Recent Actions Against Real-Money Raid Clears

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
We’ve recently taken action against a number of accounts that were actively participating in and/or advertising the sale of in-game raid or dungeon clears in exchange for real-world currency. Such behavior is a clear violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.

As a reminder, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we’re continuing to closely monitor these and other activities that violate the Terms of Use. This includes selling in-game services for real money, exchanging accounts or characters, and other violations. This includes violations done with the intention of gaining a competitive advantage in raid progression (such as the purchase or transfer of geared characters or accounts between owners).

Note that while selling assistance with obtaining items, achievements, PvP rating, or other in-game benefits for real-world currency is against the Terms of Use, selling those things in exchange for in-game gold is perfectly legitimate. Players should not feel as though participating in a “gold run” is going to result in negative action taken against their account.

We’re disappointed to see members of the raiding community participating in behavior that clearly violates the Terms of Use, and want to be clear that such activities will not be tolerated.
Great! Now do the same thing agaisnt bots!
You can use real money to buy a wow token and sell it in the Auction House and get gold, then use that gold to buy a carry. So you are still paying real money for a carry (PVP ,Raid,achievement, or whatever). how does going this route differ as far as Terms of Use? other than blizzard getting the real money instead of some player,raid leader,guild, etc.
06/26/2017 04:32 PMPosted by Sidhee
You can use real money to buy a wow token and sell it in the Auction House and get gold, then use that gold to buy a carry. So you are still paying real money for a carry (PVP ,Raid,achievement, or whatever). how does going this route differ as far as Terms of Use? other than blizzard getting the real money instead of some player,raid leader,guild, etc.

It differs in way that Blizzard is not part of that transaction chain as it is with WoW token where not only do they sell virtual goods they get 5 dollars extra of the real currency.

This is probably the only real issue that they have with this.
06/26/2017 04:42 PMPosted by Darthknight

It differs in way that Blizzard is not part of that transaction chain as it is with WoW token where not only do they sell virtual goods they get 5 dollars extra of the real currency.

I would argue it also discourages scams... I'm kindof surprised there are that many people willing to give their credit card information to people who can't even spell sentences on their site correctly.
06/26/2017 04:42 PMPosted by Darthknight

Certainly 1 part. Another is that Blizz cant police external real money transactions. At least they can track gold and ingame communications then confirm whether both sides were fulfilled.
Weird. I wonder if selling carries would be an issue if gearing was better and raiding was more accessible. Have you tried nerfing M+ loot more or adding more RNG?
It's terrible when people buy carries for outside game currency but when blizzard implements their WoW token balance sheet scam it's all good because it is their game. The hypocrisy at its finest
I have a hard enough time paying 14.99 a month. Who are these people actually paying for something is my first question? Shame in those offering it as well!

It's a f'n game! Buying an achievement just seems pointless to me. Maybe I am just too old though
06/26/2017 06:47 PMPosted by Chemz
It's terrible when people buy carries for outside game currency but when blizzard implements their WoW token balance sheet scam it's all good because it is their game. The hypocrisy at its finest

Remember that big block of text you skipped over when you installed the game.. well in that big block of text it says "This our game we can do what we want at any time, you don't like it? too bad. Also, if you do thing we don't want.. and we ban you.. too bad, should've followed the rules." You lost your right to complain about ToS disagreements the moment you clicked accept on that block of text.
06/26/2017 06:20 PMPosted by Hinase
Weird. I wonder if selling carries would be an issue if gearing was better and raiding was more accessible. Have you tried nerfing M+ loot more or adding more RNG?

People buy carries for a number of different reasons. I think most commonly is that they don't have the potential or the will to do the work themselves.

That's what it's all about. Using Blizzard IP to generate revenue and Blizzard not seeing any of it. At least with tokens and the sub fee, they can live with that. RMT generates hundreds of millions of dollars that Blizz never sees.

What's curious is how many subs would go bye bye if Blizz was truly fanatical on both sides of the transaction. Sometimes enforcement costs revenue, you see.
06/26/2017 06:47 PMPosted by Chemz

Players don't own anything in game, yet they're trying to make a quick dollar off of it, it's no different then when they told mod makers they can't actively sell their mods. There is nothing hypocritical about them not wanting people to make a profit off of their product/work with out their permission.
06/26/2017 10:48 AMPosted by Ornyx
We’re disappointed to see members of the raiding community participating in behavior that clearly violates the Terms of Use, and want to be clear that such activities will not be tolerated.

These type of things are almost never enforced. Guilds have been selling carries for real $ for most of WoW's history with no attempt to hide what they were doing. Why wouldn't they try to profit from it? Especially considering Blizzard has made no effort to grow the non-existent raiding esports scene.
Good. This needed to happen, and shame on the players - the people who sold the runs for real money and the players who paid the real money in the first place - for actually encouraging such behavior.

Have fun trying to defend their actions, folks!
Great!! How about the bots advertising the sale of in-game gold in exchange for real-world currency? I remember the old days where young peeps use to go for this one, an get hacked. They are spamming this on the servers I am on, reporting them for spamming it, hope blizz finds these too, before it is too late. :) Keep up great work blizz , loving this expac. :)

You agreed to the ToU...multiple times. Selling in-game services for real world money is against the ToU. That's is the only thing that actually matters.

And, just as a general FYI... Blizzard is a "for profit company". They create games to sell so they can make...wait for it...MONEY. They have every right to be the only ones who actually make money off of their game. Why people seem to have issue with this is beyond me.
Scheduling this wave of account actions for immediately before the mythic race begins will hopefully send a strong message.

Nice work.
Scheduling this wave of account actions for immediately before the mythic race begins will hopefully send a strong message.

Nice work.

06/27/2017 05:24 AMPosted by Illidariea
Great!! How about the bots advertising the sale of in-game gold in exchange for real-world currency?

Continue to report these when you see them. Often they can be traced back to the 3rd party actually performing the transactions, which will often lead to accounts being actioned. Blizzard seems to be working to figure out who the actual players are behind these services and holding them accountable.