Tired of playing blizzard's way?

General Discussion
1 2 3 19 Next
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20752629119#post-1

I think that blizzard basically fails at understanding we are actually customers and they are providing a product. They act as if they are in charge and they don't have to address the customer's concerns and needs.

Any other business would fail if they told their customers, "No, we decided how to flavor your food or we decided what color car you are allowed to buy." That is their attitude and until they hire someone at the top that understands the value and importance of the customer they will continue to have a very angry customer base.

Somehow they have taken on the attitude this is theirs and we are just along for the ride. That works for awhile and being so powerful they can extend that longer, but in the end when you have that arrogant attitude, sooner or later people will leave.

The movie industry does not produce what it wants to, but rather what the customer will buy. Blizzard must learn this and get off their high horse that they somehow feel they know what we will like, when it is forced on us.

I love this game and the friendships, I just hate the way the customer is treated and ignored.
The customer base isn't angry. What you see on the forums is an extremely loud minority. The reason for this is simple; most people only come here when they have a complaint. 4+ million players and at most you'll see a 'popular' thread get 400 likes. That's a tiny sample size of the actual opinion of players.

I am confident Blizzard has metrics they use to base what is and is not popular and design off of that. Most successful tech companies don't just 'wing it and do what they want'. Most of the suggestions on GD are garbage anyway. If GD had their way this game would have crumbled a long, long time ago.
06/19/2017 07:19 AMPosted by Nuzow
Somehow they have taken on the attitude this is theirs

...but it IS theirs.
Perhaps.

But sometimes some people on the forum are basically going into a mexican food place and demanding they serve them chinese food. Then running to yelp leaving reviews about how arrogant they are to treat their customers like garbage for not doing what they demand.
06/19/2017 07:29 AMPosted by Hystin
Somehow they have taken on the attitude this is theirs

...but it IS theirs.

Pretty much this. They originally built the game the way THEY wanted it. They even say it during the documentary.
06/19/2017 07:27 AMPosted by Kithelle
The customer base isn't angry. What you see on the forums is an extremely loud minority. The reason for this is simple; most people only come here when they have a complaint. 4+ million players and at most you'll see a 'popular' thread get 400 likes. That's a tiny sample size of the actual opinion of players.

I know that idea sounds nice but you really should talk to people ingame more. While they aren't upset enough to quit, the opinion of the new devs and their design philosophies are pretty damn low. Honestly the only time I see someone defending them is on the forums.

I will admit though that the forums has created a 'boy who cried wolf' reputation over the years so its hard to take seriously for some.
I agree. You can only go so far when ignoring your customers.

I also agree with one of the above posters though, some complaints/suggestions are just ridiculous or have nothing to do with the game.
06/19/2017 07:32 AMPosted by Searik
06/19/2017 07:27 AMPosted by Kithelle

I know that idea sounds nice but you really should talk to people ingame more. While they aren't upset enough to quit, the opinion of the new devs and their design philosophies are pretty damn low. Honestly the only time I see someone defending them is on the forums.

I will admit though that the forums has created a 'boy who cried wolf' reputation over the years so its hard to take seriously for some.

As respectfully as possible. Please do not assume I do not talk to people in the game. It's also very rude to patronize.
After 13 years of playing Blizzard's way, you'd think people would understand that games have rules that need to be followed.
The original design/intent of this game no longer matches what people want out of a game. The membership originally bloomed because it offered a multiplayer experience that couldn't be matched anywhere else, but that is no longer true.

Now, what this game offers - regardless of quality - is not necessarily what people want. MMOs that are about killing things have gone out of fashion. Dress it up however you want, the kill grind is boring. Three things people want:

- Storytelling
- Character Development
- Creative Input

WoW will still have its player base, but the churn is really heavy. It can't reestablish itself as an online destination until it supports creative input. But that aside, it's a good game for what it does.

I have felt Legion is dramatically better than WoD was, and I enjoy Legion more than I did MoP or Cata as well.

Yet the forums are still flooded with people saying Legion is awful, devs are trash, etc. There is nothing blizz could do to please anywhere close to everyone, so this will always be the case. I still see people saying WoD was better than Legion and I am puzzled. There was so little content in WoD to actually do.

I remember by this point in WoD (8 months in), logging in, having nothing to do, and asking myself why I was still subbed.
I hate to break it to you guys, but we've been "playing Blizzard's way" since day 1. The entire game world is created by Blizzard. There is literally nothing in the game, absolutely nothing (with the exception possibly of bugs/exploits/hacks) that isn't "Blizzard's way". If you can do it in game, Blizzard designed it. You play their way all the time.

It IS their game. They design it and try their best to cater to hundreds of different playstyles, and for the most part they do it pretty well.

If it isn't bringing you enjoyment anymore, quit.... quite frankly, anything else, and you're still playing Blizzard's way. It's their game. They designed it. The game is their way.
06/19/2017 07:39 AMPosted by Kooka

I have felt Legion is dramatically better than WoD was, and I enjoy Legion more than I did MoP or Cata as well.

Yet the forums are still flooded with people saying Legion is awful, devs are trash, etc. There is nothing blizz could do to please anywhere close to everyone, so this will always be the case. I still see people saying WoD was better than Legion and I am puzzled. There was so little content in WoD to actually do.

I remember by this point in WoD (8 months in), logging in, having nothing to do, and asking myself why I was still subbed.
Legion is much better then Warlords, is that really a thing now? That people think Warlords was better? Weird.
06/19/2017 07:39 AMPosted by Kooka

Quite honestly I think I can count the number of people that think WoD was better then Legion on one hand. The thing I do hear about WoD though is that the class design/tuning was a lot better, which I would have to agree with. It also had a handle on gear progression, the RNG wasn't as bad and professions at least had some use. Something is not 100% better or 100% worse, some expansions do things better and some things worse.

Overall? Yea legion is better then WoD, but its still pretty easy to see the issues with legion if you're being objective, and the trend that its going in. I'm not going to flip out, cursing at the devs, and if I truly get to that point I'll apologies to my guild and just unsub... but at the same time I'm not going to pretend there isn't a lot of issues with it as well.
It seems like Blizzard has gone from creating a game they love, to just pushing out content just to get it out. While some of it is great, there is a lot that is lacking. The massive amounts of RNG, Time gates, having to go through several loop holes to do one damn thing, no new bgs in 2 expansions, etc. I also feel like they don't want to read our feed back. Constructive criticism or not it should be taken seriously (for the most part).

/quack
WoW originally started as a themepark type MMO. Sure there was leveling, and if you wanted to raid Naxx you had some (high) hurdles to jump, but if you wanted to gear up via professions, you could do so. If you wanted to gear up via PvP, you could do so.

The journey, not the destination was the paradigm.

Somewhere, post WotLK development, said paradigm changed. Now, the focus seems to be end-game. Lore? Retconned. Story? LOL.

If your story makes no sense, if you time-gate everything via release and not time-gate via effort, you get Legion, not MoP.

06/19/2017 07:39 AMPosted by Evangelica
Storytelling
- Character Development
- Creative Input

This. And since WotLK, all three have gone down.
"No, we decided how to flavor your food or we decided what color car you are allowed to buy."

First of all, food and a car aren't anything at all like a video game.

EVERY video game is made to play the way the designers want to make it to play. It matters not if it's on Console, PC, or at an Arcade. I'm not quite sure why people who play World of Warcraft seem to think that the game designers are under some obligation to make every single change to the game every individual player asks for or why they have some odd misconception that somehow the game is supposed to be developed by the players rather than the game designers.

Second... I have news for you. Restaurants DO flavor our food. So do processed food manufacturers. The only time you get to choose every single ingredient, and all flavoring techniques, is when you purchase all fresh foods and spices that have never been touched by any kind of process other than butchering and picking off the tree (or vine, or from the ground, or whatever).

No grocery store or restaurant is going to close down because you want to choose the recipe used to create that Swanson TV dinner or that plate of fajitas. You're just going to have to buy foods and restaurant meals that better suit your taste buds.

Thirdly... Car dealerships DO choose what color your car can be by making only certain colors available. Some will allow you to special order vehicles, but you can only choose a color that the manufacturer actually utilizes in all areas the vehicle is sold AND you will often have to wait weeks...or months depending on how often the manufacturer accepts special orders...for your vehicle PLUS you will have to pay a deposit that is often non-refundable, or at the least will be held until the car is sold to someone else, should you change your mind.

You can't just walk into a dealership and say "I want a purple car!" and drive away in it because that's what you want if the only colors available in your area are Silver, Grey, Black, White, Red/Maroon, and Blue. It simply doesn't work that way.

Your analogies have more holes than a colander.
after 13 years, peoples tastes changes, game developers idea's of what a game should be, change. Are people upset over these changes? of course! but not as many as people on the forums believe. But there are also those who just play for the friends or fun they have.

What is fun for me may not be fun for you, and vice versa. That isn't to say I agree with all the changes they have made, that I do not have gripes with this expansion. But I still play because there is also a lot i still like.

Do not assume that a majority are upset, nor assume that a minority are upset, because you do not know.
Any other business would fail if they told their customers, "No, we decided how to flavor your food or we decided what color car you are allowed to buy."

Uh, I think you'll find that all companies do that. I have yet to see a restaurant that asks me every step of the way what I want each dish seasoned with. and good luck buying a fluro-purple Mercedes.
I am tired of being forced into a faction based upon my selection of Race.
I am tired of being forced into a race based upon my selection of Class.
after reading his list, honestly these are the only 2 that i agree with to an extent. i wish i could play each of my top 5 races, but i can only really play 2 of them (blood elf and forsaken) since 3 of them are alliance (night elf, draenei, worgen) but i only play on horde side except for generally one alt during the leveling process of an expansion.

i wish DHs weren't limited to 1 race per faction, they should have been like Pandaren and got to choose which faction they joined up with regardless of which race they chose.