Heard Sub was legendary dependent

Rogue
I've got a little bit of a history with the rogue class. Mained a combat swords rogue back in TBC and played rogue again for a bit in WoD mostly as combat as well. I tried Sub bc it's ST damage was considered good but never really grasped it or felt that I was really playing it well. So I made a rogue trial last night and sat on the target dummy for the better part of an hour probably just trying to get the spec down and after a while it finally "clicked" and I have to say Sub has a nice groove to it that I really enjoy.

Swapped to Sin to give it a shot and it did seem to perform better with less effort, though I realize comparing DPS between specs on a level 100 in 640 greens doesn't garner much merit. But logically it would seem that would be the spec to go. I didn't try outlaw bc I tried it at the start of Legion on my horde rogue and at it's core it still felt the same as combat and I'm just tired of that spec for now tbh.

Plus as the title states I've read that sub requires, or at least greatly benefits from having certain legendaries. I'm wondering if going sub right off the bat will ultimately hinder me in PvE like the little thoughts in the back of my head keep telling me. I'm just excited to that I'm beginning to understand the spec now and it makes me want to play it, at least as my initial focus.

I'm not really planning to get into much cutting edge content. I'll probably be content just running with a heroic raiding guild eventually and maybe do some of the easier mythic bosses so it probably doesn't matter in the end for that level of play, but the min/max gremlin that lives in my head won't shut his stupid face. xD

Preesh for the read.
I don't pve much so I don't have the answer others could give you.
However
Having.. I think.. All the BiS legendarys you notice huge changes in your dps.
The rotation with boots is sooo smooth.
And the shoulders are hilariously strong with vanish and the sprint vanish proc.
The wrists+NH trinket you seemingly have shadowblades up 50% of the fight

Idk how much BiS matters outside of mythic raiding. However I notice.. In what casual PvE AP grinding I do.. You can go from middle of the pack to topping the charts simply by equipping certain legendarys
Kind of, I think rogue over all is.

Rogues in my guild went from a stable 500-600 to about 700-900 just by getting their boots and shoulder combo.

my rogue @893 ilvl (as sub) does about 500-600 ST sims about 580-590, I only have leggy cape and crafted boots on him so nothing really impressive leggy wise.

if I plug in the shoulders asnd boots DPS jumps like crazy, but that's the same for ret as well (cape and belt) only class I think isn;t that way would be warrior since its based on a trinket off gul dan.

(Ignore the typos im doing this from mobile.)
Thanks for the responses!

I'm sure every spec gets significant boosts when they get a legendary, especially a good one. I just seemed to hear about it more with sub than the other two specs. Made me apprehensive since I know my luck's track record so to speak.
The thing is the boots for sub make the rotation fluid. Many legendaries give huge damage, but without the boots, sub feels like they are missing something like a talent or trait to let them do what they need to do. You can survive without them, but once you get the boots you realize what you were missing out on.
Is it bad enough to where you would advise against someone from playing it as their main spec right off the bat?
If you enjoy playing sub, I would just go for it but with changes in upcoming patch, they seem to solves the chunky rotation and energy issue.

Regardless there always going to be bis build so you may as well just roll with it. If you happen to get multiple spec legendaries like ring/belt, you would be able to switch between to sin/sub and have your loot set to sub.
The ptr changes to enveloping shadows and master of shadows make the boots feel less mandatory, but they are still very strong. The shoulders, even though flickering shadows is getting changed, are still very good. I think that sub is overall going to be less legendary dependent due to the nature of their energy regen in 7.2.5, but it will still be more work than sin to pull high dps.

That said, play what you like, especially if you aren't going to be progressing high end mythic raiding where 3% dps does matter. I can shred sin rogues to pieces with either sub or outlaw because I've put in time to get good legendaries and perfect my rotation. I think in legion more than ever classes are very balanced dps wise, save for a couple potential outliers like frost mage right now on live, but they're changing a lot anyways.
This might not help you much, but I don't think there's a spec that isn't legendary dependent. All 3 rogue specs are legendary dependent, however I'd say sub is moreso than the other two, that'll change in 7.2.5 however.
05/29/2017 01:56 AMPosted by Worgandonor
This might not help you much, but I don't think there's a spec that isn't legendary dependent. All 3 rogue specs are legendary dependent, however I'd say sub is moreso than the other two, that'll change in 7.2.5 however.

There are several specs that are not specific legendary dependant. Affliction only gets like 30-40k between wis and bis. They can wear two utilities and yolo. Rogue is the biggest offender now that BM was fixed in 7.2.5.
Rogues scale well generally and sub in particular. So, legendaries make a huge difference for us.
Sub will be far less legendary dependent in 7.2.5, but

05/28/2017 09:38 AMPosted by Harkas
Swapped to Sin to give it a shot and it did seem to perform better with less effort

will probably still remain the case in that same patch.