Question for WoW Veterans

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
06/29/2017 01:21 PMPosted by Mellga
Specifically those who started in Classic, BC or Wrath. I couldn't fit the whole thing in the title xD

The reason I'm asking you guys is because we all started before the destruction of Cata took over and rehauled the old world.

My question is do you like the new questing system where it guides you, or the ability to have Gray to Red quests, and you decide how to play it out?

Discuss.

Game was so much better under Bush. Went downhill in a hurry when Obama the Buffoon took office.
06/30/2017 07:58 AMPosted by Searik
06/30/2017 06:20 AMPosted by Viera
I prefer the old way. I'm not a fan of linear on rails questing, never have been.
There were some out of the way, adventurous hidden quests that were fun to hunt, like that one where you'd take the leap of faith in 1k needles, or "it's a secret to everybody".

I think it really comes down to this. Players who like streamlined linear questing will say that the old way was horrible. Players who like us enjoyed the open nature of the old world will say questing back then felt like an actual adventure rather then what we have now.

[/quote]

So to me the conclusion is - there should be options for the players. Someone came up with the idea of Progressive Servers, that would give you an opportunity to experience everything that the game had ever to offer - from Vanilla to the latest expansion. I would absolutely love it and would stay subbed for a long time. As for right now, I am planning on leveling my latest alt to 80, going (flying actually even without looms) through the old content. And if they continue to mix and match Diablo mechanics into WoW, I do not see myself coming back to it...
The issue is see is more that the pendulum has swung too far on the other direction. I'm sure there are fans of streamlining out there, you see it in classic server discussions of people preferring either streamlined linear gameplay or open ended rpg gameplay (usually devolving the others opinions into either nostalgia or ignorance). I think the best way to handle this is options. By this I mean have a chance to level and gear a character on a progression server, with the option to a free transfer once it hits max. This way people can experience the game that revolutionized the genre, and still play with everyone once they do.
06/29/2017 01:21 PMPosted by Mellga
Specifically those who started in Classic, BC or Wrath. I couldn't fit the whole thing in the title xD

The reason I'm asking you guys is because we all started before the destruction of Cata took over and rehauled the old world.

My question is do you like the new questing system where it guides you, or the ability to have Gray to Red quests, and you decide how to play it out?

Discuss.

I liked the original system, personally. Played without any addons forever. This was mainly because I didn't know what they were.. But it made things more challenging that way!
Ah the old Barrens. You could actually level up to level 35 if you did them all and the hidden. I do remember trying to see how High i could actually get on my hunter before going to Outlands and I made it up to level 68. Being that I did lore master 3 times made it pretty easy to do all the quest.

But the fun thing was Each class had a different version of the same quest so it was fun to see the variations. I do remember running across the barrens and it took a huge amount of time of avoiding raptors, lions, dogs, birds, centaurs, kodo's and wind serpents. And lets not to forget the QuillBoar and the Dwarfs at the dig site as well.
06/30/2017 06:20 AMPosted by Viera
I prefer the old way. I'm not a fan of linear on rails questing, never have been.
There were some out of the way, adventurous hidden quests that were fun to hunt, like that one where you'd take the leap of faith in 1k needles, or "it's a secret to everybody".

I think it really comes down to this. Players who like streamlined linear questing will say that the old way was horrible. Players who like us enjoyed the open nature of the old world will say questing back then felt like an actual adventure rather then what we have now.

It kind of remind's me of egoraptor's rant on the shift from Zelda:LttP and OoT, and while I loved both games he brings up a lot of points that can be applied to WoW questing and what it has gone through: https://youtu.be/XOC3vixnj_0

^ for those who want a vid to watch (trigger warning he goes after OoT so an open mind is required)

Part of this also has to do with whether you like worlds or stories; it's an important distinction.

Me personally, I've never gotten a whole lot of value out of open worlds by themselves, MMO or single player. I'm not opposed to the genre but I only care about "open world" insofar as it contains coherent, meaningful story content. That was my main beef with Dragon Age Inquisition; the main storyline and major side plots were great, but I just can't be bothered to care about some guy who lost his wife's ring or whatever. People like me are inevitably going to find the Cata system, with its coherent plots in every zone, more appealing, because there's more consistent story to get involved in there. Vanilla had some, but part of the reason the Stalvan Mistmantle, Rakh'likh, or Darrowshire questlines have so much nostalgia attached to them is because they stood out in a sea of "go kill 809309709 gnolls because I said so. Oh, and here's 15s."

On the other hand, if you like open worlds for being open worlds, and you like the feeling of just being a guy in a big wide world finding your way and seeking out hidden corners and helping out random people, I can see why the Cata revamp would make you enjoy the experience less.

It's worth mentioning the speed issue, though. For a new player, 100+ levels is incredibly daunting to look at, much more so than 60, and completing 100 levels in a reasonable amount of time is inevitably going to necessitate streamlining lower levels.
You can always pay 10g and lock a character at level if you feel you are progressing too quickly through a zone. Unlock when you're ready to leave.

I prefer the quest guidance system as it is now, though I think level progression is too fast, particularly for new players. I think even with dumbed down character mechanics, it still requires learning.
I don't mind how the quest system is now. I do miss how difficult is was to collect gold though. I remember how happy I was when I finally saved up enough gold for my first mount. It made the experience richer. Or, I dunno, maybe it wasn't that collecting gold was difficult, maybe it was that I was new to the game and didn't know how to get gold.
I liked some from column A and some from column B.
Being told I'm a WoW veteran for playing during Wrath makes me feel old. God, but I really have been playing this game a long time.

I think the questing experience is better, a lot more linear. Going back to BC and Wrath zones to level is kind of painful - BC more than Wrath. I like the way each zone has its own story. Some of them are great, some of them are not so great. (Personal favorite is Hillsbrad Foothills. Just enough humor and heart to get me right in the feels.)

I recall being annoyed that it reset my progress for Loremaster but fragmenting it by zones actually made it a lot better, in the long run. Now you know if you'd effectively finished a zone before moving on, which is nice. That said, I'd love to see the old world again, just for nostalgia's sake, but I don't think I'd want to stay there. Maybe like, visit it, in CoT or something. Pay some gold and go explore the world as it was 10 years ago.
06/29/2017 01:35 PMPosted by Torvos
I like the fact that the questing experience has become more streamlined, but the trade off to that was the loss of the open world feel and the mystery this game used to have.

I'd say the same with CRZ and LFG. Absolutely destroyed the sense of the community that was present on each server. You would see someone on trade and know who they were, you knew what guild had the top raiders and whom those raiders were, you'd regularly run past people you've been seeing for years, etc.

They used to feel like homes, now they feel like character storage spaces.

SO MUCH THIS.
06/30/2017 01:59 AMPosted by Mellga
06/30/2017 01:10 AMPosted by Mohe
Cata revamp was great, I just with the oldworld, outlands and wotlk would get the WoD/Legion treatment where zones scaled to your level. I've now leveled every class to 110 except my shaman (70) and priest (91) and the only reason they're not 110 yet is because I'm TIRED OF LEVELING THROUGH THE BROKEN SHORE.

If I could go back and level 100-110 through the eastern kingdoms and kalimdor, I certainly would since I haven't done it in forever.
IDK how I feel about max leveled mobs chasing me, as I'm trying to go out exploring/collecting.

you wouldn't have to worry about max level as they'd scale, like they do in the broken isles. So if you're lvl 60, you'd just have to worry about lvel 60 mobs. And with how OP toons in heirloom gear are, they'd be a non-issue.
06/30/2017 02:30 PMPosted by Velara
You can always pay 10g and lock a character at level if you feel you are progressing too quickly through a zone. Unlock when you're ready to leave.
I already do this, I just don't find it very practical, but it is what it is :)

06/30/2017 02:59 PMPosted by Vindelle
Being told I'm a WoW veteran for playing during Wrath makes me feel old.
IKR? I just feel if you were around before Cata, that's "veteran" enough for me, considering Cata was like three to four expansions ago O_O

06/30/2017 03:12 PMPosted by Mohe
you wouldn't have to worry about max level as they'd scale, like they do in the broken isles. So if you're lvl 60, you'd just have to worry about lvel 60 mobs. And with how OP toons in heirloom gear are, they'd be a non-issue.
Let me re-phrase, "IDK how I feel about mobs constantly being the same level as me, chasing me around, when I just want to relax and just explore/collect. The leveling system would become obsolete."

EDIT: Spelling.
06/30/2017 02:19 PMPosted by Zariok

It kind of remind's me of egoraptor's rant on the shift from Zelda:LttP and OoT, and while I loved both games he brings up a lot of points that can be applied to WoW questing and what it has gone through: https://youtu.be/XOC3vixnj_0

^ for those who want a vid to watch (trigger warning he goes after OoT so an open mind is required)

Part of this also has to do with whether you like worlds or stories; it's an important distinction.

Me personally, I've never gotten a whole lot of value out of open worlds by themselves, MMO or single player. I'm not opposed to the genre but I only care about "open world" insofar as it contains coherent, meaningful story content. That was my main beef with Dragon Age Inquisition; the main storyline and major side plots were great, but I just can't be bothered to care about some guy who lost his wife's ring or whatever. People like me are inevitably going to find the Cata system, with its coherent plots in every zone, more appealing, because there's more consistent story to get involved in there. Vanilla had some, but part of the reason the Stalvan Mistmantle, Rakh'likh, or Darrowshire questlines have so much nostalgia attached to them is because they stood out in a sea of "go kill 809309709 gnolls because I said so. Oh, and here's 15s."

On the other hand, if you like open worlds for being open worlds, and you like the feeling of just being a guy in a big wide world finding your way and seeking out hidden corners and helping out random people, I can see why the Cata revamp would make you enjoy the experience less.

It's worth mentioning the speed issue, though. For a new player, 100+ levels is incredibly daunting to look at, much more so than 60, and completing 100 levels in a reasonable amount of time is inevitably going to necessitate streamlining lower levels.

I see what you're saying, though being compared to DA: I is rough but that game had other issues going on (would argue the story and characters weren't interesting at all to start).

But one of the nice things about the story in early WoW was, yes it would fall off to be revisited at a later date, but it was more of a mystery and you discovered it in an organic way....

What were those blood stones that would whisper to people driving them mad in Hillsbrad? Who am I freeing in Arathi and should I be doing this? I get that having a complete story is nice but honestly ever since Cataclysm the story has seemed cheap.
I don't miss thottbot at all but I do miss the old zones and dungeons.
06/30/2017 02:59 PMPosted by Vindelle
Being told I'm a WoW veteran for playing during Wrath makes me feel old. God, but I really have been playing this game a long time.

Right? I started in Wrath and it's weird to think that I've now been playing this game for more of its history than I wasn't. I still think of myself as a huge noob. (TBH that's because most of my in-game friends have been playing since Vanilla, though.)
i hate how leveling is now. "go ten yards over there. do these 3 quests. come back, and i'll tell you where to go next"
Just give me back Thousand Needles and The Mirage Raceway so I can quest there one more time. It was an amazing place to visit for the first time.
06/29/2017 01:30 PMPosted by Thalondir
I prefer how it is now for sheer convenience. But I have severe nostalgia for old Tirisfal Glades, Silverpine, Hillsbrad and Darkshore. I just want to be able to see those places again and relive memories.

I share this nostalgia. When idle, I often have thoughts about if/how they could arrange it so that we had the option to play through pre/post Cataclysm content. Ultimately though, nothing really seems to work.

I'd make the pitch regarding Classic servers, which would certainly scratch that itch, however that argument has been exhausted.

Old or new system? Mixed bag for me. I like not requiring add-ons for things that aid with quest tracking. I still miss some of the content that is gone though.
I think back in TBC they had a nice balance of story quest chains and local quests for an area. I think with the bonus objectives everywhere there's kind of a little bit too much "game" intruding on when you play if you get what I mean. I think they could be announced with a little more subtlety. Today the questing feels a bit too on the rails and they've gone a little bit too overboard like trying to make every single mob part of a bigger story instead of just having their own little one.