Glory of the Tomb Raider

Pet Battles
So according to MMO-Champ, the new reward for Glory of the Tomb Raider is a pet.

Am I the only one getting increasingly confused as to what target pets are aimed at?

They say it's for casual players to do things in their free time, but this expansion, they've gated pets behind:

A. 1,000,000 Gold.
B. High levels of Prestige.
C. Getting concordance on 4 different weapons.
D. Getting rather far in multiple class stories.
E. Normal+ Raid Achievements
F. Paragon Reputation Box RNG

So I ask - exactly what is the target audience for pets now? Legion seems to have changed it significantly, and in my opinion, I think a reward for Glory is going a bit too far. That's not something someone can casually do, ever.

Everything else, someone can eventually casually manage during legion. But Glory of the Tomb Raider? Most people won't be able to do that for 2 expansions down the line. Most people still don't have the Glory achievements from Draenor.

Thoughts?
For !@#$s sake.
I'm going to wait a little more and see what exactly is going on with Glory of the Tomb Raider.

Right now on the PTR the achievement lists a title as the reward, with no mention of the pet. But the Pet Journal does list the Micronax as a reward from the same achievement.

So one of those is wrong or there's missing information. Or something else. IDK. It could be placeholder information and might have nothing to do with the achievement at all.

A possibility: it could be similar to the MoP and WoD Challenge Mode dungeon guild unlocks -- complete Glory of the Tomb Raider as a guild to unlock the pet on the guild vendor. It's one possible explanation as to how both the title and the pet are from the same achievement.

If it's similar to the Challenge Mode pets, at least players might be able to find a pet collector-friendly guild that's unlocked it.

The pet is BoP and not cageable, which would fit with an achievement reward but also a guild vendor pet. So yea. Dunno. Going to wait and see.
I feel the pet battle team is going down a horrible path right now and I have been saying that since I saw some of the stuff they did for legion. Every raider I have talked to doesn't even want the pet and rather a mount or transmog. Collectors getting screwed again.
So much for pets being a fun thing to do in our spare time.
They seem to be trying to lead people into partaking in every aspect of the game. I don't mind it to a degree but it's getting pushy.
I am beginning to hate my monk and I pretty much loathe my DK at this point.

Now that I have the mount on my monk, I have been farming my face off to get AP, and even with 40 AK, it is still rather slow going. Luckily I am a healer so I was able to get quick invites for raids and rack up those tasty 20 million AP tokens.

But my DK, so much ugh... She is DPS because I am completely not comfortable tanking so hopes of her getting in a pug are rather nil. Yes I could start my own pug, but with the DPS I do, I would kick a player if they did as horribly as me. So I farm Mythics, hunt for AP dailies and see the bar barely make a dent, and to think I have to do this three times is pretty infuriating.

This expac is close to killing my love of pet collecting. It hasn't reached the complete "Oh screw it" moment, but I am getting pretty damn close.

Edit:
If they made it so you needed to complete the Broken Shore quest chain, have Concordance on ANY character and just have the main four sections unlocked on your alt's, it would be infinitely less hair-pulling-out worthy.
06/06/2017 11:43 PMPosted by Quintessence
I'm going to wait a little more and see what exactly is going on with Glory of the Tomb Raider.

Right now on the PTR the achievement lists a title as the reward, with no mention of the pet. But the Pet Journal does list the Micronax as a reward from the same achievement.

So one of those is wrong or there's missing information. Or something else. IDK. It could be placeholder information and might have nothing to do with the achievement at all.

A possibility: it could be similar to the MoP and WoD Challenge Mode dungeon guild unlocks -- complete Glory of the Tomb Raider as a guild to unlock the pet on the guild vendor. It's one possible explanation as to how both the title and the pet are from the same achievement.

If it's similar to the Challenge Mode pets, at least players might be able to find a pet collector-friendly guild that's unlocked it.

The pet is BoP and not cageable, which would fit with an achievement reward but also a guild vendor pet. So yea. Dunno. Going to wait and see.

The new Q&A confirmed it is indeed the reward from Glory of the Tomb Raider.

Which just confuses me even more. Pets have been touted MANY times by the devs as something casual players do in our free time.

Having it tied to an achievement casual players won't be able to complete for ~3-4 years? How on earth is that casual?

And every raider I've talked to has NO interest in the pet. They want a mount. They want the transmog set the achievement awarded for. They don't want a pet.

The people who do want the pets? Most of us won't be able to get Glory for years.
06/09/2017 12:10 AMPosted by Maizou
The new Q&A confirmed it is indeed the reward from Glory of the Tomb Raider.

The developer's exact words were, "along with maybe some other stuff as well" (referring to rewards in addition to the new title).

It's very likely the pet is tied to Glory of the Tomb Raider, but he doesn't clarify how exactly the pet will be earned.

I'm still holding onto the hope that this is treated similar to the Challenge Mode pets, and collectors will be able to find pet-friendly guilds to join for Micronax.

Or I could just be hoping in vain.

I understand why they added a pet to the achievement though. They didn't want to add another new mount because of how recently class mounts became available. And there are only so many cosmetic rewards, so... I guess a battle pet was picked to be apart of the achievement this time around. =\
You are hoping in vain. The datafiles list it as a reward for the achievement. If it was a guild reward, it'd be one thing. But that's not what the datafiles show.

There were so many other things they could've given, but choosing a pet is ridiculous when they themselves have said pets are meant for casuals to get in their free time.

Hell, they could've given a toy that summons a mini Kil'Jaeden. That would've been more entertaining and more likely for people to show off, without negatively impacting pet collectors.

They could've given a toy version of the Blacksmith item that lets you interact while mounted or stonehide leather barding. Etc. Something with some actual use, even if it's just for legion. And again, that way it doesn't screw over pet collectors.
06/06/2017 10:17 PMPosted by Maizou
Everything else, someone can eventually casually manage during legion. But Glory of the Tomb Raider? Most people won't be able to do that for 2 expansions down the line.

Depending on the achievements vastly outgearing normal Tombs may not even help, possibly even serve as a liability. While there are plenty you'd be able to cheese by bursting down the boss before specials and transitions, there are usually at least a few that require certain conditions be met such as leaving specific adds up and not accidentally one shotting them with built-in cleave or an entire raid properly coordinating randomly distributed debuffs between each other for a certain amount of time.

Not that I've actually studied the encounters or what the currently listed achievements would entail, but I could easily picture at least one anti-casual achievement that demands a set minimum number of people, all of whom are completely comfortable and quick with mechanics.

Most people still don't have the Glory achievements from Draenor.

Heck, I don't even have the Firelands Glory because my guild would fail Only the Penitent every week which only ever required that people press a macro at the correct time. Now that it's no longer relevant content, I'd have to join a pug of 5 other people who don't already have it and hope they could manage.

Raid mechanics have only become more complex and less forgiving for casuals since Cataclysm. I worry whether I'd have to guild hop in order to complete Tomb Glory. As if it weren't bad enough that one person doing the wrong thing could fail the achievement for everybody, pet battles is so unpopular among seasoned raiders in my experience that I'd have to find a team of achievement completionists.
06/09/2017 01:29 AMPosted by Maizou
There were so many other things they could've given, but choosing a pet is ridiculous when they themselves have said pets are meant for casuals to get in their free time.

I've heard this "pets are meant for casuals" quote a lot lately, but I can't find where everyone originally got it from. I've seen the old (2012) interview with Cory Stockton where he says that pet battles are intended to be something you do in your off time, but this is not exactly the same thing. Was this from a more recent interview?

Thanks!
06/09/2017 03:29 PMPosted by Kiella
06/09/2017 01:29 AMPosted by Maizou

I've heard this "pets are meant for casuals" quote a lot lately, but I can't find where everyone originally got it from. I've seen the old (2012) interview with Cory Stockton where he says that pet battles are intended to be something you do in your off time, but this is not exactly the same thing. Was this from a more recent interview?

Thanks!

Muffinus on Twitter a while back, if I recall.
06/09/2017 04:36 PMPosted by Maizou
06/09/2017 03:29 PMPosted by Kiella

Thanks!

"Doing Pet Battles" doesn't equal "collecting all pets" (not a fan of the raid achievement pet).
Not a fan at all.

But honestly, looking at this specific pets moveset from a battlers perspective as opposed to a collector, I'm not completely upset knowing it won't be in my collection for an expansion or two.

Still a bad idea reagardless though.
06/09/2017 05:12 PMPosted by Decypher
<span class="truncated">...</span>

"Doing Pet Battles" doesn't equal "collecting all pets" (not a fan of the raid achievement pet).

...They were referencing collecting. Shoo, Troll.

I'm pretty sure it was in reference to the Celestial Calf, though I could be wrong. Something about how casual players can gather 1,000,000g over time if they invest a little into it each day.

Collecting is meant to be something casual players can do in their own leisure. This undermines the core philosophy of pets.
I have a nice collection of pets and am willing to do most things to get them but this is one that I won't be seeing anytime soon. I have several reasons that raiding is difficult for me. Any I've done I've been pretty much carried through. Felt bad for the other people in the group. Some times it's not that you won't but that you can't.

If they made the pet cageable the raiders that don't want them could at least make a nice bit of gold and people like me would be happier. Win win.

...They were referencing collecting. Shoo, Troll.

I'm pretty sure it was in reference to the Celestial Calf, though I could be wrong. Something about how casual players can gather 1,000,000g over time if they invest a little into it each day.

Collecting is meant to be something casual players can do in their own leisure. This undermines the core philosophy of pets.

I'll admit that it's tiresome to see people like you label others as "trolls" just because they don't agree with you. At no point were you able to provide a quote that countered my post other than "maybe he said something that could have meant something and by the way my thoughts on pet philosophy are these". It's all fine, but don't accuse me of being a troll. "Thanks".
They say it's for casual players to do things in their free time, but this expansion, they've gated pets behind:

A. 1,000,000 Gold.

So I ask - exactly what is the target audience for pets now? Legion seems to have changed it significantly, and in my opinion, I think a reward for Glory is going a bit too far. That's not something someone can casually do, ever.

Outside of prestige and raid achievements the other things are pretty casual friendly. The reality is that we are talking about five hard to get pets(six if you want to count the gold sink) four of which are prestige pets.
06/11/2017 09:17 AMPosted by Tiresias

A. 1,000,000 Gold.

Outside of prestige and raid achievements the other things are pretty casual friendly. The reality is that we are talking about five hard to get pets(six if you want to count the gold sink) four of which are prestige pets.

Prestige can be obtained rather easily doing PvP WQs. I've missed probably 4 months worth of them and I'm Prestige 4, Honor 31.

Everything I listed can be obtained by a casual player if they put work into it.

The raid pet? Not so much. As said, most casual players dont even have glory of the Draenor Raider achievements yet. And as previously posted, some people still don't have Pandaria because some require multiple people.

So we're looking at a pet that 3-4 years down the line, casual players still won't have.