Pretty sure I'm sticking with WoW

General Discussion
05/22/2017 03:38 PMPosted by Mandrel
I have too much time invested in this game to leave. And this still feels the most "D&D" to me. I've survived Panda and Legion so far which have been the low points. I'm here for the long haul.

omfg panda was by far the best expansion!!!
05/22/2017 03:42 PMPosted by Dagher
Every other MMO I've played has been trash IMO. That being said, I felt like WoD was trash too and I was very close to not giving Legion a try.

Legion has a lot of faults, but I'm enjoying myself. As long as future expansions keep at least the same level of quality (although I really hope they do better...) I'll probably continue playing.

This so much.

The biggest thing keeping WoW afloat, is that the competition is absolutely AWFUL, nigh unplayable.

Wow has all the basics right. Medieval setting, elves and stuff, low PC requirements, and POLISH. Lots and lots of polish.

But that's it. There's a million things that would make a better game, but nobody's done it. Probably because making an MMO is insanely expensive.
I'm praying for Pantheon to be decent. It has some very awesome designers and developers, most being the people who started this whole MMORPG industry.

They're listening to the players, they care a lot about the game.

Unlike these people they have on WoW.
05/22/2017 03:51 PMPosted by Soultoxin
World of Diablo MMO

That would be pretty awesome, at least imo
I heard about Wildstar, found out 17 devs that were devs for Blizz decided to leave and work on that game for that company. It looked interesting but I never played it.

I think its funny how some MMOs start out subscription based and then 6 months later they go f2p.

Yet Blizzard has been a subscription based game for 12 years and still going lol
05/22/2017 05:40 PMPosted by Necrophobia
I heard about Wildstar, found out 17 devs that were devs for Blizz decided to leave and work on that game for that company. It looked interesting but I never played it.

I think its funny how some MMOs start out subscription based and then 6 months later they go f2p.

Yet Blizzard has been a subscription based game for 12 years and still going lol

Wildstar's big mistake was that on launch, 1. raiding required an extremely difficult attunement chain requiring gold ratings in every dungeon ( this was arguably harder than the raids themselves) 2. 40 man raiding. You can have one of those things, but both is gonna be a failure. They pulled back on both (raids went to 20m and the attunements were heavily nerfed) but it was too little too late by that point.

That said, I think people (both players and devs) need to realize that WoW is an outlier in its own genre. No subscription MMORPG before or after has had the sub numbers WoW had at its peak -- it wasn't just a game, it was a pretty big cultural experience/fad for a while there, especially early on when every single game on the market didn't have online multiplayer mode. Modern MMORPGs can't expect to have the numbers WoW had in its past -- not even WoW itself. That was a one-time experience, I think. But smaller, niche MMORPGs can be successful even with a much smaller sub base; they just have to be designed with that smaller, niche audience in mind.
05/22/2017 05:54 PMPosted by Honorata
05/22/2017 05:40 PMPosted by Necrophobia

Wildstar's big mistake was that on launch, 1. raiding required an extremely difficult attunement chain requiring gold ratings in every dungeon ( this was arguably harder than the raids themselves) 2. 40 man raiding. You can have one of those things, but both is gonna be a failure. They pulled back on both (raids went to 20m and the attunements were heavily nerfed) but it was too little too late by that point.

That said, I think people (both players and devs) need to realize that WoW is an outlier in its own genre. No subscription MMORPG before or after has had the sub numbers WoW had at its peak -- it wasn't just a game, it was a pretty big cultural experience/fad for a while there, especially early on when every single game on the market didn't have online multiplayer mode. Modern MMORPGs can't expect to have the numbers WoW had in its past -- not even WoW itself. That was a one-time experience, I think. But smaller, niche MMORPGs can be successful even with a much smaller sub base; they just have to be designed with that smaller, niche audience in mind.

Plus I think most people who play MMOs have played WoW and like it and so they try something else and it's not as "easy" or "casual friendly" as WoW and so they are turned off by it, whereas maybe if they never tried WoW they wouldn't mind a game like Wildstar.

Interesting though
Hoping Crowfall, Pantheon, or Ashes of Creation do well to get me out of WoW for something new for more than a month, other than that... Best MMO out there. I've played several.
05/22/2017 03:31 PMPosted by Necrophobia
I've tried other MMOs but I always come back "home" to WoW. There's just something about this game that keeps me coming back.

Sunk cost fallacy?
05/22/2017 08:15 PMPosted by Yonbi
05/22/2017 03:31 PMPosted by Necrophobia
I've tried other MMOs but I always come back "home" to WoW. There's just something about this game that keeps me coming back.

Sunk cost fallacy?

What?
I've been pretty much the same way. I've played a lot of different MMO's but I always come back to WoW. Some games may do certain aspects better like combat in Tera or housing in Wildstar, but WoW is still by far the best overall MMO for me.
Wildstar's big mistake was that on launch

Are you forgetting the EP grind for the extra traits and talents?

It was actually a predecessor to the current AP system and it was pretty universally hated once folks calculated out how long it would take to complete.

The irony is - Wildstar has fixed a lot of those initial launch problems and could easily give WoW a run for the money, but unfortunately population issues will keep that game as a foot-note in mmo history.

oW is an outlier in its own genre. No subscription MMORPG before or after has had the sub numbers WoW had at its peak

Don't forget timing. The mmo market was no where near as saturated then as it is now. I don't think WoW would be remotely as successful if it launched today with as many MMOs as there are.
@Yonbi I actually totally forgot EP somehow. (And I agree that Wildstar post-tweaks turned out to be actually a really enjoyable game.)

But yeah, I think your two points actually bring up another, related point, which is that due to when WoW was released, and what its competition was at the time, it had time to grow and become polished. But any new MMORPG is going to be compared to WoW, and most brand new brand new MMO aren't going to really look all that great when they're still in the early "ironing out the tweaks" stages and being compared to over a decade of WoW refining itself.
These posts always gets to me. It sets in that one day all of the servers will be permanently shut down.
And then, maybe, just maybe, I'll see what this whole 'going outside' deal is all about.
Out of all the other MMO's i've played(Lotro,Swtor,ESO,FFXIV) there's only one that I actually enjoyed enough to sub longer than a month and that's FFXIV, I usually always come back to wow just because it's what I know best kinda thing. I really enjoy FF so i've recently resubbed and started playing that again while maintaining my wow sub with gold. It's a win win in my books :)
It definitely has its ups and downs, and I have quit for periods of time, but for the most part I've been playing this game for 10 years now.... I started in spring of 2007 during TBC

The only other MMO I played was SWTOR because I was on the "wow is dying" train during cata.... after playing SWTOR for a couple weeks I uninstalled that terd and went back to wow with a new appreciation....

I took the last month off (because 7.2 is garbage) and got myself a nintendo switch and have been playing zelda. That game is easily the best game I've ever played with one exception: staying relevant over time. I'm just about done with everything with the game, and it's only been just over 3 weeks... and that's it, game over.

Wow may not always produce content that I'm excited about, but there is always NEW content coming out....

As far as other MMOS, at this point wow is the biggest, most polished one around... it would be nearly impossible for a new mmo to come out tomorrow and be nearly as big with as much content as wow...

Love it or hate it, wow is the undisputed king of MMOS
05/23/2017 03:37 AMPosted by Atellus
got myself a nintendo switch and have been playing zelda. That game is easily the best game I've ever played

I haven't played that one yet but my fav is Ocarina of time :)
I would still be playing Asheron's Call over WoW but January they closed shop, made me really upset, all that work and time gone. Just memories and screenshots.

I realized WoW one day will be the same
People I have met over the years is the ONLY reason i even waste time on this crap game anymore. If Blizzard would just make an app like the desktop app that allowed chatting with btag people, I would gladly uninstall this game and never look back. I would say that a lot of people are probably still on here for the same or similar reasons as well. Sure, the game has had several expansions and changes throughout the years, but in the end it's still the same exact formula it was 12 years ago, the only differences with expansions is not needed class and talent changes and new scenery, outside of that it's still "level to max, grind dungeons for gear, grind raids for gear rinse and repeat"

I also don't understand the mindset of people on here thinking OMG WoW only good MMO, must keep playing it, how about do something else or explore real life, you only have a limited time alive on this planet, wasting it away on games will most likely bite you in the !@# as you get older and realize how much of your life you have threw away on something pointless.
05/22/2017 03:40 PMPosted by Regg
05/22/2017 03:35 PMPosted by Keemstar
This game is trash.

SWTOR for life <3

Out of curiosity, if you're dead set on quitting and never coming back, what's keeping you playing and commenting on the forums instead of just playing SWTOR?

You forgot to /drop mic