Language Barrier for Horde and Alliance

General Discussion
Why is there one anymore?

Varion understood Guldan just fine.
Andiuan understood hellscream just fine

All the major players seem to be able to talk to one another with no issue.

In legion its established I, the player, am a MAJOR character.

Kadgar addresses me and a group of people with alliance players mixed into the group. He says the same thing and we ALL understand it and NPC's in the background are cheering. This show we share a common language

In my class order hall i speak to NPC's from other races and they even go so far as to bodyguard for me.

Why can't and alliance player understand me? it makes no sense
In game, NPCs seem to all speak one language.

But Blizz has gotta destroy that immersion.
I get plenty of tears sent to me from horde players that die in Wpvp areas. Allowing cross faction whining in bgs and the like would just stir the hornet's nest of teenage angst floating around when someone dies.
You have several good points but I hope it stays this way. We don't need people whispering each other in pvp.
05/11/2017 09:24 AMPosted by Calqulon
I get plenty of tears sent to me from horde players that die in Wpvp areas. Allowing cross faction whining in bgs and the like would just stir the hornet's nest of teenage angst floating around when someone dies.

Yeah I mean people already come and make alliance toons to QQ at me when they get beat -- sometimes its just nice having the filter so you don't have to deal with all the e-tears.
It doesnt make any sense in the lore anymore. Theres been too much interaction between the two factions. Regular common speech should be understood by all, but if players want to speak in their native tongue (Orcish, for example) then they should be only understood by their faction.
Do you really want the trade trolls from both horde and alliance spamming trade chat? really man
How the system currently is, most people just add the opposing faction's Real ID and whispers them anyways. I don't see a problem with removing the language barrier.

It used to be relevant, but with the state of the game as it currently is, it is only an inconvenience...
Who taught harpies how to speak English/common? Or all the other mobs that like to taunt you in combat? Suddenly they have an education.

It's funny to to think about because it's immersion breaking as hell.
More over it goes without saying the population of WoW is less then it was at its prime.

Making factions able to talk to one another will at least assist in the world not feeling so empty

As for PvP that's an easy fix. Just make this change for noninstanced game play.
I wrote an add-on many years ago called "faux translator." It is activated by the opposite faction saying or yelling something. It then "translates" it and provides a funny or famous quote from a list of quotes (which you can modify). The add-on stopped working when they changed the API and I never revisited it.
Please correct your spelling... it pains me to see an player not being able to spell ' anduin ' and ' varian '
Same reason all the characters in Guardians of the Galaxy somehow speak english. It's to make conversations less cumbersome. Imagine every cutscene requiring a translator, kinda like when Durotan talks with Llane, Garona does all the translating.

The only reason it's still ingame is to restrict trash talk.
If Blizzard fears insults in PvP, allow the player to choose to toggle on or off the language barrier.
YOU no take candle can be understood by all.

I secretly want to take the candle.......its from a candle shop and it has a fresh baked cookie smell I can not resist. I WILL take the candle!
Trash talk is not a good reason to restrict it honestly. It happens on your own faction. And if the Horde wants to trash talk you they would make an alliance toon anyway. If nothing else it could be something to toggle on and off.
Anyone remember babelfish back in Vanilla? Good times...
05/11/2017 10:02 AMPosted by Choistar
Please correct your spelling... it pains me to see an player not being able to spell ' anduin ' and ' varian '

Life is pain you cna handel ti
I rather not listen to more salty ppl that I kill in pvp. Killed a priest in Blackrook Arena Monday and they got super salty then after they killed me when I had 10 stacks of the debuff they wanted to trash talk. So I killed the priest again and the salt increased.
05/11/2017 10:12 AMPosted by Vaelada
Trash talk is not a good reason to restrict it honestly. It happens on your own faction. And if the Horde wants to trash talk you they would make an alliance toon anyway. If nothing else it could be something to toggle on and off.

"It still happens" isn't sufficient. It's there to be a check against it. Because Blizzard has seen what happens when we can communicate cross faction. It's not pretty. There's a difference between someone blurting out inappropriate stuff in yell or say and logging into another character on the other faction and saying it.

From observation, we haven't suddenly developed the maturity to warrant this based on reading what people say to each other over the Internet. We've gotten worse.

The problem isn't the game. It's us.

And I don't see us suddenly seeing the light and becoming model Internet citizens overnight.