Whats the worst thing that happened in WoW

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 18 Next
Dishonorable kills. The thing that killed World PvP back in the day.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, back in Vanilla, they introduced "dishonorable kills," whereby npc's that were at least a certain number of levels below you were given white names and marked "civilian." If you killed them, you got a "dishonorable kill," even a couple of which meant you'd earn next to no Honor points for that entire Tuesday-Monday week, no matter how many "honorable kills" you also got.

World PvP groups were generally a few max-level characters grouped with a bunch of other people that were at the typical level for the zone they were in. The max-level characters would occupy and take out the guards, while the lower-level toons attacked the town itself.

The issue? Some of the npc's in the town would be marked as "civilians" for the high-level players, but as valid targets for the lower-level players. Yet, even if such an npc was damaged and killed only by the people for whom it was a valid target, all of the people in the group that had it marked as a civilian would get a "dishonorable kill" even though they didn't touch it. End result? The higher-level players needed to get past the guards and get World PvP really going were no longer willing to get involved, lest they inadvertently pick up dishonorable kills and ruin their Honor gain for the week. World PvP never really recovered, even after dishonorable kills were scrapped soon thereafter.
While I didn't really care for the ability pruning in the first place, the stuff that took place in Cata and MoP at least seemed mostly reasonable. Subsequent pruning and the rise of "class fantasy" (read: spec fantasy to such a degree that they'll be quasi-classes unto themselves) was a bit much.

A lot of their changes to the game world to "merge" servers together–CRZ, sharding, enabling CRZ in current world zones–did not sit well with me either. I find them really disruptive at times to the feeling of an organic world and it offers the illusion of population with none of the benefits, while stripping low pop realms of their few actual benefits, such as reduced competition for resources out in the world, whether they're nodes or whatever else.

07/15/2017 12:17 AMPosted by Florence
Every expansion's release is bittersweet. It's so great to get new content and all, but leveling is such a burden. I mean there are already over 100 levels. That's enough. Now I know someone is gonna mention another game like "I play Super Galactic Wars Online and there are 400levels, therefore it's not as bad here..." be this is WOW we;re talking about. Really, they shoulda stopped at a nice, round 100 levels.

Besides these new, modern day levels dont even come with new spells or augments to spells and stuff scales thereby making leveling feel nullified. It's just like there for the sake of being there.

The purpose of the levels is to reset character power relative to the world without actually making our characters less powerful. If there's any hope of leveling ever going away, then Blizzard would need a viable alternative.
For me, it's a tie between CRZ and Pathfinder.
The removal of old content, notably the old Vanilla questing and the MOP/WOD legendary quest chains.
Me.
titanforging, dh tier 20/21 set bonus, lack of hoverboards like wildstar has
LFR
Wellare epics
Flying
Wartoonish graphics/MMO popularity making children interested in the genre
07/15/2017 12:30 AMPosted by Lorsaire
Whats the worst thing that happened in WoW?

The delusion and conceit that flight is somehow bad for the game and needs to be arbitrarily time gated for massive amounts of time.

Flight removes tedium from travel, and tedium is not good for games - let alone the fact the game isn't about travel, but what you do when you get to your destination. It gives you freed of movement and makes you more likely to explore, and helps immerse you in the world where otherwise flight paths are likely to cause you to afk. The thought it hurt world pvp is a farce, as that was dead from battlegrounds.

And because it is fun and so well liked by players, it actually helps retain players actively in the game making the game more populated and alive as we saw once flight was put back in Warlords and Legion, and as demonstrated by the fact Blizzard felt forced to put it back after saying it would be gone for good, since subscriptions and more to the point money is the only thing that would have changed their minds.

I'm just going to repost this since it's a perfect summation of the issue surrounding flight. But I will add that the removal of flight is actually a symptom of the overall change in design direction beginning with Warlords: the move to forced content to extend content length. This was an abandonment of the previous design approach which emphasized support for different play styles. The removal of flight is tied to this. But I would say that the divisions created in the player base over flight along with Pathfinder are absolutely the worst thing to have happened to game.

Flight was never an issue until Blizzard made it one. And they could easily fix it.
07/15/2017 08:17 AMPosted by Ludin
Dishonorable kills. The thing that killed World PvP back in the day.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, back in Vanilla, they introduced "dishonorable kills," whereby npc's that were at least a certain number of levels below you were given white names and marked "civilian." If you killed them, you got a "dishonorable kill," even a couple of which meant you'd earn next to no Honor points for that entire Tuesday-Monday week, no matter how many "honorable kills" you also got.

World PvP groups were generally a few max-level characters grouped with a bunch of other people that were at the typical level for the zone they were in. The max-level characters would occupy and take out the guards, while the lower-level toons attacked the town itself.

The issue? Some of the npc's in the town would be marked as "civilians" for the high-level players, but as valid targets for the lower-level players. Yet, even if such an npc was damaged and killed only by the people for whom it was a valid target, all of the people in the group that had it marked as a civilian would get a "dishonorable kill" even though they didn't touch it. End result? The higher-level players needed to get past the guards and get World PvP really going were no longer willing to get involved, lest they inadvertently pick up dishonorable kills and ruin their Honor gain for the week. World PvP never really recovered, even after dishonorable kills were scrapped soon thereafter.

Wait... that really happened? I guess Blizzard really wanted to hide that gaffe under the rug after the knew they dun' effed up!
LFR existing.
I was finding this thread interesting until it turned into another annoying flying debate.

But back on topic. There isn't any one thing that I feel was the worst thing to happen to WoW. For me, it's a series of many things.

-The removal of the honor system before BC launched.

-The removal of talent trees

- The removal of class quests.

- The introduction of heirlooms.

- The constant pruning and homogenization of all the classes. (Massive turnoff to me)

- The complete dumbing down of the game except for latest expansion content.

- The ridiculous change of making lower level dungeons nothing more than a means to speed level. (By far the change I hate the absolute most of them all).

- CRZ and sharding.

- The removal of all the RPG aspects of the game that made it the game I fell in love with.

- Epics and legendaries no longer being epic or legendary.

- The removal of older raids like the original ZG, Ony, etc.

- The revamp Cata brought to the game world. While I didn't hate Cata like I thought I would, I really miss the old world as it was.

Just to name a few. Those are some of the worst things I feel have happened to WoW. While I still like this game, it is now a literal shell of the amazing game it once was.
Mage Tower challenge.
07/15/2017 02:20 AMPosted by Cognozzle

5. The presence of flight cheapens the game experience to an absurd degree. It takes the players out of the world even more.

I have to disagree based solely on how much more beautiful the entire Pandarian landscape is from 1000 ft in the air. Adding a whole other dimension to the world does the opposite of cheapening the game experience in my opinion.

If anything players are seeing and using less content without being able to fly. I dont think there are many players who actually enjoy purposefully annoying terrain.

What is absurd is denying players the ability to fly until after the main use of it, questing, has already been done by players. It used to be a convenient tool for players to see and finish the content if they hit max level before all the quests were done. Now it is a cheap five minute amusement park ride available only once the park closes.
Flying was never an issue, until Blizzard made it an issue.

- Pharsalus

(Gonna make t-shirts and sell them at Blizzcon)
RNG.

Panda bears.

Heirlooms. Love them and use them, but they make leveling and low level content a joke. The faceroll mentality carries over to max level and it is one of the reasons instances are gogogogogogogogoGO. It also makes newer, no heirloom players look terrible and sometimes get removed from groups.
Flying
Followers
The mission table.
That dumb leveling a weapon grind that just never ends and times that by 3-4 spec plus 5 toons you like to play.
07/15/2017 10:07 AMPosted by Yayayayayaya
RNG.

Panda bears.

Heirlooms. Love them and use them, but they make leveling and low level content a joke. The faceroll mentality carries over to max level and it is one of the reasons instances are gogogogogogogogoGO. It also makes newer, no heirloom players look terrible and sometimes get removed from groups.

Yeah right the heirlooms are working so great in damage on mob in legion by the time I finish to 110 a fresh toon can't kill a bacon mob quest. When at max level I continue the invasions to get whatever 850 nethershard gear that procs to get into rf to find more ideal stat gear.
Cross Realm Zones, item levels, Trade chat and Mythic Dungeons.