wowhead is a virus trap?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next
Wowhead is evil. The Light shall smite this evil from this world!
07/09/2017 08:26 AMPosted by Cihys
Here's my post about the Powelik virus from 2014 in a thread about other people who got it from Wowhead. I never said I got a virus from Wowhead in January, I got malware.

So it doesn't really count with this discussion, but the name of a specific virus was requested and here it is!
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/15006681151#post-11

The Wowhead problems are nothing new. It's just like with the ramped up CRZ and RNG in Legion, they ramped up their ad providers.

Intersting... btw it is not a virus it is a trojan. According to what i read about it, it is usually from hacked sites. Which also means that if someone has an ad running through a one of those add windows/plates on a site that when that ad cycles in, the risk of installation is moderate.

I would wonder if this for example came from Wowhead itself, which would then mean that wowhead has been hacked, or from one of the ads that are constantly around the edges of their site.

Any site that runs the ads, more than likely for revenue, is going to be a risk.
07/09/2017 07:48 AMPosted by Blythedroog
Also it seems a lot of people here are extremely paranoid. Also they don't know the difference between real malware and a PUP or tracking cookie.

No, we know the difference.

You've made it apparent that you don't though.

Like i said before , i have nothing against wowhead, they just need to clean the site up because MB IS a real security risk to peoples computers.
"Why do people use ad blockers, we need ads to make revenue!" - Every site who lets ads do wetf they want. When I was little and playing neopets, I got an adblocker because of this exact problem
07/09/2017 08:42 AMPosted by Blythedroog
Intersting... btw it is not a virus it is a trojan.

If you knew anything about computers like you "claim" then you would know that Trojans ARE viruses.
07/09/2017 08:47 AMPosted by Valistria

If you knew anything about computers like you "claim" then you would know that Trojans ARE viruses.

BY that logic anything that is harmful to your computer is a virus.

There is a reason that there are classes, spyware, malware, ransomware, trojan... couple others. It is so that you know what you are talking about.

Malaria is a virus but do we just call it a virus? No we call it malaria because there are so many varied types of viruses.

On a very generic level a Trojan is a virus. So if you want to hope your VIRUS program covers it by all means be generic. Also feel free to have your Primary Care doctor perform brain surgery on you as well. Whats the difference? A brain surgeon is a doctor and so is your Primary Care.
Woohoo highly rated! I'll read through the rest of the responses on here but I'm glad people agree.

The reason it needs to be brought to attention is for years its been seen as a "safe website". Maybe it was 3 or 4 years ago but not anymore, so people need to realize that risk.
07/09/2017 09:06 AMPosted by Igyfarmyou
Woohoo highly rated! I'll read through the rest of the responses on here but I'm glad people agree.

The reason it needs to be brought to attention is for years its been seen as a "safe website". Maybe it was 3 or 4 years ago but not anymore, so people need to realize that risk.

No website is safe. I don't care if it is Microsoft itself.

I'll accept that correction and try to use it forward.

But it's just quibbling. Bad things happen to some of us when we go to Wowhead. Whether it's resource hogging, or blaring audio ads, or malware or whatever... bad things can happen.

Sure, some people don't have bad things happen to them either through luck or their own protections. Great for you! All I know is that the last two things I caught (true, years apart) both came from Wowhead.

Sidenote: Man, it would be nice to have better search functions. Can anyone find that link from... 2015?? where Wowhead was one of the top 20 "dirty" sites even worse than a lot of adult content sites? I think one link it was midway in the "Wowhead Thread: Downvote Here" about midway and since I am no longer impacted by the situation by virtue of not using the site any more I really don't care to waste any more time today :)

Edit: This isn't the article I was looking for but here's one
https://www.scmagazine.com/drudge-report-other-high-traffic-websites-delivered-malware-over-three-week-period/article/533808/
here it is! was linked in the first link
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/2015/09/large-malvertising-campaign-goes-almost-undetected/
07/09/2017 09:06 AMPosted by Blythedroog
07/09/2017 08:47 AMPosted by Valistria

There is a reason that there are classes, spyware, malware, ransomware, trojan... couple others. It is so that you know what you are talking about.

Malaria is a virus but do we just call it a virus? No we call it malaria because there are so many varied types of viruses.

On a very generic level a Trojan is a virus. So if you want to hope your VIRUS program covers it by all means be generic. Also feel free to have your Primary Care doctor perform brain surgery on you as well. Whats the difference? A brain surgeon is a doctor and so is your Primary Care.

Don't worry I'm sure your SSD will keep you safe from trojan's better watch out for viruses though.
07/09/2017 09:26 AMPosted by Ziryus

Don't worry I'm sure your SSD will keep you safe from trojan's better watch out for viruses though.

I hope you learn how to not be insulting and actually debate on an intelligent level someday.

I never said my SSD was protecting me, I only inferred it made the processing faster.

If you understood how operating systems work you would know that a hard drive has a section that even Linux creates to process temporary files, such as web page scripts. The faster they can process the faster your system can block an attack and move onto the rest of the web page.
If I have to look something up I use my phone or a tablet.
07/08/2017 04:45 PMPosted by Crepe
Many of us that frequent these threads don't mind a site making a living and don't begrudge them advertising to pay the bills.

I don't mind sites making a living. I do mind willful ignorance of a problem to make a buck. Wowheads motto of "pay us or... well you just better pay us" as they chew on a toothpick and smack a club in their hand is the issue. It's sites like theirs that cause me to do what I do.

My browsers all run noscript and an ad blocker. I haven't had Flash installed in years. My router has an ad blocker. If i do go to a shady site like wowhead i have a linux laptop i do that from.

There's a difference between sites making money and what wowhead does. Are all the ads on their pages malicious, no... but it only takes one. The worst part is Blizzard STILL ushers people to them which makes them just as culpable.

Places like wowhead don't care about their visitors, we shouldn't care about them. It may sound cold but my stuff is more important to me than other peoples paychecks and I will put me over them every time.

Malaria is a virus
No it isn't.
Wowhead is horrible, there is no denying that fact. We are free to decide if we actually visit that site or not. The bad part is that many players are not aware or do not understand the issues that can and have risen from this website while Blizzard sends these unsuspecting players right to the website.

Who really is to blame here - wowhead or Blizzard for feeding them numbers?
im not saying you are all wrong about wowhead.

but i am saying some of you are blaming wowhead when you should be looking at your internet habits instead.

im a very careful internet user, i frequent same sites and hesitate before going to new ones, if at all.

i run no adware, no virus protection and no adblockers.

i have ZERO issues with wowhead.

just sayin
07/09/2017 08:26 AMPosted by Cihys
Here's my post about the Powelik virus from 2014 in a thread about other people who got it from Wowhead. I never said I got a virus from Wowhead in January, I got malware.

So it doesn't really count with this discussion, but the name of a specific virus was requested and here it is!
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/15006681151#post-11

The Wowhead problems are nothing new. It's just like with the ramped up CRZ and RNG in Legion, they ramped up their ad providers.

Intersting... btw it is not a virus it is a trojan. According to what i read about it, it is usually from hacked sites. Which also means that if someone has an ad running through a one of those add windows/plates on a site that when that ad cycles in, the risk of installation is moderate.

I would wonder if this for example came from Wowhead itself, which would then mean that wowhead has been hacked, or from one of the ads that are constantly around the edges of their site.

Any site that runs the ads, more than likely for revenue, is going to be a risk.

Virus...trojan...semantics.

It's still a dangerous computer infection threat present with malicious advertisements from the ad network that Wowhead's owner, ZAM Gaming uses. And no matter what your choice of anti-malware programs may be, paid-registered or free, or whether an infection is a rootkit, a PUP/installer or bundler, a trojan, or exploit, it still came from the ads within the framework, given that they've been pulled from dangerous domains. Thus, the source of the problem is still malicious advertising, or malvertising. This is a big problem for Wowhead and ZAM, mainly because they chose the ad framework that has the biggest history of cycling and rotating malware ads from high-risk domains: MonkeyBroker, which was flagged by Sophos, Avast, and Malwarebytes.
07/09/2017 08:03 AMPosted by Ziryus
07/09/2017 07:48 AMPosted by Blythedroog
I am in no way saying that wowhead is safe. It takes probably 10 seconds longer to load than comparable sites because of a lot of the malware that is happening. The beauty of a SSD. But blocked sites, the more there are, the slower because some scripts have to wait on a time out.

As soon as you mentioned an SSD having anything to do with website load times I knew there would be nothing useful in this post.

wouldn't it help with cached or downloaded stuff though? Honestly not sure

07/09/2017 08:08 AMPosted by Crepe
They don't appear to be willing to change the advertising framework that's serving the ads.

That's what I am most focused on too really, it really seems like it would hopefully solved most of the issues.

07/09/2017 08:08 AMPosted by Crepe
I'm always disappointed in where these threads go. The above is a clear representation of why.

Oh i dunno, this one has been better than most really.
I'll tab out to check something, maybe I've gotten a bit lost on a quest or something. I've noticed that if I don't immediately close out the Wowhead tab, my game will suddenly run like I'm playing on a toaster. It's terrible.

I've not had any experiences with viruses because my scanners are doing their jobs, but even with adblockers, the ads are invasive and bog my system down to make the game nigh unplayable. For such a good resource, they really have shot themselves in the foot. I currently avoid going there for very long, and only if I'm incredibly stuck and I can't find the answer anywhere else. I used to love them and now I wish they would just stop.
There's nothing wrong with ZAM itself. I have ZAM websites unblocked. It's the other crap that gets loaded that I do have blocked. With most of Wowhead's scripts blocked, I get a couple legitimate adds and that's it.