High Warlord in Vanilla WoW

General Discussion
How long did it take to grind to Grand Marshall / High Warlord back in the days of vanilla WoW? I didn't play back then and the PvP ranking system in vanilla sounds really cool
Most people cheated and got someone else to play on their account the other half of the day. They had to play about 12-16 hrs a day to have a shot at rank 1 each week. You had to maintain rank 1 for a few months. You do the math...

I made a shot at it at one point on a fresh server. I was rank 2 the entire time for weeks into the launch of the server and at 60. I was behind a guy who didn't speak to anybody and was online round the clock (cheating). I burned out at around rank 10 and a smudge to rank 11.

PVP system was still better than it is now though.
You couldn't "grind" high warlord. There was only one at a time so you had to do the most PvP out of anyone else on the server in a week. PvP groups formed to help out members.
I remember there used to be a line on my server. Don't remember the details but I helped one guy out because he was in my guild.
15+ hours a day for a month or 2.

Mostly done by account sharing but a few people here and there were able to do it.

I'm not sure how it would be possible with work/school though.
Every Tuesday the new ranks came out.
It looked at the total honor points you earned for the last week.
It was a competitive system where each rank had only X number of slots available.
For simplicity sake, here is an example:

Rank 0 - unlimited
Rank 1 - 100 slots
Rank 2 - 60 slots
Rank 3 - 20 slots
Rank 4 - 3 slots
Rank 5 - 1 slot

If you were rank 2, to advance to rank 3 you had to do better for the week than all but 23 others, while every one else was trying to do the same thing.

Only those who put in massive hours per day doing nothing but BG's had any chance of advancing to the top ranks.
It was not a grind for the weak. You had to play an insane amount of hours even on lower pop servers as there can only be 1 at a time.
I remember helping a guildie in his push for Grand Marshal way back when there could be only one awarded a week. He stopped raiding in order to push for that last tier and I don't know if he slept more than a couple hours a night for a few weeks. Then he accidentally killed a civilian and lost honor... It was a dark time.
We had two groups running BGs every day for about 4 months rotating people out when we hit the ranks they wanted or needed to be in order for everyone to get their rank. It worked great till a set of Chinese players jumped in and messed up rotation for it on more than one occasion. The GM gear was good up until BC released even used for lvling in most instances so their was no reason to not try for it if you had the time.
I loved this system myself, but yeah the grind was stupid and it meant only 52 people within a year could get it. I think I made it to Legionairre and I was only playing like 12 hours a day. It was insane, but very fun.
I made it to rank 10 before burning out. Was sleeping about 4 hours and pvp'ing a good bit of the rest of the day. Think I ground out about 900k honor the week I got it.

I tapped out after that. That grind was definitely not healthy for the game (or players).
Oh HWL, how I'm both proud and ashamed at the same time of having the title.
Fact: I 100% ground from rank 1-14 with just myself playing the account. I had moved to Kentucky to help out a friend with a military husband, couldn't find a job, and had way too much time on my hands. Other fact: Nearly lost my then boyfriend now husband over this grind.

I was luckier than many, I was on a smallish PVE server, so there really wasn't much pvp going on between the hours of 2am and 8am. So that's when I slept....after that and after I got to rank 12....well the rest of the time was spent running BGs. Form the farm group, queue up for both AV and WSG, farm kills in AV waiting for WSG, trounce newbs or go in an epic battle against another premade in WSG (time limit? ha! there was no time limit in BGs in Vanilla), rinse, repeat....repeat....repeat...repeat...mix it up with a random AB....repeat...repeat...oh hell you get the point. Yes, there was a "line" per say for HWL, but there was always that one person who was Blood Guard or something that didn't want to follow the line and pvped like crazy for a week or two because "it was fun!!", making you stay online even more, or risk needing an extra week of grind. Go to the bar for a drink? Not happening. Date Night Movie? Is that movie WSG:The Epic Turtle? Then no. Make dinner with speaker volume set to max so you can hear the pop? The normal. Oops...dinner burned while flag capping. I remember one rather bad patch day where servers were down...but I couldn't leave the house b/c who knew when they would come back up and I'd miss out on honor. The servers were down for about 12 hours with me having to check every 15 minutes or so if they were up.

Also let's talk about rewards. You could only buy rewards for ranks while you were that current rank or higher. So, you could only buy the mounts at Lieutenant-General at rank 11-14. Gold was hard to come by back then, so you needed to make sure you had enough gold saved up before starting your push. When I reached High Warlord, I bought every weapon available to me. Awesome!! Then when I fell back to ohh...I think rank 10...Blizzard added new weapons, including a healing mace, onto the HWL weapon list...but did NOT give former HWL's the chance to buy those weapons. Want those shiny new weapons....regrind it out!!! I remember a couple of people who did the grind twice because of those weapons, I myself can't even imagine.

When people talk about how there is so much grinding and time gating today and want to go back to vanilla...I laugh. NO ONE should be put through that PVP grind. It was hell, it was unhealthy, it ruined lives, and to this day I have ill will towards how they handled the new HWL items. Myself personally, I'm a pretty healthy person, but I gained a lot of weight, ignored my best friend, ignored my boyfriend, ignored pretty much the world, all for the sake of digital pixels that you can now buy for like 12g each. lol Most HWL I knew quit shortly after finishing the grind, and I haven't seen any of the others I helped with the grind since early BC. I myself haven't PVPed seriously since vanilla....I became a Semi-hardcore PVE player, played thru the beginning of Cata, quit, and came back for Legion. Lately I've been getting the urge to return to my PVP roots and get a rated BG team together or join one, but who knows if that will happen.

Some of the most enjoyable conversations I've had with random people lately are other HWLs that remember the grind....if anyone wants to hit me and just talk about the old days...feel free. Like I say...the title is both an awesome and terrible reminder of the past.
06/19/2017 10:01 AMPosted by Shocknyou
Most people cheated and got someone else to play on their account the other half of the day. They had to play about 12-16 hrs a day to have a shot at rank 1 each week. You had to maintain rank 1 for a few months. You do the math...

I made a shot at it at one point on a fresh server. I was rank 2 the entire time for weeks into the launch of the server and at 60. I was behind a guy who didn't speak to anybody and was online round the clock (cheating). I burned out at around rank 10 and a smudge to rank 11.

PVP system was still better than it is now though.
While it's true that people did share accounts, there was no purpose to maintaining rank 1 after you hit Grand Marshal/HWL. You bought your weapons and then that was it, you have them forever.

A lot of people I know who did it just plain quit to burn out after that. Some carried on and just spent the rest of their days scaring the !@#$ out of people at BRM during raid nights.
My roomate got HWL back in the day, he lived off rice crispies and lost his job trying to stay ranked long enough.
06/19/2017 09:58 AMPosted by Reallydead
How long did it take to grind to Grand Marshall / High Warlord back in the days of vanilla WoW? I didn't play back then and the PvP ranking system in vanilla sounds really cool

Depended on the players your realm and realm pop. It was single realm based and the key was min/maxing time and honor points.

On high pop realms, you could play 24/7 solo and still not get the title unless you traded off with the cabal of players at the top.

On smaller realms, it was only slightly easier. Took around three months on a high med pop realm and you had play at least 18+ hours per day during the last month (I remember people using their vacation time for the final pushes) just to have a shot at moving up a rank - ONE RANK! - from field Marshal to Grand Marshal.

tl;dr: it depended on the competition; playing 24/7 did not guarantee that a player would get HW/GM
06/19/2017 12:26 PMPosted by Zipzzo
While it's true that people did share accounts, there was no purpose to maintaining rank 1 after you hit Grand Marshal/HWL. You bought your weapons and then that was it, you have them forever.

Until they added new weapons >.<

The only time I raged on the forums was when that happened.
Imagine for one minute waiting a week to get your honor. And people today complain about time gating and grinding... hahahaha

What you saw for honor was an estimate until after Tuesday maintenance rolled around. Sometimes it would be less than the estimate.
I got field marshal which was rank 13. I stopped there because for druids the gm weapons sucked and I was in a high end raiding guild with better weapons.
I never had to account share because our guild basically controlled gm on our server. People in our guild who were interested each got a turn.
I got up to rank 10 (Champion) on my Orc Shaman. I think I played about 6-8 hours a day to attain the goal.
On my server there was only one pre-made to rank up in; I helped raise 6 High Warlords. I was supposed to be the 7th but the other dudes stopped playing even though they said they would help me and the other healer so I only got to LT Gen. Thanks guys! :(

Anyways, it was a grind that required 10-16 hours a day, every day for months to get to the top; it was pretty lame all in all.