Elemental Casting Animation Updates

7.3 PTR Feedback
1 2 3 6 Next
Hello there! I know this isn't a complete overhaul and I wanted to say I do appreciate seeing some effort put into casting updates! Wanted to share with you my thoughts on Elemental Shaman from what I took a look at.

I actually really like Lightning Bolt spell effect. I like that the overload has a slightly different, lesser appearance and the full spell itself looks pretty nice!

I did not like the update to Chain Lightning quite as much! The "lightning web" we would get from overloads was very iconic and was one of the most fun "wow" factors we had in the game. With the update, the chain dissipates rather quickly between mobs and you don't get that factor as much anymore.

I like the touch on Flame Shock. Very cool.

As far as the actual casting animation, which would be for LB, CL and Lava Burst - It's interesting. It may grow on me. I'm torn on my initial reaction to it but I could definitely see it growing on me. It is a vast improvement over... well, nothing, though!

Hopefully we continue to see more of this. Would love to see what you have in store for spells like Elemental Blast and Earth Shock!
Please DO NOT touch Chain Lightning. It is one of the few spells we have that needs NO VISUAL OR AUDIO ADJUSTMENT AT ALL.

If you feel you must ABSOLUTELY make adjustments, make a glyph for it.
I really like how Lava Burst looks like it's drawing up from the ground. And Lightning Bolt looks like it might do some damage instead of tickling. But please please please don't change Chain Lightning. It feels so awesome when it overloads right now.
They all look kinda generic. Im not a fan of the "slap" Flame Shock animation. Its cool to see it come from either hand randomly though.

The chain lightning one isnt bad. It changes every so often when it jumps. The sound though, jeez get rid of it. So freaking annoying especially when it jumps.
Enjoying the casting animations. My Orc actually stands up straight now while casting.
I miss when my race determined my animations.
the new lightning bolt and lava burst are really awesome.

but throwing my hat in for not changing chain lightning. the current chain lightning feels awesome to cast and i hope if they do change it, they only change your hands/arms on how the spell is cast, not the actual animation of the spell itself.
Thank you for providing early feedback on visual updates.

We are still in the early stages of PTR - there is a lot of work ahead to get this round of casters feeling the best they can. Providing specific details about what is missing the mark and why, as well as what is working well and feels great will help us guide the coming weeks of development.

There are many spell effects, animations, and sounds still being worked on, and will be continually introduced throughout PTR. Thank you for your thoughts, we are listening.
06/28/2017 09:54 PMPosted by Solanis

We are still in the early stages of PTR - there is a lot of work ahead to get this round of casters feeling the best they can. Providing specific details about what is missing the mark and why, as well as what is working well and feels great will help us guide the coming weeks of development.

There are many spell effects, animations, and sounds still being worked on, and will be continually introduced throughout PTR. Thank you for your thoughts, we are listening.

What about Warlock casting animations?
I love new ele stuff. Things to improve though are :
Earth shock spell animation, chain lightning overload web-style static feel, and lava burst splash of lava effect seems smaller than 7.2
I am not content being “just another shaman,” I'd rather be known & seen as “a tauren shaman” whom has his own unique animations.

Race determining animation is more effort, but a payoff as individuals will make different races for a chance to play with those unique animations. Alternatives are strong, particularly when there is more motive.

Thank you for your thoughts, we are listening.
Thanks & I hope so.
Do you guys intend on giving Elemental Blast a new animation? Enjoying the new animations so far though i think lightning bolt should have something different, it being the same as lava burst will look kinda repetitive
06/28/2017 10:07 PMPosted by Jards
Do you guys intend on giving Elemental Blast a new animation? Enjoying the new animations so far though i think lightning bolt should have something different, it being the same as lava burst will look kinda repetitive
i personally love the new lightning bolt and i like ele blast except id add casting animation to ele blast as well

Earth Shock is missing the mark because as our heavy hitting resource dump, you see next to no animation or effect for it. That's a huge let down!

Chain Lightning changes miss the mark because, as I mentioned, one of the best parts about Elemental was watching the overload on Chain Lightning turn into a lightning web... the look and feel are fantastic. The new effects dissipate quickly and you don't get that same look or feel by any stretch as you don't get to see any lasting lightning link between mobs.
06/28/2017 09:58 PMPosted by Siebenheim

What about Warlock casting animations?

Our project to improve combat visuals is ongoing. Warlocks (and other specs) are being worked on, but were not ready for this patch.

06/28/2017 09:31 PMPosted by Tariy
I miss when my race determined my animations.

7.3 has a suite of new casting animations similar to our melee update at launch. Each race will retain their unique animations for many spells, while other spells will use new ones. Presently the core nuke spell for each spec (fireball, lightning bolt, smite, etc.) use race-specific animations, while less frequent highlight moments use class-specific animations, plus a few one-handed casts mixed in for differentiation, readability, and style.

We agree that custom race animations are critical to keep, but also that iconic spells like Lava Burst or Pyroblast deserve a defining, class-specific treatment.
Our project to improve combat visuals is ongoing. Warlocks (and other specs) are being worked on, but were not ready for this patch.

This patch you mean 7.3 or just this PTR Build?

06/28/2017 10:24 PMPosted by Solanis
We agree that custom race animations are critical to keep, but also that iconic spells like Lava Burst or Pyroblast deserve a defining, class-specific treatment.

Yes yes yes, they are looking pretty good on Lava Burst for example.
animations are trash for rsham, please make it unique.

always looked best when you're weaving some water to your side, none of this "draw from the ground" stuff. again, for rsham.

damaging spells being emitted should use 1 hand please for male orc ty.
The new shaman animations look really good. A lot has been said about Chain Lighting so I won't comment there.

However, I do see a small issue with Lighting Bolt.

As the spell effect fades, one of the blue lines always vanishes about half a second after all the other lines. (IDK how best to describe it). So, the initial cast looks amazing, but the vanish left behind looks like a blue hand squiggle.

Please, make that last blue squiggle vanish with a similar timing as the others.
06/28/2017 11:14 PMPosted by Felryn
animations are trash for rsham, please make it unique

dude, chain heal almost made me !@#$ my pants... IDK what you are talking about.
06/28/2017 11:53 PMPosted by Kindrag
06/28/2017 11:14 PMPosted by Felryn
animations are trash for rsham, please make it unique

dude, chain heal almost made me !@#$ my pants... IDK what you are talking about.

go and cast healing surge/wave

that is literal trash.