Question for WoW Veterans

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
I will always prefer the older system, simply because I grew up with games that were less well...convenient. I miss the exploration and sense of wonder.

All of that said, I totally understand why things are the way they are now. Sometimes I think they push it too much(leveling is obviously a joke at this point) but I understand.
Post-cata, it's not as grindy and it's more efficient (ie not having to go back to the same place 3+ times in a row for different quests).

However, pre-Cata had better story pacing. It left questions. Now levelling feels more like a theme park.

I would like the option to do pre-Cata zones if only for nostalgia.
The new style is certainly more streamlined but it gets bland doing the same 3 quests over and over. Almost all questing is now: Go to hub, pick up random kill quest + fetch quest + other quest, turn in, repeat, maybe kill a boss mob (that isn't challenging in any way) once in a while. It becomes very very dry after a while.

The old style felt more "alive" and interesting but was kind of a mess. /shrug. I think I prefer the old style if for no other reason than because it was a little more varied and it felt like there was more depth. Also turning in a dozen quests at once was nice.
I prefer the old system, but as we all know such opinions are entirely subjective.

I understand why the changes were made, and don't disagree with the thought process.

But I also remember the sense of wonder I had before that I'm nostalgic for and could never recapture - the warlock mount quest, totem quests (oh my god yes I remember traversing the entire world of azeroth to get my totems lol - some of them on foot!) and how vast and incredible the world was to me then.

But that was 10 years ago (for me). The game has changed. I still love it, and play daily. I have 10 110s and still start new toons sometimes just to screw around at low levels. Despite a lot of the changes I don't like or agree with I still like the content and enjoy it.

Questing can't remain the way it was. It would be impossible to recruit newcomers.
I never got around to the lock mount quest but I did the old paly mount quest in which the final quest was taking a group of 3-4 palys plus a healer to Scholo, where you had to do the boss under the floor and use a number of judgements in order on the spirits.

God it was so long ago now, but an epic quest (have the feat of strength)
I've hated questing then and I still hate it now BUT I have to admit that the current system is so much better than anything from the past. I like being guided so when I do quests for the first time I'm able to focus a bit more on the story and lore and less about the location of an item or mob.
Questing can burn in hell b4 and after cata.
Honestly the quest back then was interesting compare to now, but if you were to ask me if it better, i say it better now...

They don't make you run in a loop, as where they ask you to kill this amount of trash in this area and come back and hand in to them and then ask you to kill another amount of trash in the same area for 2 or 3 times...

Also back in the old days, you have to run from one zone to another zone, then from that zone back to your original quest zone, then you have to run to another zone, then take a ship to another zone loot that quest item come back to your quest giver then take another quest run to another place kill a few set of trash, then come back to your quest giver again...
I like the current system better. You're able to tell a more cohesive narrative and you don't have to swap around zones to level. Take for example Westfall/Redridge/Duskwood You could start part of Redridge part-way through Westfall then go back to Westfall. Finish up Westfall go back to Redridge, Oops, no go to Duskwood for a few quests, now back to Redridge. Then Duskwood again.

It was tedious as all heck man. The level ranges in the zones and the requirements for them all was kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Having open world exploration is good in games that scale and don't require you to level in a semi-set path.

I think they're bad for games like WoW where there are level ranges. It makes things feel...forced. Like I need to do X in Y zone over for no reason. I need to stop questing where I am, helping these people just because of game mechanics, not because of any narrative.
I prefer the older way of questing. Cataclysm's "quest on rails" version is "go to new quest hub. Do a quest. Turn it in. Get 3 more quests. Do them. Turn them in. Get a quest to go to the next quest hub. Rinse. Repeat." Boring. If you don't do many of them, you simply can't do the next set. they don't appear. I miss being able to pick and choose whether I wanted Wetlands or Darkshore. STV or Arathi.

In fact, once you've played through the "story based questline", it is pure boredom afterwards. The old system could be boring. But it took a few times to get there.
If they had left questing and leveling alone (IE like it was in Van) it would take new players 6-12 months to hit lvl cap......maybe even longer for some. Honestly I buy the boost because leveling sucks so bad even as it is now.
Sooo much better now, honestly. I hated going to Crossroads and half of the quests were orange/red.

But, that said: I miss the design of old zones. Call it nostalgia.
07/01/2017 07:06 AMPosted by Hocustotem
If they had left questing and leveling alone (IE like it was in Van) it would take new players 6-12 months to hit lvl cap......maybe even longer for some. Honestly I buy the boost because leveling sucks so bad even as it is now.
Herm, I'm speaking purely based on leaving the scattered-ness of quests, but the XP levels would be similar to what it is now, a pretty rapid one. Not sure if I specified that. I shall edit that in.
I vastly prefer this questing system, but I don't like the massive xp boost. I decided to level a hunter from 1 recently, and I couldn't even make it partway through a zone before I'd have to move on. I've never seen the updated old world stuff because I've been max level since vanilla on several characters.

I feel like all this content that a lot people worked very hard on is going to waste. Even without heirlooms, you blow through it too quickly. It ruins the journey.
Hate the linear, on-rails questing in Cata that runs every quest as one long quest chain for each zone.

Sure, it makes for a more cohesive story, but it absolutely kills any sort of pick and choose for each zone and forces you down the same path every time. And if you see a nice reward in the zone you no longer have the option of picking up just that one quest or quest chain. You've got to do each and every quest up to that point. Finding a nice mog item is part of a quest chain is one thing. When you find out it's from step 16 of a 20-step quest, which only unlocks after a 10-step quest chain, which requires a 20-step quest chain to unlock itself, then it's annoying beyond belief.
Hello, my friends, it appears a slight majority prefer the way it is now, where both sides agree on the reason. My next question is, do you think this style could work for end game?

EDIT: Spelling.

EDIT 2: Or at all, ever again?
06/29/2017 01:25 PMPosted by Greatbobbo
Before, there were addons that did the same thing. Blizz simply incorporated them into the game.

I definitely like the game the way it is now. I remember having use apps like TomTom and Wayfinder, or even shelling out cash for gold guides like Hayden Hawke... ugh.
07/01/2017 04:09 AMPosted by Tulzsçha
The new style is certainly more streamlined but it gets bland doing the same 3 quests over and over. Almost all questing is now: Go to hub, pick up random kill quest + fetch quest + other quest, turn in, repeat, maybe kill a boss mob (that isn't challenging in any way) once in a while. It becomes very very dry after a while.

The old style felt more "alive" and interesting but was kind of a mess. /shrug. I think I prefer the old style if for no other reason than because it was a little more varied and it felt like there was more depth. Also turning in a dozen quests at once was nice.

The fact that the old setup was a mess, I think, was part of what made it great. It gave the game character and made it all feel a little more real. Post-cata is a little too linear, too designed, and too perfect, which makes for a constant distracting reminder that you're in a game. It's not all that different from a distractingly bland and perfect character in a book or movie.

And yeah, the meta-game of figuring out efficient ways to line up and stack quests was cool and surprisingly rewarding too. It was always fun to find some kind of clever shortcut, and you can't really do that any more.
I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. Congratulations on making it this far. You guys, too, all the ones Cata and beyond :)

Perhaps more conversation can be had with the new additions, I put into place. Happy hunting :)
06/29/2017 01:25 PMPosted by Greatbobbo
Before, there were addons that did the same thing. Blizz simply incorporated them into the game.

I preferred the system where the questgiver said to go collect 20 fat bear ears somewhere in the Northeast.
You had to head out that way, FIND the fat bears (not the skinny ones), pluck their ears off and return. (I never used the available questing addons.)

Now, you get handed the quest automatically as you approach the area, (marked on the map, and the area circled, and now, minimap dots showing where they are.) All the target bears are clearly marked with yellow base circles and mouseover text, so you just kill all the yellow-circled ones and the quest is done. Too easy, too fast, and no challenge beyond killing the bears if your levels are low.