Do you miss classic Azeroth?

General Discussion
Excluding all other continents like Outlands, Northrend, Broken Isles, etc.. just Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, do you miss them? I mean we've been away from them for so long. In Legion we've been on the Broken Isles, in Warlords we were mostly in Draenor, in Mist we were in Pandaria, and so on... which brings me to another question: if the next expansion is about the Old Gods, would you want it to take place on a new continent or classic Azeroth?
I miss the feelings I had when I first started playing. But no one can recreate that so meh.
For nostalgia, yes. But the Cata zone questlines are better to me.
I miss the old world being full of people leveling. Putting new content there wouldn't bring that back.

I think what they should do is, since there's no dye system...re-color a ton of gear and sprinkle it to drop from mobs all over vanilla zones and give people stuff to farm for. It would be awesome.
07/06/2017 08:04 AMPosted by Kimmiroa
I miss the feelings I had when I first started playing. But no one can recreate that so meh.

Same! I started in TBC. Those were some good times.
As long as a new expansion gives me choices of zone leveling and doesn't restrict me to a linear storyline without choice of where I go, I don't honestly care that much.

I'm tired of feeling claustrophobic. No more tiny islands where I have no choice. And no more level scaling. It sucks for many reasons: giving the illusion of zone choice, when you have to run those four anyway; not really feeling like you've progressed; making heirlooms feel extremely underpowered because you can't out-level a zone; etc.

More space and no level scaling. Otherwise, they can make it wherever they want.
Yes, even though a few are technically better and maybe even more interesting now like Thousand Needles.
I did like the old Azeroth, because was so much easier to get around in most zones, but the questing is better in some zones in the Cata Azeroth.
I never saw the world before the Cataclysm. The updated world has been the standard world now for over 50% of the game's life.

That said I do miss how the world was in early Cata. There was a ton of people leveling on my realm. Everything was full of wonder and discovery. Just because I started in 4.0.3 doesn't mean that I didn't have the same feelings that those who set out to explore the World of Warcraft before me had.
I miss...

Running around and seeing all key places you played through during the Warcraft RTS.

Now, now I simple see a zone. :(

07/06/2017 08:09 AMPosted by Thallia
As long as a new expansion gives me choices of zone leveling and doesn't restrict me to a linear storyline without choice of where I go, I don't honestly care that much.

I'm tired of feeling claustrophobic. No more tiny islands where I have no choice. And no more level scaling. It sucks for many reasons: giving the illusion of zone choice, when you have to run those four anyway; not really feeling like you've progressed; making heirlooms feel extremely underpowered because you can't out-level a zone; etc.

More space and no level scaling. Otherwise, they can make it wherever they want.

I'd love it if the next expansion all the leveling was done doing using 'class quests' with maybe a handful of 'neutral quests' (like the Demon contract quest from the imp in Azsuna). It's so freaking boring to do the same damn quests over and over again for each of my alts. -- Especially the ones that you have to follow an NPC around to 'trigger' the next part of the quest (like Flamhom for the Artifact empowerment quest)....I already know where the mage is...just let me fly to her! -_-'
I miss the Pre-Cata world yes. When there wasn't so much destruction and fire. There were some breathtaking areas that are now just depressing.

As far as going back to those areas in an expansion, I'm indifferent. Maybe if they cleaned it up I'd like it, but that probably won't happen especially if we're fighting there.
I miss the nicer people that played in those areas.
07/06/2017 08:25 AMPosted by Viera
I miss the Pre-Cata world yes. When there wasn't so much destruction and fire. There were some breathtaking areas that are now just depressing.

As far as going back to those areas in an expansion, I'm indifferent. Maybe if they cleaned it up I'd like it, but that probably won't happen especially if we're fighting there.

I dunno...I mean just how long can Sentinel Hill remain on fire before it burns to the ground? :P

Seriously, I'd rather have the infamous Phasing Bug, that left people invisible to others (btw: Think that was fixed) if it mean the world would "live". Like is Theramore ever going to be rebuilt (last I saw, it was a smoldering crater).

Doing quests has next to zero impact on the world. -- It's only been recent that some quests change the world (Sentinel Hill comes to mind).

And those quests that do, just leave the zone/area static.

Use Phasing to tell the story of the world, that we help shape by doing various quests. Like we're asked to stem the tide of mobs in an area...and over the course of a month or so the townsfolk build out the town. Thank, in part, to us clearing out the hostile creatures.
If the next expansion is about Old Gods, then I'd like to see us discovering the other side of the world. Perhaps, an entire continent the size of Kalimdor or the Eastern Kingdoms. With the remnants of the Black Empire.

07/06/2017 08:09 AMPosted by Thallia

Agreed. Let's go continent-sized again with at least 8 zones or more.
07/06/2017 09:01 AMPosted by Kheradin

Agreed. Let's go continent-sized again with at least 8 zones or more.

Why just continent-size? Apparently, we have the whole other side of Azeroth that hasn't had any lore to create it. -- We've always just had Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdom.

Blizzard, give us the world; we'll give you are m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ hearts. ;D
I miss Southshore :(
07/06/2017 08:03 AMPosted by Dicedfox
Excluding all other continents like Outlands, Northrend, Broken Isles, etc.. just Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, do you miss them? I mean we've been away from them for so long. In Legion we've been on the Broken Isles, in Warlords we were mostly in Draenor, in Mist we were in Pandaria, and so on... which brings me to another question: if the next expansion is about the Old Gods, would you want it to take place on a new continent or classic Azeroth?

Old world had more of a Sandbox open feeling to it. So many things to discover and quests to do. WOD and LEgion feel like you are on rails and have to repeat the exact same quests in order over and over again. hardly anything to discover . Feels very tiny and small
07/06/2017 09:35 AMPosted by Hiramabiff
Old world had more of a Sandbox open feeling to it. So many things to discover and quests to do. WOD and LEgion feel like you are on rails and have to repeat the exact same quests in order over and over again. hardly anything to discover . Feels very tiny and small

I think this is moreso caused by the fact all the zones are self contained. The world was more dynamic in Vanilla and BC in the sense that I could find a quest giver in the Badlands, who would send me on a quest in the Hinterlands, back to the Badlands, to be sent elsewhere, etc etc.

That made the world feel like one full place as opposed to fragmented areas like they do in modern expansions (even though sometimes it went overboard. Looking at you Un'Goro). This does allow each zone to have 'stories' which Vanilla and BC zones lacked, but I think it would feel really cool to have a mix of both. Like each zone have it's own story but I periodically get sent elsewhere to talk to someone or grab something.
I miss the upper part of Sunken Temple.
07/06/2017 08:07 AMPosted by Drougan
I miss the old world being full of people leveling. Putting new content there wouldn't bring that back.

I think what they should do is, since there's no dye system...re-color a ton of gear and sprinkle it to drop from mobs all over vanilla zones and give people stuff to farm for. It would be awesome.

Not a bad idea. Wouldn't involve too much effort on blizz's part and would be an incentive to revisit the old world, bringing some life back to it again.