No more downvotes?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 181 Next
I think this is a step in the right direction. I am going to miss down voting all of Crepes posts though.
07/11/2017 10:58 AMPosted by Crepe
07/11/2017 10:54 AMPosted by Ornyx
Let's take off our tin foil hats here.

You're impeding our national industry...

I'm not a big fan of "like" everything. If you have the ability to "like" something, you should see the other side of the coin.

Living in a world of only affirmation doesn't create discussion.

Yeah I feel like the best way to go about it is to either have it or not at all. I'm leaning towards 'not at all' because although it'd make gauging opinions clunky - polls wouldn't always work, for instance - it'd force a text response either in agreement or disagreement. I feel like it'd fit my idea of a forum better though.
07/11/2017 11:01 AMPosted by Rankìn
Especially since GM intervention for most trolls seems to be on par with a slap on the wrist with trolls sticking around for months on end.
Or in some cases those that account hop that have been around for over a decade.
07/11/2017 10:46 AMPosted by Ornyx
unintended abuse

Now i want to downvote this...

everything is an "abuse" now.

Give me a break.
07/11/2017 10:46 AMPosted by Ornyx
Yes, we’ve recently pushed an update to the WoW forums that removes the ability to downvote posts made by other players.

We originally added this feature as a means for players to assist with forum moderation by upvoting helpful posts and downvoting inappropriate or toxic posts. In practice, however, we found that it was primarily being used for things like downvoting a post simply because they disagreed with it, which was not the intent, and too often led to different opinions getting unfairly buried. Moving to an upvotes-only environment will remove this unintended abuse, while still allowing players to give recognition to posts that have a positive impact on the World of Warcraft community.

As a reminder, you can still report inappropriate or abusive posts to the moderation team by selecting the “Report Post” option located in the dropdown menu on the right of the offending post.

Well...it did actually say 'disagree' on the button.
All of the emotionally reactive types will have no idea what to do with themselves now.

*I need to like this post to counteract the negative someone gave it, although I don't really care. Oh I can't... what?! omg!

*I need to dislike this post to counteract the support it's getting, because I'm annoyed with that person getting positive attention when it should be ME getting it! Oh wait, I can't dislike now... omg wtf do I do?!!

*Since there's only a 'like' option now, I have to... like... actually think about if I like a post before I like it. omg I'm so confused! I can't take this!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Take it out

All that will happen is the first post that says what people like will get tons more upvotes to show dislike for those who posted what they didn't like, and more so

it will give the trolls incentive to post a lot of options fishing for upvotes by stating different sides of the issue over and over.

I kinda suspect it is because all those who posted things acti bliz liked got downvoted into oblivion and they didn't want that to show, kinda like they don't post sub numbers anymore.

so the really simple thing that will start happening is

quote followed by like or don't like in the post.

Meh, I seldom if ever posted up or down votes anyway, but I did find it funny how things tended to reflect that the devs were not in tune with the players in a lot of things.

Like flying

scaling

ilvl scaling

rng
etc.
07/11/2017 11:01 AMPosted by Avelissa
The ability to troll threads with downvotes, or downvoting for the sake of disagreement

Just to clarify:

Clicking the button that said "Dislike" on a post we didn't like was now, according to a blue, trolling?

Covering up what exactly?

Let's take off our tin foil hats here.

Covering up quite a bit actually. If there's a lot of disliked comments on a topic, good chance it's not popular (of the forum population) opinion. By only allowing the like button to continue you're pushing any opinions that are not +1 out of the game. If someone can add a +1, someone else should be able to add a -1, or you're promoting a false utopia of upvotes...

Many of the downvoted threads did not warrant a full reply. The dislike button was enough to say "I don't like this".
*puts on tin foil hat*

It wasn't the *original* intention. I wasn't here when it was implemented, and maybe there was a poor word choice on the button, but we're a bit past that now.

---

And now if there's not a lot likes, then it's still not popular?

I think your concern is how do we know x is popular versus y and z (wheras x may be a disagreement about game design and y may be a thread about Illidan lore). Things will be compared on the bigger picture now instead of thread by thread, which is how we've been doing it for a long, long time to be honest.
The ability to troll threads with downvotes, or downvoting for the sake of disagreement was the prime reason for removal here, and it nay make some increase in workload on the moderation side, but nothing we can't handle.

Is the downvote not the best means of disagreeing with something?

Saves a whole lot of words and seems like the intended effect of the button for literally every other website that has it.

Again, you could've done better.
Anyone have the thumbs down symbol handy?
All those threads started by people asking to be downvoted were really important to the feedback of this game, and shall be greatly missed.

Yeah, no.

The downvote feature contributed to the toxicity of this forum. You guys remember that, right? Forum toxicity has been the topic of several posts.

Now I guess people are going to have to put some effort into expressing in words their dislike for something.. and try to have it actually make sense.
I just thought of something. People who love the DISLIKE button, just post something like this.

DISLIKE

:D

Unless you are scared someone will find out it was you who DISLIKED?

You see, removing this doesn't take away our ability to LIKE or DISLIKE posts, it creates the opportunity to express your LIKE or DISLIKE in a conversation and not hide like a coward behind a stupid button.
Wow, this is... really bad. Letting trolls make posts with no indicator that people don't like it is really really dumb. Not sure why so many companies vehemently oppose dislike buttons nowadays.
Good change forum team
07/11/2017 11:03 AMPosted by Hamstar
07/11/2017 11:01 AMPosted by Thaldallin

It didn't discourage trolls, it ENCOURAGED THEM. And troll posts stayed on the front page longer because people would reply JUST TO GET UPVOTES. Not adding to any kind of meaningful discussion.

Your post makes no sense. Upvotes are still here and people can still reply to troll posts.

Yes. But it will happen a lot less now :).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think so.
You get upvotes!

And you get upvotes!

And you get upvotes!

Blizzard just became Oprah
Told y'all this was coming. Ornyx wrote on it earlier this year and you can see it cited in the link below.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20754967608?page=3#post-53

Look at the folks disagreeing in that thread. Did you guys really think they were gonna let that system stay>? Seriously, this forum cannot even be trusted with embedded images and signatures....
07/11/2017 11:05 AMPosted by Pathofpeace
All of the emotionally reactive types will have no idea what to do with themselves now.

*I need to like this post to counteract the negative someone gave it, although I don't really care. Oh I can't... what?! omg!

*I need to dislike this post to counteract the support it's getting, because I'm annoyed with that person getting positive attention when it should be ME getting it! Oh wait, I can't dislike now... omg wtf do I do?!!

*Since there's only a 'like' option now, I have to... like... actually think about if I like a post before I like it. omg I'm so confused! I can't take this!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I like you.
07/11/2017 10:50 AMPosted by Miadra

A very good move. I can only see this improving the atmosphere of the forums.

No it's not.... if i dislike something, i clicked dislike.. now i have to straight forward tell you that you suck ! and i don't even have to say why you suck.. well, how do you feel about that now ?

Good for the atmosphere i guess!

Creating a fake rainbow colored lala land is wrong. Taking the possibility away for people to express there disagreement with an post , buy clicking dislike, is even more wrong.
07/11/2017 11:05 AMPosted by Pathofpeace

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯