Boost or not to boost

General Discussion
What's the recommended way to get into WoW?

Should I get legion and boost a character or wait and take my time questing through all the zones. I was told to just boost and go back through the zones later. But I want to enjoy the story. But it doesn't seem like the story connects very well. After Gilneas I'm sent to Darkshore and now I have no idea what's going on etc.

Most of the quests leave me confused lore wise...

Newer player here, could really use the help.

Thank you.

I also have another thread asking out servers work I haven't got a response yet, any help would be great.
I, personally as a new player, would do a little of both. Class trial until you find a class you prefer. Boost it if you wish. You can level through LFD to get a faster experience or you can quest.

If you are looking for a guild, I run an alliance one on Alleria. Feel free to hit me up on Bnet - SuperMage#115108.
If you're looking to jump into Legion and be with everyone boost away. However, if you want to enjoy the background, quests, past stories and lore, take your time. Group quest might be difficult to complete though without loons and you probably won't get to experience raids leveling up.
Recommended way would be to play and level a character at least for your first one so you can get a grasp of how to do certain things as you obtain skills leveling and all that jazz.

Not only will you get some gold along the way from vendoring gear as you get new gear and random vendor trash along the way, but will also get you familiarized with the world itself. You know, because starting in the Broken Shore and not really knowing where everything else is might be a bit overwhelming when someone says they are going to need to go to some place in the old world, Outlands, Northrend, etc and all you'd be famliar with being on a small little island.

Plus there's a bit of comedic gold in some quests. My favorite being called "This just in: Fire still hot"
06/10/2017 01:04 AMPosted by Hasev

Should I get legion and boost a character or wait and take my time questing through all the zones. I was told to just boost and go back through the zones later. But I want to enjoy the story. But it doesn't seem like the story connects very well. After Gilneas I'm sent to Darkshore and now I have no idea what's going on etc.

Thank you.

I also have another thread asking out servers work I haven't got a response yet, any help would be great.

Part of why the story line doesn't make sense is because worgens were a later addition, and darkshore is part of the original game, with the cata expansion totally messing it up.

as for boosting or not, while its totally up to you, keep one thought in mind.

You only get one chance at your first time through the game.

Even with the messed up storylines, there is a lot to see as you level, if you take your time to take it all in. This world is a huge place.

You might want to look at this post titled "Noob questions" for more responses as its a similar topic with a lot of great advice.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20755736491?page=1

best of luck and welcome to wow!

edited to remove double quote
Don't rush :)

If I started again now, I would just level a toon nice and slow, explore, do some dungeons as you get a chance, catch a boat, get lost in Feralas for a while.

There's a lot to do, the game is huge, and if you skip straight to the end it's not quite as cool seeing it all as an overpowered 110 in raid gear.

Make sure you do the Stratholme dungeon!
If this game wasn't a mess from a the story telling perspective given how poorly iterated expansions were in this context, I'd say level your character until you felt comfortable enough with its mechanics, then boost.

However, this game from the lore perspective is a bit of a basket case, so I'd say if you want to boost a character and get into things a bit quicker, you won't really lose much if you're not obsessed with min/maxing and learning everything down to the finite details. The game really isn't that difficult, like golf, quick to learn, long time to master.

When you choose to boost a character you will be given a quick tutorial on basic mechanics for that class anyway... if you decide you don't like it, they give you the option of calling it quits at the end of the tutorial and choosing something different. Well, at least they did - and assume they still do.

Summary: boost and learn as you go... the old content is just that.
06/10/2017 03:53 AMPosted by Suradharma
the old content is just that.

Content is only old if you've seen it before, to someone new, everything is new.

I'd recommend hooking up with a patient friend who will let you derp around and make your own mistakes, tell you about lore as you go, etc. There is a decade+ worth of stories and even if it was all super-consistent (it isn't), it will take a while before you start to see the big picture.

I would recommend against boosting right off the bat, first play some classes to see what fits you. I think there are max-level trials now where you can playtest a class at max level for a bit? I would recommend that, classes tend to play far differently on max level than they do while leveling. Also, leveling will teach you endless bad habits you'll have to unlearn when you start playing in groups.
06/10/2017 01:04 AMPosted by Hasev

Thank you.

Level normally and learn your classes role and abilities as you do.
If it was me I wouldn't be boosting a toon the first time thru. Even though you prolly won't see every nook and cranny at first, it's an experience you'll only have once.

There's plenty of time to use your boost later.
Many players enjoy old content. Many players enjoy having many, many alternate characters. Some enjoy farming things to sell to others, or to use to craft rare items.

But most, even those who enjoy doing the things listed above, play current content when it's current. This is because there are things that are going on right now in game that you will not be able to do after the next expansion comes out.

Right now it looks like we'll be in Legion for another 1-1 1/2 years. Doing Legion stuff when Legion is current is WoW.

The other stuff is fun, I enjoy it, and certainly knowing lore will add to your enjoyment of WoW, but don't miss out on actually playing the game.
When I came back in WoD and didn't know they had made BoAs server transferable, I had to start from scratch on a new server and level an alliance too (this one, actually) to play with my friends. While I'd seen the world before, I'd never seen it from the Alliance PoV and not having the XP boosts forced me to see as much as possible.

I was still able to level efficiently, but taking each region as it came and only queueing dungeons when I had quests made for a really fun experience. I used my boost from WoD after I finished this guy and did the Draenor thing in a more efficient manner.

There really is nothing like that first time riding through Thoradin's Wall to Arathi Highlands or coming up over the hill from Durotar to see the expanse of the Barrens. The old world is so massive and deep, is recommend you go see as much of it as you can before they add more flight paths or tighten up more zones to make them feel smaller.

Smell the roses, the Legion isn't going anywhere.
I would recommend taking full advantage of the class trial system. See what you like before you boost. I would still play a toon without the boost for a full game experience.