are different in their own ways once used. The rotation with the burst can be pulled off within 4.7 seconds since SoTR does not share a global cool-down with your other spells. Also, the reason why you use your SoTR right after a different spell is because it's one of your hardest hitting abilities and it's best if you used it accordingly. Using the New Rotation can be done within 3 seconds but now that you actually have a good uptime on using SoTR, you can constantly have something to use if you're waiting for Judgment or HoTR to get off CD.

Additional information: Don't fret about your level 110 honor talents at a low level. Only worry about them at max level, as they prove a lot of usefulness in PvP.

Honor talents:

Gladiator's Medallion (2 min CD, better than 3 minute CD).

Relentless Assault or Inquisition (R.A. Gives a 3% damage increase per player attacking you. Stacks up to 5 times. Inquisiton now replaces Hand of Reckoning: With a reduced range, but causes the debuff called Intimidated/Intimidation to your enemy, increasing all of their damage taken by 5%, refreshing upon your melee attacks and stacks up to 5 times per unique player that hits that target.)

Side note: I recommend Relentless Assault for BGs and Inquisition solely for Arenas. You can use Inquisition for BGs, too.

Shield of Virtue (This is your silencing ability for Avenger's Shield. Usable spell. Always have it on the ready if you're playing against caster groups that tend to stack up. It silences ALL players within 8 yards of the primary target.)

Pure of Heart or Luminescence (PoH cleanses your allies diseases and poisons within 15 yards of you upon use and it's a shorter cooldown as opposed to the 8 second single target version of cleanse toxins. Luminescence heals allies within 20 yards are healed for 30% of the amount when you are healed.)

Hallowed Ground (Clears all Snares and Suppresses them (giving immunity to Snares) as long as you stand in your consecration)

Steed of Glory (Gives an additional 4 second duration to Divine steed, making you invulnerable to Crowd Control effects like snares, and knocks-back enemy players if you go through them.)

Stat priority for WPvP: Haste > Versatility = Haste > Mastery < Crit. It's a bit hard to come by haste in this patch, so if you get anything with haste at a higher item level, it's a better choice. If you don't have anything with Haste/Versatility or Haste/Mastery and you are forced to wear Haste/Crit, it's fine. (For those new guys out there that don't know what versatility does, it increases your damage done, healing done and gives you damage reduction from attacks)

If you're wondering "What about instanced PvP?".. Don't ask about it. We all get a buff called "Principles of War", giving us predetermined stats according to our ilvl and removes Versatility from tanks, leaving us with base stats such as Stamina/Strength/Crit/Mastery/Haste.

If you want more Protection Paladin info from me and you want to have a bit of fun with some training dummies or some duels to teach other protection paladins that are interested in PvP, add my battle-tag (Paragøn#1596) and I'll see if I can fit something into my calendar and we could share ideas and theories.

Hope to see you on the battlefield!
-Paragon

Also, here's Liminara's guide on how to prot paladin and more explanations on spells and what they do, including their base cooldowns: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20747294843

I think mine's just more robust and clunkier than their's, but hey, if I can deal a lot of damage by doing it my way, so be it. Plus, the stat priority that Liminara and I say are both entirely different.

You can use whichever guide that appeals to you.

The original guide that I had made for this expansion will be linked below in the P.S. section, I figured nothing needed to be edited except a few spells, but it is still kinda outdated and I'd rather not necro it.

If you guys do want me to continue with this guide, Support this thread and let's try to get it stickied for the Prot Paladins that PvP! All variations of Prot Paladins for PvP are welcomed here and are welcome to share ideas and theories (including Theorycraftings).

I will also try my best to keep this thread updated as soon as possible and I will reply within an hour to a day or two.

Let's make this the best thread for PvP Protection Paladins!

P.S. Can someone please lock my original thread since I'll be working on this one instead: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749025919#post-1

Thank you in advance, and thank YOU guys for giving this a read!

(Little side note: If you're just going to be here to troll, don't bother coming to this thread. I'd like to keep this thread troll-free and without any flamers here. If you actually have Constructive criticism and would like to help with the thread and add a joke or two to the criticism, by all means go for it. Other than that, if you have nothing nice to say (I.E. Trolling, get out of here).
Thank you so much @Paragøn for all your hard work. These guides are written extremely well and I really appreciate you keeping up with em and formatting it so nicely. Some of the best I've seen!

Looking forward to trying some of this out.
05/16/2017 08:26 PMPosted by Narkazokh
Thank you so much @Paragøn for all your hard work. These guides are written extremely well and I really appreciate you keeping up with em and formatting it so nicely. Some of the best I've seen!

Looking forward to trying some of this out.

Anytime! If you're having troubles, just keep practicing! It goes for those that are new to Prot paladin tanking and doing PvP as a tank in general!

Just keep in mind: There are others out there that can hand your !@# to you on a Silver, Ornate platter with a side of salt to have you put on that platter.

That's what a lot of new prot paladins tend to do; They think they're better than everyone until they meet someone 10x better than them at the class and spec.
Step 1:

Change specialization to Retribution or Holy

Step 2:

Don't ever think about bringing such obnoxious playstyles into PVP again.
05/17/2017 02:40 AMPosted by Felryn
Step 1:

Change specialization to Retribution or Holy

Step 2:

Don't ever think about bringing such obnoxious playstyles into PVP again.

You're a rogue, get outta this thread! Shoo, obnoxious, stealth, combat resetting class! Unless you have a paladin up the sleeves of your character rosters, You're just saying that because you can't kill a prot paladin at all :P <3

All joking aside, yes, I know Prot is somehow obnoxious depending on how it's played. Mine's just super annoying to deal with considering I usually never die if there isn't any dampening.

On a serious note, I brought back this thread because I've been actually getting Bnet requests from my original PvP Prot paladin thread because they don't find holy or ret very appealing anymore and it feels either way too brainless or just not their style anymore.

If you have some constructive critisism for the class or the guide, I do not mind that you stay here and joke a little bit. Other than that, have a good day :P
I'm surprised no one is interested in playing Protection Paladin for PvP besides a very small amount.

Still hoping this thread can get decent questions from other players!
Nice guide.
Just one question, how to manage Shield of the Righteous?
Mine is always on cd and if i want to play with Seraphim, there will be a big blank in my rotation waiting for 2 charges of SotR =(

I hope one day prot paladin will have some similar spells like the crusader in d3. Big mobility and hit slow but like a truck!
05/18/2017 10:31 PMPosted by Eeme
Mine is always on cd and if i want to play with Seraphim, there will be a big blank in my rotation waiting for 2 charges of SotR =(

I hope one day prot paladin will have some similar spells like the crusader in d3. Big mobility and hit slow but like a truck!

First answer: Refer back to one of the two talent choices for helping with SoTR downtime: Either Bastion of Light or Crusader's Judgment. Edited for this part: Try to space out your SoTRs if you aren't messing with Seraphim. Every judgment casted reduces it's cooldown by 3 seconds (4 if critted I think).

Second answer: Prot paladin has /some/ similar abilities like the Crusader from D3: Divine Steed = Steed from D3 (pair it up with the honor talent Steed of glory for PvP and you're unstoppable in most cases), Consecration has a talent that makes it like the crusader's from D3 and depending on how well geared you are, you can technically hit like a freight train.
Youre

05/18/2017 10:50 PMPosted by Paragøn
05/18/2017 10:31 PMPosted by Eeme

First answer: Refer back to one of the two talent choices for helping with SoTR downtime: Either Bastion of Light or Crusader's Judgment. Edited for this part: Try to space out your SoTRs if you aren't messing with Seraphim. Every judgment casted reduces it's cooldown by 3 seconds (4 if critted I think).

Second answer: Prot paladin has /some/ similar abilities like the Crusader from D3: Divine Steed = Steed from D3 (pair it up with the honor talent Steed of glory for PvP and you're unstoppable in most cases), Consecration has a talent that makes it like the crusader's from D3 and depending on how well geared you are, you can technically hit like a freight train.

Youre right.
But i mean i want to see:
- falling sword (i really wish we will have that spell one day)
- heavens fury
- slash or swipe attack instead of HotR

It would be so awesome
05/18/2017 11:09 PMPosted by Eeme
Youre right.
But i mean i want to see:
- falling sword (i really wish we will have that spell one day)
- heavens fury
- slash or swipe attack instead of HotR

It would be so awesome

It would be awesome to have or see on some occasions.

Only problem with Slash or Swipe attack to replace Hammer of the Righteous is that they already added: -Blessed Hammer to replace HotR via talent selection. Technically we have slash, it's our haste percentage with auto-attack and we're just using it without any runes and it's single-target to maximize damage ;)

Falling Sword, I'd like to see. There's already a reversed version as Ret and it comes out from the ground. I forgot what it was called..

Heaven's Fury... Wouldn't that be Overpowered since huge projectiles are coming out of the sky (Giant beams of light that cause damage?)? PLUS wouldn't it cause frame-rate issues if you were to drop it on someone? Only 2 out of the 3 ideas sound decent to me in a technical and a bit of a logical stand-point.