How do casual players afford anything?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I'm not being facetious - I genuinely want to know, because I'm struggling big time.

I know I need to stock up on flasks, runes, food and other raid/mythic+ recommended consumables but I don't understand how anyone who doesn't have a farming toon, or an extremely generous guild affords any of this stuff.

Going on youtube to search "How to make WoW gold in Legion" results in hundreds of get-rich-quick videos which 90% of the time either involve intense hours or grinding, or learning university level macro economics to play the auction house.

What am I missing here/ I usually have no more than 2,000 gold in my bag at one time and a mere five stack of the spec appropriate flask is like 5,000 gold!

Edit: And no, I have no interest in buying WoW tokens.
05/19/2017 03:42 AMPosted by Melentiá
I'm not being facetious - I genuinely want to know, because I'm struggling big time.

I know I need to stock up on flasks, runes, food and other raid/mythic+ recommended consumables but I don't understand how anyone who doesn't have a farming toon, or an extremely generous guild affords any of this stuff.

Going on youtube to search "How to make WoW gold in Legion" results in hundreds of get-rich-quick videos which 90% of the time either involve intense hours or grinding, or learning university level macro economics to play the auction house.

What am I missing here/ I usually have no more than 2,000 gold in my bag at one time and a mere five stack of the spec appropriate flask is like 5,000 gold!

Solo old raids, get enchanting DE/Sell everything, and tank heroics everytime a satchel pops. Made ~20k alone today just selling shards/getting satchels and selling the Augment runes from the satchels. Quite easy if you stay on it. World quests also, use bloods to buy stuff from the vendor to sell on the AH etc.
If you wanna make gold you are going to have to work for it as in grinding herbs for flasks or mining for gems to sell there is no easy way really except tokens no muss no fuss just a lil patience waiting to sell
We don't need all that stuff :P
casual players wont buy flasks, pre pots, augments, enchants, gems, crafted leggos, crafted gear , food. i assume the mostly spend their minimum wage gold earnings on battle pets.
in all seriousness , a 10 minute 25 man heroic firelands run will net you like 2-3k depending on what drops and some stuff you can sell on the AH for money also,( ala volcano spike). or farm heroics for sachel drops and BOE drops that you can sell on the AH to lvl 101 players for like 20-800k depending on the quality, stats and sockets. or pick up professions to make your own flasks and sell the extras from the teir 3 prock. thats how i make money on the side, only a little bit of farming to get the mats to make 20 of my flask and sell the 4-5 extras i get on the side for some extra scratch to expand my bonkers collection.

Edit:
on a side note, enchanting and gems make the most gold right now. at least here on the sargeras server cluster.
I have two jobs so I buy WoW tokens :)

A lot of casuals players don't raid seriously. Raiding high end is not a casual type of player activity.

You are only raiding heroic and haven't killed gul'dan yet - you aren't in a serious guild raiding guild anyway - you really don't need all that - a couple of flasks and potions and you are good to go.
You just have to put a little effort into it. I find it helps to get to know your economy. I admit understanding what's what in such a varied game economy can be a daunting challenge to newcomers, but it's not that hard. Learn a few tricks and tips and build from there.

For instance, a simple tip would be that bacon is used for the best feast in the game, so raiding guilds need a lot of it. Bacon, compared to other resources, is limited to a certain number per character per day based on world quests. On our realm, Stormrage bacon goes for 200g a slice right now, and that will go up (the new raid is drawing near, when it launches demand will increase dramatically).

A single world quest can reward 5-15 bacon. That's 1-3k for a couple minutes getting to the WQ and killing the target of the WQ. There's at least one bacon quest a day, sometimes a couple.

Things like that, super simple, but a lot of people don't know about them.

Build up a small repertoire of money makers like the above tip, do order hall gold missions, farm old Cata 25H raids, do the invasions when they are up (for every 4 of them you'll get enough nethershards for a nethershard essence, which is worth 8k+)... there's lots of stuff everyone can do to make gold that are super simple.
05/19/2017 03:54 AMPosted by Trippi

I think that's really the answer. I know people who don't go beyond 5 mans and don't push mythic+ keys. They don't need all the min/max stuff that a lot of us do. They may wish to do some of it for completionist sake, but when you can grab 880+ gear from shards, 5 man content isn't really all that difficult.

A lot of the more casual players we see here on the forums are more frustrated with facing that their professions have their high rank recipes in mythic dungeons and the like. Or intimidated that they might have to dive into a raid to get flight.

We have a rather skewed view of how people play the game at times. And sometimes we don't recognize that there are many people playing in very different ways.
casual players wont buy flasks, pre pots, augments, enchants, gems, crafted leggos, crafted gear , food. i assume the mostly spend their minimum wage earnings on battle pets.

Incorrect, I think most of us will enchant/gem our gear...we just don't buy the most expensive stuff because why? I don't do mythics, so the cheaper enchants and gems work fine for me. I make my own food and get plenty of augments from LFR. I don't buy pets, I catch them myself....and contrary to popular belief, most casuals are not broke. I have plenty of gold, I just don't waste it buying things from the AH :)
05/19/2017 03:50 AMPosted by Ramsay
Casual players don't need stupid expensive things.

EDIT: Yes. Down vote me you stupid morons. I'm a casual player and I don't try and get expensive stuff. Idiots.

Lead CM has already explained the downvote feature is abused more than used properly so you can basically ignore downvotes/upvotes entirely as the entire dev team does anyways.
Use the professions. they can be very lucrative. All the armor and whatnot that you get in play that you can't use, sell in the AH for a decent (but not ridiculous) price. Dont discard anything you get that is usable, salable, or worthy of the AH.
you don't need a farming toon, all you need is to be more spread out, willing to farm herbs, food, fish, and turn them into edibles and daily quest objects.

You dont need to buy a 'stack" of herbs if you have the profession, (both alchemy and herbalism), skinning is a VERY lucrative selling profession, as is the higher level cloth. You can choose mining as a selling profession as well, it always goes well in the AH.

If you have alchemy, AND herbs as professions, you don't need the AH for any of that. Farm it all, a bit at a time, use what you need and sell the rest. Do the dailies. All of them.

Then again, I've never had more than 3 or 4K at any one time, and don't feel the need of it. Im truly a casual player. It takes a bit more effort but I enjoy the side professions as much as the other stuff.
05/19/2017 03:50 AMPosted by Ramsay
Casual players don't need stupid expensive things.

EDIT: Yes. Down vote me you stupid morons. I'm a casual player and I don't try and get expensive stuff. Idiots.

Rude much.

Anywho...OP: The current content stuff gives you chunks of gold in the following ways: Class hall missions, WQs, opening rep caches stuff (which these if your trying for those mounts can get you 600 or so gold alone. Even though grinding that rep can be annoying and get boring),etc.

But the big key is to not cave and spend it all in one gulp if your working on saving it for some reason.
05/19/2017 04:03 AMPosted by Crepe
05/19/2017 03:54 AMPosted by Trippi

I think that's really the answer. I know people who don't go beyond 5 mans and don't push mythic+ keys. They don't need all the min/max stuff that a lot of us do. They may wish to do some of it for completionist sake, but when you can grab 880+ gear from shards, 5 man content isn't really all that difficult.

A lot of the more casual players we see here on the forums are more frustrated with facing that their professions have their high rank recipes in mythic dungeons and the like. Or intimidated that they might have to dive into a raid to get flight.

We have a rather skewed view of how people play the game at times. And sometimes we don't recognize that there are many people playing in very different ways.

OP is doing heroic raiding but they still don't need all that. At most a couple of flasks and potions each night and to get gold for that all they have to do is run missions regularly if they don't have a crafting profession.

Heck you could just do the bacon WQ on a few characters and make enough for a couple of nights raiding each week.
Dance on mailboxes!!!
As a tailor enchanter I dont need anything since I gave up raiding. I made an alt recently that's alchemy and what a disappointment but still saves me gold. Recipes locked behind bosses that never spawn LOL.
05/19/2017 04:04 AMPosted by Trippi
casual players wont buy flasks, pre pots, augments, enchants, gems, crafted leggos, crafted gear , food. i assume the mostly spend their minimum wage earnings on battle pets.

Incorrect, I think most of us will enchant/gem our gear...we just don't buy the most expensive stuff because why? I don't do mythics, so the cheaper enchants and gems work fine for me. I make my own food and get plenty of augments from LFR. I don't buy pets, I catch them myself....and contrary to popular belief, most casuals are not broke. I have plenty of gold, I just don't waste it buying things from the AH :)

the battle pets part was a joke but i make good money off the people who do buy them off the AH, as for the philosophy of buying the cheaper enchants and gems to me that would just seem like a waste of money if im going to pay someone for something im to lazy to go get myself anyways it better be the best. but im the same in IRL i wont buy the cheaper version of something if i know its not 100% up to scratch, i will always push for the best even if its more. i don't like feeling like ive wasted money on something.

05/19/2017 04:07 AMPosted by Roxette
05/19/2017 04:03 AMPosted by Crepe

OP is doing heroic raiding but they still don't need all that. At most a couple of flasks and potions each night and to get gold for that all they have to do is run missions regularly if they don't have a crafting profession.

Heck you could just do the bacon WQ on a few characters and make enough for a couple of nights raiding each week.

some guilds require a full load even on heroics. all or nothing if you want to keep moving, even if you can stay on par with out it, having it all going can help either push over the edge you need or help carry the lower geared or lower skilled players in the raid team to help them get the gear or experience in raiding they need to get on par.

So... I don't do any of that and make 80,000 - 100,000g a week. Majority of it comes from having 8 level 110 characters do their Board missions that award gold as my target priority. Anytime a gold mission pops up, I ignore all other missions until those are completed with near or at 200% since they award a bonus 1500g.

Next, I always have two bodyguard followers stacked with equipment that are either Class Hall resources or Gold rewards when completing a World Quest. I cycle between them, doing 2-3 characters a day completing their emissary quests and whatever easy world quests I can do in other zones. I don't do every World Quest, just the fast ones and whatever Emissary ones are about to expire.

I make the Lavish Feasts for guild runs, but I don't farm the mats myself; I ASK my guild for mats and they supply whatever they can, I fill the rest. We have another person who makes our cauldrons and guess what, the guild supplies mats to make them. As for runes, I run LFR on my alts for that, one character a day each week.
05/19/2017 04:07 AMPosted by Roxette
OP is doing heroic raiding but they still don't need all that.

Well, I would hope that people would try and match what their teammates are doing to put forth equal effort. I popped into our alt night last night for a few bosses and did the flask/pot/etc thing just to try and keep up. And... my guildies stay up too late. Geez. More coffee.