SPOILER the conclusion has been revealed.

Story Forum
07/11/2017 03:10 PMPosted by Vehkael
"The Shattered Mask" is literally the symbol of the Forsaken. He's talking about Sylvanas.

Sowing dissent and distrust is what Dreadlords do. It's their whole thing.

"When the Shattered Mask hangs over the Hearth"

Why would an enemy who is betraying you spend time hanging their faction symbol over a hearth?

Besides Vol'jin talked of his vision, of Sylvanas saving the Horde.

My bet is that Blizzard has to pull out some epic Hail Mary from Sylvanas, in order for the Horde to continue staying relevant story-wise. Because if they keep writing as they do, Sylvanas goes bad, everyone goes to raid undercity. Then most everyone Horde leaves the game or rerolls Alliance, because now every Horde leader from Vanilla is gone.
07/11/2017 05:18 PMPosted by Pocketwrench

Why would an enemy who is betraying you spend time hanging their faction symbol over a hearth

Unless you think Varimathras can see the future, I don't see why you are taking him so literal.
07/11/2017 05:19 PMPosted by Ximothy

Why would an enemy who is betraying you spend time hanging their faction symbol over a hearth

Unless you think Varimathras can see the future, I don't see why you are taking him so literal.

Because feng shui is srs bzns!
07/11/2017 05:25 PMPosted by Éamon
Because feng shui is srs bzns!

Now now, there's no reason to insult Feng Shui with this malarkey.
What if hes talking about Azshara?
What if he's talking about us, the player character? We are canonically female, because WoW needs strong, independent female characters, and in Suramar and many other zones in the past, we're using masks to hide our true identity. Finally, our masks shall be broken and we shall rise above the factions!
I hope I never fight the Legion again. So, so tired of them as an enemy.

Why would an enemy who is betraying you spend time hanging their faction symbol over a hearth?

Besides Vol'jin talked of his vision, of Sylvanas saving the Horde.

It's just a poetic way of saying the Human city will be overrun by the Forsaken. Varimathras is probably not being truthful. I hope not, anyway. I still want Sylvanas to do something truly heroic and world saving (even as she remains the problem leader of the Forsaken and/or Horde).
The most confusing part about Varimathras' statements are "When your thrones run red with betrayal". The shattered mask definitely refers to the Forsaken. But an attack on the Alliance by the Forsaken wouldn't be a betrayal, they're enemies, it should be completely expected. Betrayal usually comes from within. that doesn't mean that the Forsaken can't move in after the betrayal to mop up and lay claim to Stormwind.

"Hearth" usually refers to home. He's saying "when your enemies banner flies above your home". Usually when a force takes a place of importance during war, they raise their flag to show ownership.
07/11/2017 03:01 PMPosted by Argronak
So what do I think of this conclusion......its not that bad, so far imo this sounds a bit better than the conclusion of Starcraft 2 with Kerrigan becoming a god to defeat Amon.

God Starcraft 2's ending was so bad.

That is a really low bar to beat, but I fear that Blizzard is taking that as a challenge and may in fact take things to a whole new low.
07/13/2017 05:27 AMPosted by Lovecraft
The most confusing part about Varimathras' statements are "When your thrones run red with betrayal". The shattered mask definitely refers to the Forsaken. But an attack on the Alliance by the Forsaken wouldn't be a betrayal, they're enemies, it should be completely expected. Betrayal usually comes from within. that doesn't mean that the Forsaken can't move in after the betrayal to mop up and lay claim to Stormwind.

The broken shore is perceived as a betrayal, similar circumstances could come up again to leave the Alliance dependent on Sylvanas and she could betray them.
07/12/2017 10:03 PMPosted by Trilliam
It's just a poetic way of saying the Human city will be overrun by the Forsaken. Varimathras is probably not being truthful. I hope not, anyway. I still want Sylvanas to do something truly heroic and world saving (even as she remains the problem leader of the Forsaken and/or Horde).

This is the way I expect it to go. Unfortunately, I do believe Blizz is building Jaina up to be a villain of some kind, especially with the recent rumors that Kul'tiras might be the focus of the next expansion. And I think Blizz wants Jaina's sudden betrayal to be a surprise to most of the playerbase. So they've been doing their best to shift attention away from her.

She's completely removed her from the game after Broken Shore. She's barely even mentioned anywhere. Meanwhile, Sylvanas is always a popular target for controversy. I think Blizz WANTS us to shift out suspicions to her.

Her deal with Heylia, Varimathras' omens, and the fact that she's Sylvanas, are all things that are suppose to make us think she may finally go full blown villain. And at the very end, Jaina will pop up with tentacles for a face as the true villain, and Blizz gets to act like they're clever.
07/13/2017 05:49 AMPosted by Hackbrew
07/12/2017 10:03 PMPosted by Trilliam

This is the way I expect it to go. Unfortunately, I do believe Blizz is building Jaina up to be a villain of some kind, especially with the recent rumors that Kul'tiras might be the focus of the next expansion. And I think Blizz wants Jaina's sudden betrayal to be a surprise to most of the playerbase. So they've been doing their best to shift attention away from her.

She's completely removed her from the game after Broken Shore. She's barely even mentioned anywhere. Meanwhile, Sylvanas is always a popular target for controversy. I think Blizz WANTS us to shift out suspicions to her.

Her deal with Heylia, Varimathras' omens, and the fact that she's Sylvanas, are all things that are suppose to make us think she may finally go full blown villain. And at the very end, Jaina will pop up with tentacles for a face as the true villain, and Blizz gets to act like they're clever.
I agree with your assessment.

Then again, Blizzard isn't really known for any level of intrigue in the setting.
07/13/2017 05:48 AMPosted by Jerrod
07/13/2017 05:27 AMPosted by Lovecraft

The broken shore is perceived as a betrayal, similar circumstances could come up again to leave the Alliance dependent on Sylvanas and she could betray them.

I don't know if I'd consider a perceived betrayal and an actual betrayal the same thing. The Alliance think that they were betrayed by the Horde because they couldn't see that the Horde were facing off against a larger force and had no option other than retreat, but the Horde and players know better. Varimathras makes it sound like it is a definite, legit betrayal. "Thrones run red" definitely makes it sound like multiple leaders are killed from within. But we won't really know until we can see the conclusion for ourselves.

For all we know, we could be coming back from the broken isles, a joint force aboard forsaken ships (maybe sylvanas meeting up with her sisters breeds a bit of a truce in the aftermath of argus), licking our wounds after defeating the Legion and returning to Azeroth. The forsaken ships could stop in Stormwind harbor to drop off exhausted alliance survivors since their airship was destroyed. Jaina could arrive with the kul-tiras navy and think the ships are launching an attack on Stormwind and open fire on the ships killing alliance and horde in the process. Her killing alliance forces would be a betrayal. There would be blood spilled on the throne of the alliance (stormwind) while the forsaken flags are seen as the banners on the alliance hearth. That would give the horde and alliance reason to set sail for kul'tiras...

Probably not likely, but who knows what could happen.
07/11/2017 10:01 PMPosted by Neranthil
I hope I never fight the Legion again. So, so tired of them as an enemy.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20757607350
07/11/2017 04:25 PMPosted by Nathreim
Knew it all along we would never see the real end of the Legion this expansion. When blizz gets desperate Sargeras will escape and we will get another Legion expansion.

Yup, just like the LK. Pretty weak if you ask me.
07/11/2017 05:01 PMPosted by Ximothy
07/11/2017 04:25 PMPosted by Nathreim
Knew it all along we would never see the real end of the Legion this expansion. When blizz gets desperate Sargeras will escape and we will get another Legion expansion.

I don't think so, the Legion is over. Sargeras surviving doesn't mean the Legion will. Illidan is the jailer of Sargeras, not the Legion as a whole.

I think they are saving Sargeras for Void stuff.

I can see Blizz bringing Sargeras back for Void stuff with him as our ally. After all, Sargeras is on this crusade to combat the Void stuff. We might bite off more than we can chew, realize "Huh, we're kinda screwed, we might need help, and we are experts at making questionable decisions!"

I don't know how I feel about that, though. Who knows.
Alliance dialogue: "It matters not. You are blind to the true darkness closing in around you."

Horde dialogue: "It matters not. You are blind to the darkness in your midst."

For Horde the threat is internal, for Alliance it's external. If he was talking about Jaina it'd be the other way around.

Also his death quote is literally "Death claims us all" like come on.
I hope Sylvanas wipes out the Alliance. Long live the Queen.