A plea for the old Hide Interface

General Discussion
I realize this will probably go unheard since I doubt many players are affected by it, but as someone who takes a lot of screenshots in the game I have an issue that has been frustrating me since Legion released.

Previously, the Hide Interface option (usually default Alt+Z) would do exactly what you'd expect. It would hide all of the game interface. UI, names, chat bubbles, everything that wasn't just the bareboned visuals.

In Legion something changed with this toggle, and while the UI is indeed hidden, there seems to be no way to prevent things like chat bubbles or combat numbers from showing up on screen, and absolutely no way to hide the name of someone you are targetting.

Please Blizzard, is there any way you could look into this and provide some of the old functionality? I just want to be able to take screenshots without anything cluttering up the image, and speech bubbles are especially irksome if you're in an RP setting where people are often talking.

My personal biggest gripe right now is the target names, especially with the introduction of characters turning their heads to face their target. This has so much potential for some great photo moments, but no matter what name display setting you toggle your target will always have their name hovering above their head with the interface hidden, which detracts from the whole thing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, maybe I'm not alone in wanting this, and thanks for listening.
PLEASE!! it's annoying that these ultimately unnecessary things aren't hidden when the rest of the more important interface is
As an example, this is the kind of thing that still displays even while the interface is hidden. Combat numbers, the text name of your target, and even ability procs.

http://i.imgur.com/8Mk9blQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8bSu04x.jpg

These details used to disappear when you'd toggle the interface off.
As someone who really enjoys taking screenshots, this is something that's exceptionally annoying.

If I'm hiding the user interface to take screenshots, then I really don't have a desire to see these name plates or combat numbers. An option to disable seeing this (especially when targeting someone/something, as your character now turns to face them) would be really optimal.
06/12/2017 12:42 AMPosted by Brittania
As someone who really enjoys taking screenshots, this is something that's exceptionally annoying.

If I'm hiding the user interface to take screenshots, then I really don't have a desire to see these name plates or combat numbers. An option to disable seeing this (especially when targeting someone/something, as your character now turns to face them) would be really optimal.

Yes, an interface option or an advanced toggle somewhere would be fantastic!
It's such a weird/unpleasant inconsistency for these things to not turn off along with everything else. Backing up the desire to have all that turn off as well D:

(Also, do characters still 'get brighter' when you target them, with the interface off? If that's still a thing, that's also kinda weird to have.)
06/12/2017 05:02 PMPosted by Lylana
It's such a weird/unpleasant inconsistency for these things to not turn off along with everything else. Backing up the desire to have all that turn off as well D:

(Also, do characters still 'get brighter' when you target them, with the interface off? If that's still a thing, that's also kinda weird to have.)

You can keep your own character highlighted if you have them targeted before hiding the interface, which can be handy for some screenshots when you want them in the spotlight or as the focus of a picture. But other NPCs don't seem consistent with this behaviour. Sometimes you can get them to stay highlighted if you mouse over them and quickly hide the interface without moving your mouse, other times it just disappears.

It's all seemed a bit finicky after whatever changes they introduced in Legion. Some consistency would definitely be appreciated!
I agree with everyone here.
All I can really do is echo this original post and boost this. There is just no reason for this change. I can't imagine there is a large group of players turning their UI off but wanting to keep names, chat boxes, and combat text. The players who will be using this most often will be capturing screenshots and video (like myself) and it's the most frustrating thing that you cannot turn everything off, especially when it wasn't like this previously.

The addition of head-turning makes it even more frustrating, as was already mentioned. Everything should disappear when you turn off the UI and a simple set of options would be even better if for some reason this change was intended for some group of players that does play with their UI off.

If Blizzard isn't interested in making options for this, then at the very least let these be manipulated by the API so addon developers can let us tweak what is visible when the interface is hidden (since this seems to be the going modus operandi for advanced options for anything in the game now).

But really, it should just go back to everything disappearing when the UI is hidden. No combat text; no names, even for your target; no chat boxes. Nothing. It's the simplest and it really never should have changed.
PLEASE!

I'd love to take advantage of the head-turning our characters now do to take screenshots with others, but the text that remains utterly ruins them every time.

I'm just going to be another echo here but. Please.
Another voice in the choir, but this is something I, too, have noticed has changed in functionality, for the worse, since Legion released. The UI overlay is successfully hidden - no one is denying that! - but other interface elements such as floating combat text, ability proc graphics, and targeted mob/player names still appear even with ALT+Z toggled.
06/13/2017 02:42 PMPosted by Ashton
PLEASE!

I'd love to take advantage of the head-turning our characters now do to take screenshots with others, but the text that remains utterly ruins them every time.

Honestly, I could live with everything else if they just got rid of the targeted names. T-T It's one of my favourite new features and I want to use it constantly, but the text really spoils it for screenshots.
Actually adding another one that can't get turned off but I would like: Glows. Loot and "important" NPCs that glow (especially when obscured) are another thing that doesn't go away with the UI hidden.

A recommendation to everyone in the thread, however: Please also submit this through the in-game suggestion box! It never hurts to cover from multiple angles and they do read them! It's especially good for people you may know (or who are reading this) who are averse to using the forums.
That's actually a really good thing to point out as well. It makes no sense to me that all of these details persist through a hidden interface, I almost feel like it's just some sort of unnoticed bug or unintentional behaviour, especially since none of it used to show pre-Legion, but it probably doesn't affect most players.

The suggestion box is a great idea! :)

Also I appreciate the replies and the support in this thread (more than I expected)! I just would love to have this noticed by someone who can maybe think about fixing it, and I was worried no one would understand what I was talking about or care.
I agree, Plus, I'd like the toggle nameplates options (v) actually toggle the names and not just the health bars.
While I will say this is an issue that needs to be resolved. In the meantime there are some options you can use to go back to the old hide style.

- Turn off NPC and player / enemy name display in the interface options under names. (This will only hide names of people you aren't targetting unfortunately)
- Turn off chat bubbles in the interface options under display.

It's not a perfect solution. You will still see combat numbers unless you're using an addon for combat text which you can choose to temporarily disable and you won't be able to hide the names of the NPCs or players you're targetting, but if you're just wanting a basic, non-targetted, no combat screenshot, that would be your best option.
06/15/2017 02:50 AMPosted by Fugubar
I agree, Plus, I'd like the toggle nameplates options (v) actually toggle the names and not just the health bars.

But how will they keep players from getting confused if they don't keep pruning away all of our menu options until we need addons to handle even the most basic things?

Anyway, yeah, the alt+z changes are annoying and I want them reverted.